Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neffster
Clint,

To answer your questions...

1. Yes they had to lift the engine. They used the standard lift plus a tranny jack and lifted the engine via the oil pan.

2. The noise is way too quiet. When I ran the z-tube and Popcharger, my car was LOUDER than it is now with the following mods...

z-tube
K&N pannel filter (with stock air box)
crawford, plenum/headers/cats
JIC Y-pipe

The stock air box has resonators in it which really keep the car too quiet IMO. Now I'm having a hard time finding the right exhaust to give me a deeper and louder tone, yet one that does not give me the drone at idle. I'm afraid that Fujitsubo will be too quiet, Stillen too much of a drone at idle speeds, Borla is too many sections IMO, Injen blows fiberglass... what to do???
Thanks Neff. Hurry up and get to the dyno already.

This was my experience w. the sedan version of the Fuji exhaust. YMMV w. the coupe. Initial impression was that it was definitely way too quiet and transparent. So much so that I had wonder why I even bothered; what a waste of money? The psychological expectation may have also contributed to the initial let down. Over the next few hundreds of miles, the exhaust tone deepend and the volume increased as the packed fiber-glass as well as my 'head' starts to break-in. The haul of the Fuji is unmistakably clear ... something I was too disturbed initially to hear. After 40+k miles, which includes plenty of open tracking, I can definitely tell you the exhaust has gotten louder (as do all other other exhausts) as the fiber-glass continue to melt and lose some of their dampening properties.

Here's another perspective. Even when my Fuji was still a noobie ... a set of test pipe was still enough to make me go ... Blah! Wayy too loud and drones. Now w. a set of Crawford Cats ... it's certainly a lot more tame, but I would say still a tad bit louder than I would have like. What I'm trying to say is ... it's almost a blessing to have quieter exhaust to start. It will only get louder from that point and is is always easier to make it louder than it is to make it quieter.

Having said all that ... I've also recently heard and rode in the HKS Ti tipped in person (for the coupe). That was sweet!!! Also looks better than the Fuji IMHO.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by THX723
Thanks Neff. Hurry up and get to the dyno already.

This was my experience w. the sedan version of the Fuji exhaust. YMMV w. the coupe. Initial impression was that it was definitely way too quiet and transparent. So much so that I had wonder why I even bothered; what a waste of money? The psychological expectation may have also contributed to the initial let down. Over the next few hundreds of miles, the exhaust tone deepend and the volume increased as the packed fiber-glass as well as my 'head' starts to break-in. The haul of the Fuji is unmistakably clear ... something I was too disturbed initially to hear. After 40+k miles, which includes plenty of open tracking, I can definitely tell you the exhaust has gotten louder (as do all other other exhausts) as the fiber-glass continue to melt and lose some of their dampening properties.

Here's another perspective. Even when my Fuji was still a noobie ... a set of test pipe was still enough to make me go ... Blah! Wayy too loud and drones. Now w. a set of Crawford Cats ... it's certainly a lot more tame, but I would say still a tad bit louder than I would have like. What I'm trying to say is ... it's almost a blessing to have quieter exhaust to start. It will only get louder from that point and is is always easier to make it louder than it is to make it quieter.

Having said all that ... I've also recently heard and rode in the HKS Ti tipped in person (for the coupe). That was sweet!!! Also looks better than the Fuji IMHO.
I actually had the chance to ride in a HKS FULL Ti exhaust this last weekend and never got around to it. C-Keith still owes me a ride in his G, but even he said that that exhaust was kind of quiet...

Old 04-12-2005, 04:18 PM
G Kreuzer
Are we speaking of the same unit? The older *FULL* Titanium model from HKS is a lot different from the new Titanium *tip only* version with the 2ndary baffles attached to the mufflers.

Personally, I thought it was pretty quiet too. It felt quieter than my Fuji w. Crawford Cats. But not having lived w. the unit on a daily basis I'm afraid my assesment may not be as accurate. I was told by the owner that it borderlines droning at cruise speed (2500-3000rpm) during his commutes. This being subjective ... may be different for everyone. I still love the way the HKS sounds standing from directly AFT the car. It's got a very raw and mean bark to it. The Fuji's sound in comparison is a little less raw and retained more of the stock 'purrrrrrrr'.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
As an FYI, when I was at Lokey this weekend Joe said he just recently installed an HKS system. He was very impressed with the fit and the sound. Said it was top quality material.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:07 PM
G Kreuzer
So Neff ... how was the Dyno??? ... would like know how the headers fair!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by THX723
So Neff ... how was the Dyno??? ... would like know how the headers fair!
Well, I've removed the JWT Popcharger and added a K&N, added a useless and expensive y-pipe, had 3000+ miles on my oil, had ~7K on my air filter and...

The dyno runs seem to show that the Crawford Headers offset any and all losses I've picked up due to my heavier 19's.

The problem is that my pre-dyno run was on another dyno and it was 1 year ago. Quite a few variables have changed so making a direct comparison is tough. One undeniable fact is that the car is much quicker at the track.

A quick summary... the average of the 3 runs of the BONE STOCK 2004 6MT (at peak hp and tq) was 232rwhp and 230tq. My G with the heavy 19's averaged over the same 3 runs... 244rwhp and 228 tq. That pretty much shocked the heck out of me. This means that the heavy rims and tires are robbing me of major power and torque since last year I was up 17rwhp and ~12 tq over the other stock 2004 6MT without the headers and heavier tires. I haven't overlaid the graphs yet to see where I'm making more hp/tq, but I'm tempted to go back and re-dyno with my stock 18's in another month or two just to see the difference.

The worst thing is that G35Sean's car is misfiring all over the place. He dynoed the LOWEST of all G35's at our dyno day and he just had the complete Crawford Package installed. Those 2003 5AT have been known to be fickle, but that is just depressing!

I'll put together an unbiased write up and let others draw as many of their own conclusions as they like in the next week or so. We also have some interesting spacer and plenum results on different cars with no baselines, so take things for what they are...

Old 05-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Does Crawford have a website?

Old 05-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZXiMan
Does Crawford have a website?
http://www.crawfordz.com/headers.htm