Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Dyno'd KJR Performance Lightweight pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SixFive
So are there gains or are there not . WTF is wrong with saving precious launch time and having a stronger first gear. No one stated there were massive gains once the "mass" was moving along. If nothing else, I can tell that my car launches better as it bogs less thanks to the first gear gains you ascribe to the pulley above. I never said I felt tremendous pull once the car was moving at a good clip now did I???
I don't think there's anything wrong with reducing launch time. However, keep in mind that reducing rotational inertia of the motor actually can hamper a car's launching ability because the lower inertia can make the car more prone to bogging. This is why you'll never see a manual drag car with a lightened flywheel and such. I know for a fact that my UDP did make my 5MT VQ30 far harder to launch effectively. With an auto, this probably isn't so much an issue.

When I pull hard on Z's in my 27 HP less (stock), 200 pound heavier car - there's no doubt in my mind that folks like MeChee do nothing but a dis-service to this forum trying desparately to impress us with thier vast knowledge and credibility that doesn't apply here while never having owned the mod. Again I ask: How can a 6, 7, 10 or half pound decrease in weight at the end of the crank not provide gains in a gear???? Maybe I'll do a handy dandy cut and paste of the pyhsics formula that says if you have less mass, acceleration is positively affected for a given amount of force or thrust. Don't lose sight of the trees for the sake of the forest.
I don't know what to tell you about the Z's. I know my basically stock G sedan auto is within .1 seconds of the stock auto 350Zs at my track and my trapspeed is actually fractionally higher than their's by about 1mph.

I don't think MechEE is trying to wow people over with fancy formulas. Those formulas a legitment for the subject. If reducing a majority of the rotational inertia was the answer to faster acceleration, I think we would be seeing lots of cars with super light accessories, flywheels, and pullies. I don't it's the expense that's the question, it's the driveability. When you reduce the inertia of the motor, you make it far harder to launch and drive smoothly (as stated above)

Spread baseless misinformation and suddenly propose to have the answers that aren't there and I'll call it out. Our readers deserve better.
IMO, MechEE has done more than an adequate job answering all the questions posted. I just think it's gone over a lot of people's (not saying you) heads because they can't or won't do the math or research.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MechEE has it right.

For proof of a gain would be to take it to the track with a consistent driver and see if there is any increase in ET or MPH.

Even if a Dyno can't/won't show a gain the Track will. And if a mod does not gain a consistent ET of .10 seconds or better or .5mph or better I personally would not waste my money on it.

*one exception is the MREV, It CAN show a gain of HP (not peak), on a dyno and in the RPM range where it does help a daily driver and not a 1320 track car.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Look Dave I hear you, but for every hot azz punk that comes on the board and throws around a formula, there is someone else who can throw another formula or another argument with the exact opposite hypothesis. As always, we'll have to leave it up to the reader to get through all the crap and make an informed guess about which camp is correct.

Some of these threads go one way, some the other. I think most UDP'ers are over arguing the same points with the einstein d'jour. It had been a while for me so it was fun throwing some jabs again. I could care less whether I am right or wrong, I've take a hit in the wallet for making bad decisions and admit my mistakes readily.

Also- I own an auto and found my torque launching was improved with the shedded weight. I got a 2.19 my first post pulley launch and blew the doors off a coupe by 300', so maybe I am biased. I pulled about 3 car lengths in first gear oddly enough. It can't be all pulley for sure but god i was running 2 mph and .3-1.0 seconds faster than all stock Z's that day...and it wasn't because of my weight loss program LOL.

"It is quite humorous that you compare my argument to a religious faith, yet your argument relies solely on "but other people believe it" and "i can feel it, i really can".
Ok so I own it test it and report on it and what do you offer. Conjecture. Just like proving mods takes data and results, disproving them takes more than 9th grade math and unsolved formulas. Oh and I can feel it. I feel it tingle down my spine when I pull on 06 6mt's and Z's! And you must feel like a champ since your safe and sound in your textbook of misapplied information. Try it and then come back and wax condescending.

You can disagree with me and all the other UDPers but you speak from a basis lacking experience with the actual product and stink up the joint with your condescending tone. Meanwhile I win every drag race at the track and laugh at those who naysay with nothing other than babble while my results show effectiveness for me..the one who drives the car.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Well when you do finally pass the 9th grade, feel free to hit me up once the math isn't so scary. I look forward to your intelligent thoughts on my assumptions and results and where you think they went wrong.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
They went wrong when you started typing. Thanks for coming...

Old 01-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
They went wrong when you started typing. Thanks for coming...
Haters...

Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 PM
You guys talk about it like the thing is a 500.00 mod , its only 160, how can you go wrong with a little improved acceleration for 160?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by fx45copper
You guys talk about it like the thing is a 500.00 mod , its only 160, how can you go wrong with a little improved acceleration for 160?
Who would pay $160 for a fraction of 1 hp?

Old 01-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, the lightweight pulley is only 1 HP, maybe 2, depending on the gear; the lightened and underdriven pulley is a bit more. How much more may be up for debate.

I think, though, fx45copper, that the problem is not the price. The problem is that some people think the lightened and/or underdriven pulley is detrimental to engine life. They are probably right; however, my opinion is that it is so minor that it may reduce the engine life from 500k to 450k miles. Thats all opinion, however, and really, nothing has been proven either way as to the exact detrimental effects the pulleys have.

Dave

Old 01-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Caelric, what is the oil spacer in your sig about?

Old 01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
remember, butt-dyno can often be deceiving. people have been saying that light-weight pully is only good for faster revving... no real horse power gains... and you just confirmed that yet again. thanks for sharing with us, though. you saved me a bit of moneys.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
I read someones post about the light weight pulley showing no hp gains on the dyno so a fraction of 1hp wouldnt make a difference. It is an acceleration mod just like the flywheel, if it helps acceleration why not. I bought one , gonna install it on friday - i'll post what I think about it. I think the car should wind up faster, matter of fact im neck and neck with my friends G so we will see what happens after install.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I read someones post about the light weight pulley showing no hp gains on the dyno so a fraction of 1hp wouldnt make a difference. It is an acceleration mod just like the flywheel, if it helps acceleration why not. I bought one , gonna install it on friday - i'll post what I think about it. I think the car should wind up faster, matter of fact im neck and neck with my friends G so we will see what happens after install.
The only way your car is going to accelerate faster is if it's putting out more power on the dyno. If it makes no power on the dyno, it's not making you accelerate any faster on the street. (In general)

Last edited by MechEE; 01-10-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
it's a win/win situation for me. My girlfriend ordered me the sway bars + pulley for christmas lol, the sway bars still havent gotten here yet , they are going out on friday =\ been waiting since the 24th.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:57 PM
it's a win/win situation for me. My girlfriend ordered me the sway bars + pulley for christmas lol, the sway bars still havent gotten here yet , they are going out on friday =\ been waiting since the 24th.
Be sure to write back on your experience with it. Is it just lightweight, or also underdrive?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd KJR Performance Lightweight pulley