Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Dyno'd KJR Performance Lightweight pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006 | 09:37 PM
It is the KJR lightweight, no underdrive. What happened to the "rule of thumb that for each pound taken off the crank, an estimated 2.7 horsepower can be achieved?"

Old 01-10-2006 | 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by fx45copper
It is the KJR lightweight, no underdrive. What happened to the "rule of thumb that for each pound taken off the crank, an estimated 2.7 horsepower can be achieved?"
It went the way of the witch hunts.

Last edited by MechEE; 01-10-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2006 | 09:41 PM
lol

Old 01-13-2006 | 03:17 PM
KJR Pulley was installed. The car feels alot smoother with acceleration, first gear is definately faster , i spin the tires more while rolling at 3k rpm and punching it. Acceleration from 30-50 in 2nd gear dropped a half second, 4 to 3.5. The car definately winds out faster in first and second gear, 3rd is around the same - might feel a little different but not much. The vehicle had generally the same amount of gas (fuel light was on with 0 miles till empty on the navigation system both runs). I think everyone has posted a review like this who has the KJR pulley, so whatever your argument may be the pulley does something- I didnt really notice a difference in revving while in neutral, the transition from 1st to 2nd is smoother. The car feels like 1 person is in it when there are 2, (you know how it feels a little slower with 2 people). Overall it was a good mod, I recommend it no matter what scientific statistics say.

Old 01-13-2006 | 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
Caelric, what is the oil spacer in your sig about?

Sorry, I missed your question.

The oil spacer is just a large gasket really (made of aluminum) that increases the oil capacity of the oil pan by 1 quart. More oil is better, generally, it helps keep things a little cooler. You wouldn't want it to get too cool, of course, the engine needs to be in it's proper operating temp, but a little more oil helps, especially on long trips, or any kind of high speed runs.

Dave

Old 01-13-2006 | 03:28 PM
Oh, and fx45copper, while I am a believer in UD and lightened pulleys, I have to say you are almost definitely imagining things. The lightened pulley alone is going to make very little difference.

But hey, if it makes you feel good, then it was money well spent.

Dave

Old 01-13-2006 | 07:07 PM
It makes enough of a difference to notice a change in the cars drivability. I notice the faster and more smooth acceleration. I counted the acceleration from 30-50 several times before the pulley install, I'm convinced and I guess that is all that matters. I think some people are overly optimistic about the gains but I mentioned I would post my feelings after the install.

Old 01-14-2006 | 07:35 PM
It makes enough of a difference to notice a change in the cars drivability. I notice the faster and more smooth acceleration. I counted the acceleration from 30-50 several times before the pulley install, I'm convinced and I guess that is all that matters. I think some people are overly optimistic about the gains but I mentioned I would post my feelings after the install.
Glad that you feel it was a worthwhile mod. If you think your car is faster, that's all that matters.

But it's in your head.

Old 01-14-2006 | 10:23 PM
I am losing traction alot more than I use to in 1st gear, wish you could drive the car and see for yourself.

Old 01-15-2006 | 02:07 AM
I am losing traction alot more than I use to in 1st gear, wish you could drive the car and see for yourself.
Who knew that 1-2 hp could make such a difference. Unfortunately just driving the car before and after is just too subjective and susceptible to placebo. You're looking for it to be faster, so it is. I don't need empirical proof to know that if I cut the mass of an object in half for a constant force, it's going to accelerate at twice the rate. Same goes for the crank pulley. The true gains were known before you installed it. If 1-2 hp in 1st and under 1 hp in 2nd-6th feels that good for you, then awesome!

Old 01-15-2006 | 05:50 PM
I dont think horsepower has anything to do with it. I think the crankshaft is turning easier due to the lighter weighted pulley hence causing faster acceleration, atleast thats the way I feel about it.

Old 01-15-2006 | 07:14 PM
Heh. Yes, it is turning faster, because there is less parasitic drag, thus more horsepower to the wheels. Approx 1-2 HP depending on the gear. Again, if that makes you feel good, great, a worthwhile mod.

Dave

Old 01-17-2006 | 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by caelric
Heh. Yes, it is turning faster, because there is less parasitic drag, thus more horsepower to the wheels. Approx 1-2 HP depending on the gear. Again, if that makes you feel good, great, a worthwhile mod.

Dave
Careful careful Dave, fx45copper is just going to resort to badmouthing you on the forums if you keep pointing out his error.

Yes fx45copper, your shedding of a few pounds off of your crank pulley has resulted in a 25% decrease in your 30-50 mph acceleration times, and it has nothing to do with an increase in power to the wheels. You are completely correct.

Old 01-17-2006 | 10:25 AM
Don't worry FX45Copper, there are those that have the mod and those that purport to know about that which they've never experienced themselves. It's all in your mind...LOL.

What's actually worse? That you may have the placebo effect going on here or that someone who has never tried this mod on a G35 is suggesting that you DO have the placebo affect while only validating without any merit or evidence what they wish or want to believe is going on...again never having experienced it!

I guess anytime someone reports positive results (as they always do), the anti modders who have wasted thousands on crap in thier own horrible pasts will attack in a fury of vengance like pirahnas for the sake of saving the world from "wasting" money. But we know FX, we know when we go to the track and drive the thing.

Just like the world of finance and capital markets...you have to be careful not to let reality smack you in the head while you have it buried in a textbook.

Funny how in Mechee's world, the crank could be thoerotecially weightless, but a textbooks says it doesn't matter, it won't accelerate any faster and we have to ignore most of the basic laws of physics. And then there are those that have tried the frikkin thing!

Last edited by SixFive; 01-17-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2006 | 10:51 AM
Hey, SixFive, I have the mod (an underdrive version, even, which you would see if you read my sig or any other posts on the matter) and despite what you might think you have read about it, MechEE even admits that the lightened version makes some HP (about 1-2 in 1st gear, less in high gears).

Maybe instead of instantly badmouthing someone who makes claims that you don't understand, based on actual science, rather than the "I feel good placebo effect", you might actually try reading and understanding his arguements.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd KJR Performance Lightweight pulley