Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

CAI vs Stock Air Box Test Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb CAI vs Stock Air Box Test Results

One of the debates that has popped up on Driver now and then is the CAI vs. stock air box discussion. One side saying the stock air box is basically a CAI so, no reason to waste your money and change to a true CAI. The other side saying the CAI would reduce air intake temps which may translate into added HP. I think I can bring a partial end to this debate with some test results.

I recently changed out my stock air box for a Nismo CAI. Prior to changing the stock box out, I took air intake temp readings at idle and at 45 MPH. Both readings were taken at the same location each day on my daily commute over a period of a couple of weeks. Air intake temps were taken via a Blitz R Vit. The outside air temp was also recorded via the dash display at the same time. Once the stock box was changed out to the Nismo CAI, the readings were all repeated with the same methodology.

The attached chart has the complete results. The blue lines are the stock air box trend lines @ idle and @ 45 mph. The orange/red lines are the CAI trend lines @ idle and @ 45 mph.

At idle, it appears there is minimal difference between a CAI and the stock box. Both get heat soaked at nearly the same rate. However, at 45 mph the CAI reduces air intake temps by approx 7 to 15 degrees. Now, if this translates into added HP/TQ is another question completely.

One additional item that I did notice, but not record during the test, is that the temp curve drop off after an idle condition is much steeper with the CAI then the stock box. Within seconds of accelerating, you are within 6-10 degrees of the outside air temp.

Bottom line, it appears the CAI does as advertised and reduces air intake temps by 7 to 15 degrees at speed.

Attached Thumbnails CAI vs Stock Air Box Test Results-cai-vs-stock-air-box-temp-1.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good results, thanks.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this for a 4" popcharger using a stock 06G35X airbox no mods Remove this plastic peice. Heres your pop-charger