G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil leak

Okay so I've looked on the forum and I know it's been talked about and it's common but I'm still a bit confused. I changed my spark plugs, did brakes, rotors, installed a Z tube and cleaned my air filter. Then I did an oil change but I have a leak. I read that most people say it's the O ring or the Drain plug gasket, so should I just replace both? Every where I look, it seems that no one replaces both when they talk about it.

Last edited by Montzster; 07-15-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,026 Likes on 943 Posts
Get under your car and see if it is coming from the drain plug. Wipe it off and you will notice it.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Before you can fix any leak you must discover where the leak is coming from! Wipe your entire pan off, let your car idle just long enough to circulate the oil. Now you can watch where the drip is coming from, drain plug or filter.
Gary

Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last picture you posted was of an oil cooler gasket which if you just did an oil change you shouldn't have touched the oil cooler. But if it wasn't leaking before you did the oil change, your most probable causes of the leak are going to be your drain plug, either isn't tight or the washer is bad , or it's your oil filter, could be not tightened enough, cross threaded, meaning you did not thread it on correctly and it still got tight but did not seal, or the gasket from the old oil filter stuck on so when you put your new filter on which came with a gasket already on it, would have double gasketed the filter causing a leak. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Oil change is one of the few things I just take my car in for. Not worth the *** pain IMO.

You only really save a few bucks considering your time.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:13 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by G35freaks
Oil change is one of the few things I just take my car in for. Not worth the *** pain IMO.
Come on G35freaks, what's more fun than getting up early on a Saturday morning to change your oil/filter before it gets hot? Open the hood, remove the dip stick/filler cap and jack your car up. Throw a pan under your car, remove a few bolts then pop off that drain plug/filter. Now you can go back inside and have breakfast while she drains. Do everything in reverse and you're good for another few K miles after you've checked for leaks. Did you install one of those copper gaskets on the drain plug? You know I've only done that maybe twice in 68K miles of oil changes, never had a drain plug leak!
Gary

Old 07-14-2017, 02:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Come on G35freaks, what's more fun than getting up early on a Saturday morning to change your oil/filter before it gets hot? Open the hood, remove the dip stick/filler cap and jack your car up. Throw a pan under your car, remove a few bolts then pop off that drain plug/filter. Now you can go back inside and have breakfast while she drains. Do everything in reverse and you're good for another few K miles after you've checked for leaks. Did you install one of those copper gaskets on the drain plug? You know I've only done that maybe twice in 68K miles of oil changes, never had a drain plug leak!
Gary
Yeah, I replaced the copper gasket and the o ring too just because. I'm at 152k and haven't changed it since I got the car at 144k so I'm sure it doesn't hurt to do it Trying to replace everything I can just to be at peace

Old 07-14-2017, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by G35freaks

Same here.

I used to do the oil changes but now I just let the dealer do them.

I only do the air and cabin filter replacements

I can make an online appointment

Watch TV, free coffee, snacks, bottled water, juice and they wash and vacuum my car.

Telcoman

Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
get a Fumoto valve and be done with it.

http://www.fumotousa.com/index.php

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 01:28 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Amen to that, just added one to my GTO yesterday. Best $20 mod ever!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.