Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

IPDM re-learn?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPDM re-learn?

Howdy all,

2004 g35 sedan auto trans

I had to service that's right open and clean all the connectors on my IPDM. the cover was removed and never put back on so rain and car washes messed it all up. had to put new connectors on wiring harness too...

so car starts and runs, however ac don't work, wipers wont wipe, windows roll up then back down when they hit the top so cant use auto stop.

Does the computer need to relearn the ipdm? im thinking not, I mean every time you disconnect the battery need to relearn? that makes no sense but I cant think of anything else.

oh, I also swapped spare IPDM and once I connected the battery wipers would turn on with out the car even being on, no key in ignition, that's the other reason that's making me think IPDM must be re-learned.

ok any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 09-30-2017, 09:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,472 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The IPDM doesn't have any digital circuitry, no relearn. Piece of advice for you though, NEVER wash down the engine compartment on a vehicle, you might as well use a garden hose to clean out your computer. If you want to clean it use a shop towel and spray degreaser I prefer brake cleaner) onto the towel and then wipe down the dirty components. Use compressed air to remove dust and dirt but hosing down the engine bay ESPECIALLY with the battery cover removed is a recipe for electrical disaster.

If you owned an old Ford pickup truck with a distributor ignition I still wouldn't recommend hosing the engine bay, if you absolutely MUST use water because of off-roading in mudholes then wash it with water but don't use a sprayer and avoid all electrical connections and harnesses.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Circuit board inside the IPDM

Engine bay has not been washed, just the car, like at car washer. but the design allows for some water to come down the water channel along the bottom of windshield, and if the IPDM cover is in place the water would not hit any of the connectors. but if there is no cover they get some water dripping. so I blame the dealership for 1. not telling me why the ipdm got water damage the first time around, and 2. for not recommending to sell/ install the cover.

well good to know that the ipdm does not have a relearn... however if you open these IPDM's up there is cpu and circuitry.
Circuit board inside IPDM

Old 10-01-2017, 09:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well that's news to me! I've never disassembled one before and figured it was just a bunch of pass-through connectors but I see now that it has digital monitoring for the ECU or something? Post more pics of the housing where all the relays and fuses normally go. Preferrably in an exploded view layout please.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 PM
IPDM guts n glory

So is there a change on thoughts of re-learn? cause it sure seems like it to me. been trying to get ahold of a dealer service tech... but all they say is bring it in...

Old 10-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Ipdm,/water pump

Does the ipdm controll the water pump because my g35 coupe 2007 is running hot and I'm trying to determine if I should replace it then the pump or just for both

Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Water pump is controlled by the timing chain

Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I would start with the thermostat not the water pump. You can check the radiator by using an infrared thermometer to compare temperatures between the inlet and outlet hoses, should drop ~30-50 degrees F depending on airflow and ambient temperature.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 PM
bone stock
Originally Posted by hrabini

So is there a change on thoughts of re-learn? cause it sure seems like it to me. been trying to get ahold of a dealer service tech... but all they say is bring it in...
I’m glad I found this thread. I really hope it gets opened up again, as I’m in this EXACT same boat. I just swapped out my IPDM and it solved all my other problems! Except now mine as well turn on right as the battery connects. Did anyone find the fix?

Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jack Bremer

I’m glad I found this thread. I really hope it gets opened up again, as I’m in this EXACT same boat. I just swapped out my IPDM and it solved all my other problems! Except now mine as well turn on right as the battery connects. Did anyone find the fix?
The thing is.... that repairing your IPDM is a fail . you can clean all the tracing connectors just fine but the damage has been done to resistors, chips etc... so unless you have schematics to the board and know exactly how it works and are good with soldering iron u just need to get a new one. and there is the kicker... getting a used one off ebay or third party anywhere... unless the serial/lot numbers match EXACTLY your going to run into issues of some components in your car working and others not. the IPDM is matched to your specific vehicle. I found out that there were at least 8-9 versions made for my vehicle which was a 2004/5 built. and of those versions they are programmed to match components installed in my vehicle. SOOOO really what Nissan did was build in a proprietary part that only a dealership can provide as they can match part numbers. I ended up having to wait another week because the dealership i went to did not have the correct part number and they got it from another place, (not factory as they told me when I asked). Your pretty much at the mercy of the dealership, now im a good complainer and i got them to bring down the price from $1400 part/labor to $900, partly cause i needed to also spend bucks on airbag switch, but that is another efing story.... grrrr.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's the same as replacing any other computerized component on your vehicle, ECM, BCM, etc, you need the EXACT part, this isn't anything new.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.