South Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

New Orleans (LA, MS) Red Bluff Rally - Nov 25th

Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Orleans (LA, MS) Red Bluff Rally - Nov 25th

A number of people from other forums and other groups (FerrariChat, AutoXForum) have organized a couple of runs up to Red Bluff in the past few months, and there is a third one coming up on Sunday, November 25th, and I'm hoping to get some local Louisiana or Mississippi G35 drivers out there.

This will not be a timed rally, but more for fun. The last two times there were some awesome cars and it was a great time. Some people from Ferrarichat are considering organizing a future poker run or timed rally, but that's for another day.

Here is an (edited) quote from the man who organized the first two runs:
Originally Posted by Evil Buddha
When: Sunday, November 25th at 7am
Meeting place: IHOP in Covington
Where to: Tail of the Little Red Dragon (Red Bluff)
Bring: Your own car, cash, camera, etc.

Meeting place: Be at IHOP restaurant in Covington, LA, at 325 N Highway 190 (North of I-12 on the west side of 190) (985) 893-4885. Waypoints: N 30 26.119 W090 05.099
To get to IHOP from New Orleans, take the Causeway bridge to Mandeville (remember to bring toll fees for the way back!) and go straight North down 190. After the I-12 overpass, it will be on the left next to a movie theater and a Books-A-Million.
Leaving: IHOP at 8:00am putting us at Red Bluff about 9:30am.
Directions from Covington: Take 21 North to 35 bringing you almost straight to Hwy 587 (Red Bluff). Take a right on US-98. When 35 ends, make a left behind the gas station on the left side of US-98 onto 587 (west of Columbia, MS)
We will stop at an overlook of the Bluff to review some basic procedures.
Then we will run Red Bluff Road a few times beginning at the overlook past Morgantown about 10:00 am.
Lunch: Meet in Monticello at Pizza Inn about 11:30 am (before the church crowd)
Afternoon stop: About 3 pm at Boyd's Museum & Ice Cream Parlor at 30245 Railroad St., Angie LA (1-985-986-8411) It is full of NASCAR race memorabilia from the owner's racing days.

Red Bluff is an EXTREMLY CHALLENGING ROAD! This is a rally and not a race. OBEY ALL LAWS! Stay in your LANE; don’t cross the line, try to pass, or push a slower driver in front of you. There are over 60 turns, hard drops and hills, most are blind. There is no shoulder and few places to pull off. If you can’t drive safely, STAY HOME! If you decide to participate, you and your passengers do so at your own risk and accept all liability for your actions and the actions of others both involved and not involved. Do not attempt it if you are unfamiliar with its hazards. Make sure your car is road ready. Don't forget your AAA card.
Also please consider to bring 2-way radios if you have them; they can be picked up at a relatively cheap price (about 20 bucks?) at Walmart. We will decide on a channel to keep contact on at IHOP.

Once we get to Red Bluff, we will be meeting on a dead-end street that is basically an overlook of the Bluff. From there, we will split into a few groups, with the fastest and most experienced drivers in the front, and those who want to go slow in the back.

We will review procedures for passing slower people (if you end up stuck behind them) at the overlook, I think.

Here are some photos from the previous one, and some photos (you must be a registered member of ferrarichat.com to see these) from the first Red Bluff Rally.

Here are a few videos of the last run, to give you an idea of the road. The videos do not really do Red Bluff justice, though:

Here is a link to the Autoxforum thread about the upcoming Rally:

The S2ki forums are bringing a good number of S2000 drivers, so let's see if we can't get a few people in the next few weeks!

P.S. Yes, I just joined the forums, but I have lurked around before. I do own a G35 Sedan ('02).

Hope to see some of you there!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i'd be down, but i don't have a day off till Christmas break

Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Ah, that's a shame. We probably won't get another chance to do it until spring - tires don't like to stick in the cold.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'll be there..... Just drove my car back from CA and ready for a another run!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Nice, see you there! Be sure to check here the night before for any last-minute notifications, or you can go make an account at autoxforum.com and check the Rally section, there's a pretty big thread there about it.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Looks like it's being postponed because the chance of rain tomorrow is really high. Hope you see this before leaving!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe I'm just now seeing this!!! I live about 30 minutes away!! PM me if this is still going to happen.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
We did it on the 9th, so you just missed it. I PMed you and will try to remember to PM you and DickyDan next time we have one. Sorry guys