SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

??? Thinking of Moving from boston to FL ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??? Thinking of Moving from boston to FL ???

Hello All who know me...

I have been thinking abt this for a few years now...i am 24 and live in
tax-achussetts aka boston,ma and been thinking of getting away...

all i have here is family which of course i will miss dearly...but can vistit =0)...

by next spring i hope to make this push and move to FL between miami and orland.....and susggestions from our FL buddies or locations....and

hows the job market down ur way...ill prob get any job i can to start the settle in

thx for info guys

Joe

Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay away from South FL unless you like the Service or Sales industry and can make 75k plus, b/c you need that to buy a house or even live decently.
South FL. is the most expensive cost of living and then it decreases as you move North. The panhandle is probably the cheapest to live and the best kept secret (oops) for a beautiful place to live and good COL. The only problem is the job market is more difficult up there. Your best bet is Central florida (i.e Orlando and surrounding cities or Tampa and surrounding cities) Job market is pretty good, especially now and getting better. You can also afford to live at the same time.
PM me if you need more info, but get the hell out depressing azz boston. It is great to visit, but not live. Too depressing and too expensive. Once you see the FL talent and weather/beaches you will be hooked!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I just moved down to S FLA about 15 months ago from Long Island. First I moved to Ft Lauderdale, now im in W Palm Beach. Its a load of fun down here, and the girls are ridiculous. But, there are some things I just cant stand about FL.

First of all, if you an engineer outside of civil, good luck finding a job. Market is terrible down here...I might actually be moving back up north.

Also, im really into dirtbiking and mountain biking...If you like that kinda thing, this is not the place for you, at least SE Fl.

Besides that havin a blast, still debating whether to stay with my pseudo Mechanical Engineering job at just about $50k, or going back north and making another 30%.

Good luck

Matt

Old 07-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by Cobra-2-G
Stay away from South FL unless you like the Service or Sales industry and can make 75k plus, b/c you need that to buy a house or even live decently.
South FL. is the most expensive cost of living and then it decreases as you move North. The panhandle is probably the cheapest to live and the best kept secret (oops) for a beautiful place to live and good COL. The only problem is the job market is more difficult up there. Your best bet is Central florida (i.e Orlando and surrounding cities or Tampa and surrounding cities) Job market is pretty good, especially now and getting better. You can also afford to live at the same time.
PM me if you need more info, but get the hell out depressing azz boston. It is great to visit, but not live. Too depressing and too expensive. Once you see the FL talent and weather/beaches you will be hooked!
Good points Rob. Let me expand - $50-75k salary will put you in the range of a 20 yr old 1200 sq ft townhouse/condo in a decent but not great part of town. To even look at almost any house you need to make at least $100k. There are some nice apartments that arent too bad (1000 for a one BR, 1400 for a two BR) but a lot were converted to condos over the last couple years. Some are switching back, and more should be available soon.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by McKagan13

Also, im really into dirtbiking and mountain biking...If you like that kinda thing, this is not the place for you, at least SE Fl.
there are lots of parks that have sick trails, but other than that nada