Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Tat Feeler...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Tat Feeler...

Okay, this is a little different... Is anyone into tattoos?... My tat artist is Paul Black at Outer Limits in Anaheim. Outer Limits is owned by critically famed artist Kari Barba – they have shops in Anaheim, Orange, Costa Mesa and a new shop that what I here kicks a$$ in down town LB… I only go to Paul, he has been featured in mags and is an extremely talented artist! He digs the car scene – although he drives a Scion, he also has a show truck that is in paint & body getting completely tricked out…

Anyway, I wanted to start a feeler thread to see if any G35 family are interested in getting tats – possibly at “Group Buy” price… I haven’t even mentioned this to Paul so I don’t know if he’s open to it – I wanted to get a feel here before talking with him.

If you value time and tat – you are probably thinking, ***** no I’m not gonna sign up for a rushed tattoo… if so, GOOD! You have your values in the right place! I would never consider it either – in fact I sat FOUR different times for one of mine because of previous botch jobs and Paul fixed it! He has done several for me that I am extremely happy with!

If you have a 2 hour or less piece, I’m thinking he might be able to get 4 of us done (with quality) – major designs like full back piece might be another thing… if there is enough interest maybe we can book the shop for a couple of days?

Again – I haven’t talked to Paul yet, but I think if there is enough interest we could get a great artist for a good price… and the camaraderie would be cool. Post if you are interested.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:41 PM
bump

Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
been wanting to get a tat just kind of nervous gettin one and what kind i wanna get im not sure yet. im interested tho. ill see n wait for more info. a tat meet is different.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post some pics of your work :P i wanna check it out, i have my right armed wrapped from shoulder to elbow

Old 04-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by riffraff
been wanting to get a tat just kind of nervous gettin one and what kind i wanna get im not sure yet. im interested tho. ill see n wait for more info. a tat meet is different.
yeah - it's different - kinda cool I think... for the post below, check out the shop website Outerlimitstattoo - u know the rest... Paul's portfolio is in Buena Park... my tats are really conceptual for me, they may not be aw inspiring to others... what I like about Paul is he understands my jive (if you get the phrase)... I don’t know how to explain it other than I told him what I want and he nailed it! If you just want a dragon, I guess anyone could do it - but I have weird specifics... if you've seen me car you know what I mean.

Anyway, the back piece he did was important to me because of heritage - when my Dad passed away I wanted Scottish heritage, I have a Claymore (“battle ready” – as oppose to “show piece”) hanging on my mantel... My Grandfather (on my Moms side) passed several tears ago - he brought Black-Irish, French and Native American blood to my family (for those that know Black-Irish, it's not African, is Northern Ireland)... Anyway, I have a Native American lance hanging in my bedroom made by Ute heritage… I gave Paul a picture of each piece and he put the damn thing on my back EXACTLY as the real piece’s!

I researched Native American and Scottish-Irish symbols and came up with the Eagle: (Master of the skies. A carrier of prayers. Many Indian Nations honor this bird as possessing courage, wisdom, and a special connection to the creator. Often confused with the "thunder bird". The Eagle is considered a protector, the sky spirit, and a symbol associated with visions & spirits)
The Sun: Life giver. Warmth, growth, and all that is good & well. The style shown is the sun used as a kachina mask. Many styles are seen in all of the Southwestern Indian cultures. "Rays" signifying the 4 directions are seen in some of these styles…
Scottish - Saint Brendan’s Cross: This stylized Christian cross frequently encountered in Ireland is called Brendan's Cross. It is made up of four dolphins placed tail to tail to form a Celtic Cross, and commemorates the journeys of the Irish Saint Brendan, also known as "Brendan the Voyager." Brendan was a sixth century Irish monk famous for his seven-year sea journey to find the "Land of Promise" and returned with tales of a Paradise. While there is no real historical evidence that the journey ever took place, many devotees of St. Brendan credit him with the discovery of America.
And the Scottish Picts Z-Rod: The Picts were a tribal people who lived in Northern Britain and Scotland until about a thousand years ago. Their language is lost, except for fragments, although they left behind a wealth of "picture stones," large monoliths carved with mysterious symbols whose meanings are mostly unknown. There are about fifty major symbols. Some are easily identified as animals or mythical creatures; others are completely mysterious, such as the "crescent and V-rod" and the "double disk." They may have originated as tattoos or amulets. After the fifth century, most Picts converted to Christianity, and most of their carvings reflect this change; many of the so-called "Celtic" crosses dotting England and Scotland are in fact Pictish stones. The z-rod is found in combination with a serpent, a tomb/doorway, or a double-sun (double disk), all possibly symbols of the afterlife.

Long phucking explanation… I have pics of the real sword and lance, and that’s what Paul used to do the tat… it is amazing, EXACTLY like the piece – every detail. If you want pic of the actual piece I can PM or email – kinda overkill here… anyway, the piece isn’t as dramatized to see as it is to feel because he nailed what I wanted…

The piece on my arm is another Long story of what it means to me… I’ll explain to you guys in person if you care, but again I gave Paul my idea and he nailed it! The tat on my right arm was one of the first I got when I was a teen – a vertical tribal (unnatural because tribal on upper arm usually wraps horizontally… anyway I decided I wanted it to be a “Tribal Dolphin”… the so called artists I went to phucked it up and didn’t have a clue what I wanted so I want to Paul and as you can see – it turned out decent, I think…

Sorry for the long post guys, but for me tattoos are like my G - I don’t do anything without LOTS of fore-thought… I like Paul because he’s an amazing artist and understands exactly what I want. If you have a concept and can even somewhat relay it – he will bring it to life!

Thanks for reading – let me know what you think (if you‘re still awake)…

Last edited by OCG35; 04-15-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:11 AM
here's detail - in case you are considering Pauls work:

Old 04-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
nice artwork what's his prices?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by riffraff
nice artwork what's his prices?
that's like saying how much does a house cost?... Don't know - depends on what you want done... I think it's typically 120 per hour, which is about standard for decent artist... I never asked when he's done mine... but it’s by appointment so he has an idea of what I'm looking for and usually has something drawn out. He’s always been fair with me and I give him way more than he charges me (beyond customary tip) – but that’s a choice, everyone doesn’t have to.

it's going to be a little weird to get this GB together because we'd probably have to book a day and not a price... If you have something in mind for what you want let me know... I'm thinking if it's a 2-hour sitting we can get 4 or 5 of us in... I'll ask Paul what kind of group rate we can get... He's a good guy and will probably work with us - but if one wants a 5 hr tat and the rest get a 1 or 2 hour seat that might be an issue... that's why this is a "feeler"... What do you have in mind? If it’s the size of either of my arms tats that’s about 2 hours, with detail.

So far there are only 3 of us so I really don’t have anything to ask him about… But he’s worth going to on your own. If we can get some more interest I will ask him about a group buy…

Thanks for the compliment BTW... funny because other artist in the shop have commented on his work while he's tattooing and I've said thanks - but it's his work so I feel funny about saying it... anyway - you know what I mean.

Do you have pics of your arm? - oops, nevermind, your wanting tat... the other poster has the arm piece... what r u thinking of getting?

Last edited by OCG35; 04-15-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice ink....iam considering getting one...

first timer....

p/m me when you hammer the details out...

thanks..

Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
got my work done at socaltattoo.com. I might check out this place hard to sway from my artist..How long is this guys wait time? I also like detail.

Maybe you canStart a tat thread don't want to hijack here..

Old 04-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Firedawg63nLA
got my work done at socaltattoo.com. I might check out this place hard to sway from my artist..How long is this guys wait time? I also like detail.

Maybe you canStart a tat thread don't want to hijack here..
By all means feel free to post up your tats... I fully understand not wanting to sway from your artist - once I found Paul he's the only one I go to (there were three others b4)... As far as his wait time - it really depends on if he needs to draw something up prior - these days just about everyone has a specific idea (like most of mine) that the artists needs to draw up first then change if needed, he has so many like that that it can take a few weeks. The old days were someone gets a tat from flash (the examples on the wall) aren’t as common.

He's still working on some art for my net tat - not sure how long it will be but it's real specific so it might take some time…

Old 04-15-2007, 01:21 PM
It looks like there might be 5 (including me) possibly interested… Anyone else – if you have been thinking of getting a tat and like what you’ve seen (and read), let me know… Paul works Wed-Sun, so I’ll call him this week and see if he’s interested in this. When I got up this morning I started thinking.. the guy is always booked and it’s not like he needs extra business, so I don’t know what his benefit of a GB would be… but I’m gonna talk with him about it anyway - seems to me if he can get an entire day booked in one shebang it’s worth it…

I’ll let you know what he says… if we get to a point where we get the GB you need to have an idea of what you are getting in order to determine sitting time for each… price is based on time – when you go in an ask “how much would this be”, the quote you get is based on the time the artist thinks it will take… So if Paul gives us a GB for a day… we’ll divide the price by totally hors of each of our pieces and that will be the hourly rate – of course you pay based on how many hours your tat is. If your tat is less than an hour, then guess will just ask Paul what the rate is – my GF got a small tat on her wrist and it was only like $70 or something.

Anyway, post pic, stories, whatever – and let me know if you are interested

Old 04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
By all means feel free to post up your tats... I fully understand not wanting to sway from your artist - once I found Paul he's the only one I go to (there were three others b4)... As far as his wait time - it really depends on if he needs to draw something up prior - these days just about everyone has a specific idea (like most of mine) that the artists needs to draw up first then change if needed, he has so many like that that it can take a few weeks. The old days were someone gets a tat from flash (the examples on the wall) aren’t as common.

He's still working on some art for my net tat - not sure how long it will be but it's real specific so it might take some time…

I had to schedule my tat in Sept for work to be done in March. Carlos is that good. Just wondered if your guy took that long..I'm down though for more artwork so I might be interested..

Last edited by 2drwild; 04-15-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Right on, nice work Firedawg... I've thought about getting something on my leg but I'm so damn hairy I didn't think it could be too detailed... Your leg are pretty hairy, does it look decent when the hair grows back? Or does it lose some detail? I have a small one on my chest but it’s up high – so not very hairy… the art Paul’s working on now is to go above that… I don’t have much non-hairy real-estate

Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
They still look good .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tat Feeler...