Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Drag City, Banning (update)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag City, Banning (update)

Was talking with Wally, henry and Kenny last night Irwindale and it got me to thinking that we haven't heard much on Drag City in the last few months.

For those of you that don't know, the city of Banning is building a $10 million dollar NHRA drag racing facility . . . the first new track in 50 years!!!

so here's the update:

From dragcity.net --- as of 4/07:
In the past several weeks many people have inquired as to what was going on with the Drag City project? Why is the construction equipment not moving and just sitting there? Obviously, with so many things happening behind the scenes it becomes very complicated and thus sometime protective for us to report on every obstacle, task, and aspect of the project.

However, we are relived to share the following information that Judith Von Klug, Redevelopment Director of Banning gave to the Banning Community Redevelopment Agency (aka City Council) on April 24, 2007.

Her report says the following:

"Now that the FAA land has been released and the burrowing owls relocated off of the site, all discretionary approvals required for the project have been satisfied. In accordance with the purchase and sale agreement for the City-owned land, the appraisal for this parcel is currently being updated to set the final sales price. When that update is done within the next 30 days, the Developer can finalize financing for the project. Staff is optimistic that all financing requirements will be completed for the project in the next 60-90 days and at that time the City-owned land will be sold to the developer and work on the raceway will move forward".

==other recent updates===
FAA RELEASES 20 ACRES for DRAG CITY
On Wednesday November 29, 2006, the FAA released “the 20 acre piece” of land that was needed to build part of the drag strip on. This was actually the final obstacle that needed to be cleared. Therefore, we are happy to say that CONSTRUCTION on DRAG CITY IS NOW IMMINENT! We really do appreciate all the cooperation that the FAA and the City gave us in allowing us to purchase this property so that we could build a world class drag racing facility for all the racers of Southern California for many years to come.

MAYOR FOR DRAG CITY

Councilwomen Brenda Salas and long time Drag City supporter, became Mayor of Banning on December 11, 2006. Mayor Salas, was first elected to the city council in 2000 when the Drag City project was first proposed in Banning. She was re-elected in 2004. Mayor Salas is the fourth supportive Mayor to take office during our project. Preceding Mayors have been Mayor Machisic, Mayor Welch, and the late Mayor Hunt. Mayor Salas said," I'm so excited that Drag City will be built soon. I look forward to racing down the quarter mile myself." We can't wait either Mayor Salas and Congratulations.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where is banning.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
never mind I googled it.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Damn, thats like 2 hours away from my house.

We need much more SoCal drag strips/tracks, but it doesnt seem a reality.

Guess Ill have to stick to LACR/Irwindale/Cal Speedway, which all have their own flaws.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wish they'll re open pomona =\