Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Cracked windshield

So I went to a wedding on Saturday, and on the way there a small rock chipped my windshield. It was a size of a pea...I came home last night from SD since school was canceled for this whole week due to the fires in SD. I don't take my car to SD, and when I looked at my car right now....one line stretched as far as about six inches. I did some quick searches, and was wondering if insurance will cover this? Whether to repair or replace. Anyone have any experience on this? TIA!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should've gotten this fixed ASAP!

Usually insurance covers this. You need to call them now to see if they will fix it for you. Also, if the crack is in your line of vision, they will replace the entire windshield. If you're lucky, they'll just repair it.

Mine was just a pea sized star crack. I got it fixed the 2nd day. They just inject a resin (sp?) into the crack. I can barely notice it now. The process is actually pretty cool and takes about an hour (because the owner does it personally and really takes his time. A+ work!)

Here's where i went: http://www.glassdoctor.com/oc/auto_glass_repair_OC.htm

Tell them Damon with the Grey/Silver (DG, but they don't know) G35 coupe sent you. Maybe they'll remember me. I was there maybe in July/August.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Day177017
You should've gotten this fixed ASAP!

Usually insurance covers this. You need to call them now to see if they will fix it for you. Also, if the crack is in your line of vision, they will replace the entire windshield. If you're lucky, they'll just repair it.

Mine was just a pea sized star crack. I got it fixed the 2nd day. They just inject a resin (sp?) into the crack. I can barely notice it now. The process is actually pretty cool and takes about an hour (because the owner does it personally and really takes his time. A+ work!)

Here's where i went: http://www.glassdoctor.com/oc/auto_glass_repair_OC.htm

Tell them Damon with the Grey/Silver (DG, but they don't know) G35 coupe sent you. Maybe they'll remember me. I was there maybe in July/August.
I know I should have gotten it fixed asap. But I had to leave in the afternoon for SD on Sunday. Had a bit of a hangover from the wedding party the night before. Sweet! That's like 10 minutes away from me. Would I have to pay for the deductible?
Thanks again!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by shirog35
I know I should have gotten it fixed asap. But I had to leave in the afternoon for SD on Sunday. Had a bit of a hangover from the wedding party the night before. Sweet! That's like 10 minutes away from me. Would I have to pay for the deductible?
Thanks again!
It depends on your insurance, so you need to call them to find out. I go through Ameriprise/Costco auto insurance and they paid it for me. If they can repair it, it's about $50, so it's pointless for you to pay a deductible. So unless you have to replace your entire windshield, i don't think you'd have to worry about it.

BTW... i thought you were gonna sell your G since you were going to SD for school?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Oh and i made the appointment before calling my insurance. Once i made the appt. i called my insurance and they actually said Glass Doctor is an approved repair facility (i'm sure it is for most insurance co.). They just faxed over their information to Glass Doctor directly. All i had to do was show up, sign a couple sheets, and i was gone. They deal with your insurance (if covered) directly.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM
It depends on your insurance, so you need to call them to find out. I go through Ameriprise/Costco auto insurance and they paid it for me. If they can repair it, it's about $50, so it's pointless for you to pay a deductible. So unless you have to replace your entire windshield, i don't think you'd have to worry about it.

BTW... i thought you were gonna sell your G since you were going to SD for school?
Cool thanks. I'm on the phone with the Auto Glass Repair now, and I'm going to call my insurance company (21st Century) right now.

Yeah I tried selling it...but no luck on finding any buyers. I'm still keeping my options open on keeping the car. Thing is that I'll still need a car pretty soon. I'm guessing I'll only last about 6 months without a car. I figure if I buy a used car in the future...I may end up with problems, etc. And resell value will suck! I'm going to try and find a part-time job in SD so I can keep my car. We'll see what happens though. I'm still keeping my options open. I'd hate to say bye, bye to my G.

Last edited by Soju; 10-25-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh and DO NOT try to clean your windshield or put anything over it. Hope you haven't already tried to. Best case scenario is you didn't wash your car. Just leave it dusty/dirty until they get a chance to fix it. Reason being is because when you wash it, it will cool the glass and foreign objects (dirt/dust) could get in the cracks. Then you'll drive the car in the sun, and it'll heat up. The expanding and contracting will make it worse, so when they inject the resin, it could get stuck in there forever.

Last edited by Day177017; 10-25-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Oh and DO NOT try to clean your windshield or put anything over it. Hope you haven't already tried to. Best case scenario is you didn't wash your car. Just leave it dusty/dirty until they get a chance to fix it.
Yup...didn't touch it.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Cool Let me know the result

Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Cool Let me know the result
Yup...will do. You still looking for work?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm getting it fixed. I also had some minor damages to my front bumper front a while back. Good thing my cousin is the GM at a local well known body shop. My insurance covered a rental as well...not that I really needed a rental. But a good buddy of mine also works for Enterprise rental car. So I got a free upgrade. My insurance only covers up to $25.00 per day. But he got me the new Dodge Ram Quad Cab, "Big Horn" Edition...whatever that is.

Thanks again Damon for your help! Too bad I don't take the 405 anymore. I could've gave you a big thumps up! LOL!

Last edited by Soju; 10-25-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:54 PM
LoL! Good to hear it's getting taken care of. The 405 still blows. I'm still stuck in traffic... although it was a pretty smooth ride today with the usual crowding btwn Bolsa and Warner.

I quit New Century and found another IT position at Sares-Regis Group. It's a sweet gig that pays more and is less work

Old 10-26-2007, 04:41 PM
^^^Sweet! Still back on the good ol 405 I see.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Sorry to bring back one from the dead, but...

Son-of-a-b*tch! I got another one on the 5 this morning

It's about the size of a quarter on the passenger side. I dunno what hit me, but it was freakin' LOUD. At first i didn't see it, but then i looked behind my rearview and there it was. Quarter sized bullet/crater. Two rocks in 6 months. WTF?!?!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I was gonna say.....bringing this back from the dead eh? LOL!

Man....sorry to hear Damon. Did this happen to your G or the prelude? Either way....that sucks bro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield