Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Help!!! My Break Peddle Is Going Boing Boing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! My Break Peddle Is Going Boing Boing.

I mean Brake not Break, sorry.

I have a 03 coupe 6spd that I got around Dec of 02. When I got the car it came with a set of 19s as an option. I had this problem may be once or twice a year since then, but since it only happened once or twice a year I never bothered to mention it to the dealer about it. I recently changed to my 3rd set of tires. It’s been the same size of tires as the first that came with the car just a different brand each time, but this started to happend 1-2 weeks before i did the tire change.

Here is my problem now. I have no problem at all at stopping the car, but it’s more of an nuisance issue, during braking and always the last 10 to 15 feet to stop the brake peddle will start making “Boing Boing” sounds, usually like 3 – 5 boings. Like the Nike Shox commercial. The car still stop with ease and there is no feel of fade or peddle problem. Only the sound and a slight peddle shake when the boing goes off. Does anyone have this problem?

I have taken is to two dealers and a shop that I been going to since 93 for all my cars. Every one of them tells me they cant find anything wrong with my brake system, but they can't figure what the sound comes from, because they explain there is no spring involved in the braking system that would make this kind of sound, other then the spring on the peddle arm. The calibers are in good shape, the pads are in good shape. They did a visual check of the braking system and the under the dash around the brake peddle and nothing is wrong, no problem with the ABS or LSD, There is no error reading from the computer.

Metro tells me there is nothing wrong with it and they can’t find anything wrong with it other then the sound. Montclair told the same thing but added that it might be the new tires being the wrong size. But I mention I been using the same size that was on the car when I got it. Now I have an appointment back to Cerritos this Friday. If Cerritos tells me more of the same. They can’t find anything wrong with it. What are my other options?

Like I said I have a 03 model coupe 6spd with brembo. It has 67k. and is out of factory warrenty already i believe. I am the first and only owner and I keep it well maintained. Can anyone help me with this issue? Has anyone had this problem? I am running 245/40/19 front and 284/35/19 rear, those are the spec of the first set and every set since.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help, it will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Skylinexyz; 01-07-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
And the dealerships next guess would be....

Does it really make that kinda noise or is this something you feel in the brake
pedal and what effect does it have on your steering wheel....if any? Blaming
it on tires is B.S., the stealerships are just guessing....tire size has nothing to
do with what you're experiencing!
Gary

Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
really doesnt sound like a tire issue, but i would have to hear it to diagnose it. pm me, im a tech.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Does it really make that kinda noise or is this something you feel in the brake
pedal and what effect does it have on your steering wheel....if any? Blaming
it on tires is B.S., the stealerships are just guessing....tire size has nothing to
do with what you're experiencing!
Gary
I both hear it and feel it. every time it goes boing (it sounds funny, but thats how it sounds) i need the peddle shake a little but it does not effect the breaking at all. I had my wife stand by the car while i did a stop and she hear it also, she mention i sound like it came from under the hood and not from where the brakes are.