Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Well it finally happened ... :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it finally happened ... :(

I was driving to go watch my cousin play his football game and on the way some lady just ran into me. Nothing bad but i will need to replace my whole bumper. I was switching over to the right lane and i got through .. i saw someone crossing so i braked (softly and easily) and then all of the sudden she hits me and my car goes forward while me tires are screeching.. i got out and she said sorry and that she was so stressed out and had all these things on her mind .. we exchange info and everything..and i called the cops to file a report ... i told the cop everything and he said i didnt need to make a report if no one got hurt and everything ( huh?? )... well before i called the cops she said she was to stressed out and that she needed to go home but i told her to stay cause i am calling the cops but she insisted that she had to leave so i was like fine then you leave ..so she left ..i called the cops they didnt come ( dammm cops ) ..well thats about it , im happy that my exhaust didnt get messed up then i would have been really upset .. how much do you guys think i will get from insurance for a whole new bumper ? and is anyone selling theirs right now ? im looking for a BS color rear bumper .. now my back and shoulder is acking but i hope it all goes away ..thanks for reading my post ..just needed to let some steam out...

Old 09-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Well it finally happened ... :(

Sorry to hear that, sometimes I don't understand what cops are thinking. One time I was a victim or an assult + arm robbery, I called the cops and pretty much they didn't seem to care. A police car strolled by later and the officer told me that usually they don't consider it a top priority unless someone gets seriously injured or dies. Great place to live eh?

CPV35 G35C Maliblue

Old 09-19-2004, 09:13 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A similar thing happened to my wife. She was rear ended on the 5, and the lady who hit her said, "I'm late for work, I gotta leave." Then my wife left too, after they had called the cops.

Isn't this leaving the scene of an accident? What's to prevent someone from giving bogus info, then taking off?

This is why I carry my digital camera with movie making mode on my car at all times.

Old 09-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most police agencies will not come out to take an accident report unless there is injuries.

It's important to get car description, driver description, description of any passengers and any witnesses. Get the drivers driver license info and insurance info. Take pictures if possible. Call your insurance company as soon as possible. If the other driver is uncooperative in exchanging info, take down the license plate and immediately go to the police and ask to report a hit & run.

However, if you are looking for the police to document the incident so that you do not get found at fault, think again. It's a waste of police resources and most of the time the police can't assign blame anyway. The cops ain't coming unless someone is hurt.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:15 PM

that is true ... i was wondering why the police wasnt coming as you can tell this is my first accident so wasnt to clear on things but i got all the other drivers info and everything .. thanks for all the reply's ...its so sad when i see my car

Old 09-19-2004, 09:17 PM

I was driving home one day on the 10th freeway,
the guy behind ran into my rear bumper.
I walked out of the car (heavy traffic, safe to walk out),
checked my bumper, it was fine but slight scratches from his front license.
I got into my car and advised the guy to pull to the shoulder,
he didn't want to, I pulled up next to him, rolled down my window and yelled PULL OVER!
He refused, so I chased him for about 10 miles, that a s s drove off like a mad man, I decided I'd call the police instead.
Luckily the woman behind him was following us and was willing to be my witness.
Called the police, he ran the license # I wrote down and found that it didn't match the car description I gave him.
He said that might be a stolen license and I need to contact my insurance co.
He didn't file anything at all and left.
(it was a hit & run, geesuz!)

I was like wtf!! now I gota eat the damage cost myself?!
luckily I was in my old Camry.
LA police...sigh

Old 09-19-2004, 09:49 PM

how much do you think i will get from insurance ?? and do you think i should get my brakes checked cause it seems like they sqeek a lot more ..and when i got hit my foot was on the brake cause i was brakeing before i got hit .. and man that sucks G35Luver ... luckily you were not in the G

Old 09-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LAPD was wrong law enforcement agency if you were on the 10 FWY. You needed to contact CHP. CHP should file a hit and run report. Likely nothing will come of it, but they should file a report nonetheless.

" now I gota eat the damage cost myself?! "

Yeah, thats life. Thats why you have insurance.

Old 09-20-2004, 03:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"how much do you think i will get from insurance ?? "

As far as the damage to your vehicle, you will get what it costs to repair your damages. It's rather difficult to say without knowing exactly what your damages are. Body shops and insurance companies can rarely be sure what the total damages are until the car is torn down and any hidden damage can be ruled out or added to the repairs.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a "hit & run" if they stop and exchange insurance info, and nobody was injured. The CHP and local police are overworked as it is, and they just flat don't have time to deal with minor fender-benders. If someone's injured, or the other party takes off without giving you insurance info, then by all means call the police and report it.

Happened to me, too. Got rear-ended at a stoplight. Exchanged insurance info and went on to work. I called up his insurance company to make a claim, they contacted him to get his confirmation, then they sent a repair authorization form to a body shop I chose.

Don't get worked up over it, it's standard procedure here in California. To many minor accidents occur on a daily basis. Concentrate on finding a good body shop and making sure the other guy/gal's insurance company doesn't short-change you. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2004, 12:24 AM

go to the CHP office (PD) and file your own report. You write it, they file it (for a nominal fee you can have a copy too). In some cases, you will find that the person that hit you will do that, and in their report, you hit them and ran!

Cheers, Ted
p.s. hindsight is always 20/20

'03.5 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS - www.teamtransport.org

Old 09-21-2004, 01:12 AM

well i have witnesses with me so she cannot claim and hit and run and i called the poilce and he said just to leave but i do have his name and everything so if anything happened like this ..i would be very angry

Old 09-21-2004, 11:26 AM

James! Well hope you get everything fixed. Haven't been on the boards for a while...and look what happens.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:56 PM

...yet the LAPD seems to have plenty of time for stopping em for no front license plate so it can collect my fees. I hate the police system down here. It seems we have so many cops all over the place, yet people still complain that they get porr public service. Then someone comes along and says it is because they are overworked. This is just inconsistent in my mind. Maybe I'm used to a work environment where people try a little harder...

My car has been hit three times in parking lots- one was just a door ding by someone late night at the bars. One was bad on the front bumber cover, grill, and Infiniti emblem. The most recent one was on the rear bumber cover. No one left notes, and no one witnessed anything. I got a quote for it all at about $1200. My $500 deductable and the fact that I would lose my $400/year discount for never having filed an insurance claim means I will probably pay it myself. Part of me wants to wait until someone else hits me so I can have them pay. It's pretty sad driving don PCH waiting hoping someone will rearend me...That's crumby LA life I guess.

Oh I just remember one other thing demonstrating LA cops at work: Instead of fixing troublesome lights and intersection on PCH, they now put up those Amber Alert-like displays on the side of the road telling you to be careful because lots of accidents occur in the area...

Danation.com - G35C CB & GRAPHITE / NAV / PREM / AT

Old 09-22-2004, 05:54 PM

wasssup surewin where have you been man ?? we should meet up sometime :P