Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Traffic Court Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traffic Court Question

I was speeding and completely guilty , but I want to try and get out of this. My question is that if you plead not guilty, do they(court) make you come back on another day for a trial, or do you state your case right there on the same day as the plea? I was going to try and play the get an extension and hope the officer does not show. Anyone know? I'm scheduled to appear at Harbor Justice Center on Thurs.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:09 PM
try this for starters http://www.ticketassassin.com/

and when i usually get a ticket, i would go to court on the date posted on the ticket and ask for an extention. they usually give you 1 month. and ill go once again on the last date of my extention and ask for another one, which it should be your last one. once again, i wait till the last date, and that's where you'll have to see the judge. when asked, you plead guilty/not guilty/no contest. if you plead not guilty, they'll give you about another 1-2 months or so, just to send the notice to the officer, also they'll ask you to post the bail amount first. once the 1-2 months pass by, and you show up to court, and the officer doesn't show up, case dismissed!! but if he does show up, better have a good explanation.

i read the ticket assassin and i'll give that a try once i actually do speed and what not. a lawyer would help too you know.

by the way, my brother had a speeding ticket a couple years ago, and he ALWAYS asks me what to do and what not. well i told him the exact same things i told you about getting extentions. guess what?! the cop didn't show up!! he got his money back and no points on his record!!

good luck man!!

Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM
I'll have to do the waiting game because I was doing 80 on the freeway, and usually the ticket assassin type of deals get the speed assessment for a city street and look for flaws in the report. Once you go over 70mph which is the maximum allowable speed in CA, there's no hope for you unless the cop doesn't show.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:16 AM
I did that several years ago. I went to court in Downtown LA and guess what? the cop didn't show up. I did extend the appeal date twice too. I did this becuase it was second speeding ticket in 18 month. The first one, I took a at home traffic school. If you can do that, go take a class. If you can't try it. It wont hurt. But if the cop shows up, just say you changed your mind and plead guilty, or ask for a traffic school. But it's hard to recognize the face of the cop. They all look a like!

Old 07-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
There is a high likelihood the cop won’t show (even if you don’t get extensions). If the cop is scheduled for duty, they rarely have them go to court. If he is off duty they have to pay OT - that combined with the fact that there may be other things the cop has planned for off time, he/she probably won’t show.

My experience has been they are no-shows 90% of the time. The other 10% is when there are multiple cases that the particular cop wrote tickets for all scheduled on the same day.

As other have said, if you plead not guilty and contest the ticket, be sure you have a good argument in case the cop does show. My advise is make a case that excessive speed was the safest thing you could do for that brief period of time – such as to avoid accident, not to cause re-end collision, allow for merging traffic, etc. I can’t advise on your particular situation because I don’t know the circumstances… whenever I get pulled over I immediately take note of surroundings and what the traffic conditions are so I have a viable reason for doing what I did (even if slightly fabricated).

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I was pulled over by a CHP so I think there will be a high chance that he appears in court unless I reschedule the date, also this is my second ticket it 11 months, so from my understanding, traffic school is not an option even though the judge can grant it up to two times in 18 months provided its been atleast 12months since the last violation. I'm going to postpone, plea not guilty postpone and try again to postpone.

The freeway was for the most part completely empty except for the chp and two cars, and I was the lucky winner to get pulled over. I have a history of the one being singled out of a group of cars all driving the same speed, I think it might be because I've always had nice cars for how young I am. I would get harassed by Santa Ana PD almost every other time I drove through and Irvine is a close second. I got pulled over at the Spectrum twice with in 10 mins and only going around the block (warnings about stereo, tv in view of the driver, but it wasn't TV it was just the display for track time and such, ignorant Irvine PD)

This time it was a legit pull over though, I was doing 80+ and didn't check my rear enough and got popped. I was surprised when the courtesy notice came in the mail and the bail/fine amount was only $109.50