Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

speeding ticket- appearance date extension ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speeding ticket- appearance date extension ??

Hey guys,

this is not the typical speeding tix thread. hahaha i got a speeding ticket the end of july which i plan on fighting. i got a courtesy notice (bill/bail notice) in the mail saying i need to send my check or appear in court by TODAY. (9/9)

i was messing around on the court website and saw something that that seemed like it allowed me to extend this date. its called "appearance date extension". Its extended until 11/08/2005.

SO my question is..
1. do i still need to send my money (bail) to them by today or do i have until 11/8
2. Just to clarify, i have until 11/8 to go into court and plea "not guilty" so i can get a court date to fight the ticket right ??

who has experience in this. im 25 now and havent had a moving violation since i was 17. ohh yeah..by fighting it i mean, hope the cop doesnt show. hahah damn CB coupe !!

Old 09-09-2005, 10:21 AM
ohh yeah...im in socal if that helps.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:29 PM
no one knows....comon guys..

Old 09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sure someone who works for your local city government could answer your questions much more quickly and acurately than anyone on this forum.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I remember, you can fight the ticket before you even show up in court. Now, if you are pretty sure you can win (read: there are some circumstances that was beyond your control), then I recommend you fight it via mail. If you think you can't win, then yes, you can extend the appearance date. I actually would recommend you extend it as far as you can just so that the cop may not remember every details of what happened. It's even better to have the date near the holidays too.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 11/8 is the date you need to enter a plea by. Usually they give you one month extension, but it looks like they gave you two. I'd call with the courthouse and make sure. You don't want a warrant out for your arrest

On a side note, try to extend as much as possible. The longer your extend the higher the chances are the cop wont remember details of the case and if he does show up in court you will have a good chance or getting him on cross examination.

Hooman

Old 09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
okays..this is helping a little bit..

so my "extension date" is for when i enter my plea...is that the same time i write a check for bail ???? then after i plea not guilt...i need to go in again for the court date where i fight my case...

last question...do i still need to get my bail money in today...or do i submit that on 11/8 (extension date)

yes ive tried calling...i cant get a hold of anyone live..

thanks for all the help...this is un-needed stress on top of fantast football this weekend...woohoo

Old 09-09-2005, 03:40 PM
GearheadsAnonymousFounder
hey ... i did the same thing ... i got a ticket doing 80+ to palm springs over memorial day ... anybody who knows the 210 knows 80 isnt anything ... anyways cop got me by determining my speed from the other cars ... my appearance date was the 27th of july, but i called on the same day to clarify if i was eligible to request level II traffic school by mail, or if I had to ask a judge ... the clerk i could do it through mail, and offered to extend my appearance date so i could have more time to pay just in case something went wrong that day with sending in payment ... she didnt want a warrant to go out for my arrest ... so she gave me til 9/27 to send in my check/money order to san bernardino, and their gonna send me the traffic school info from there ... she said if i wanted any further extensions that it would have to be from a judge, that a clerk could only extend it one time ... anyways i hope this clarified things up for u ...

basically, u got til ur new appearance date to pay(submit bail ... w/e) ... u can always submit the bail before the appearance date and request a court date ... but thats up to u if u want to fight it/request traffic school/whatever ... lemme know if u got any more questions cuz im a paralegal at a firm down in encino and can probably get one or more questions answered for any of my fellow g35driver.com members

Old 09-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by eyazdchi
hey ... i did the same thing ... i got a ticket doing 80+ to palm springs over memorial day ... anybody who knows the 210 knows 80 isnt anything ... anyways cop got me by determining my speed from the other cars ... my appearance date was the 27th of july, but i called on the same day to clarify if i was eligible to request level II traffic school by mail, or if I had to ask a judge ... the clerk i could do it through mail, and offered to extend my appearance date so i could have more time to pay just in case something went wrong that day with sending in payment ... she didnt want a warrant to go out for my arrest ... so she gave me til 9/27 to send in my check/money order to san bernardino, and their gonna send me the traffic school info from there ... she said if i wanted any further extensions that it would have to be from a judge, that a clerk could only extend it one time ... anyways i hope this clarified things up for u ...

basically, u got til ur new appearance date to pay(submit bail ... w/e) ... u can always submit the bail before the appearance date and request a court date ... but thats up to u if u want to fight it/request traffic school/whatever ... lemme know if u got any more questions cuz im a paralegal at a firm down in encino and can probably get one or more questions answered for any of my fellow g35driver.com members
thank you sir !! wow premiere member with 2 post...nice..
exactly what i needed to know

Old 09-09-2005, 04:00 PM
GearheadsAnonymousFounder
haha ... yea man thanks ... been vewing these threads for a while ... figured its about time i contribute back ... just lemme know if u got any more questions, id be glad to help any of u guys out

Old 09-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by axiochris
thank you sir !! wow premiere member with 2 post...nice..
exactly what i needed to know
Hey, I said to extend it first! And, don't forget to do Trial-by-Mail. This way, if you lose by Trial-By-Mail, you can still go to traffic court and redo the whole thing over again. No where else will you get two chances to fight the same ticket. Also, by doing TBM, they judge will consider lowering your ticket by alot and hope that you won't go to court and fight it twice. Just a thought. Yeah, I did the TBM a while back and lost but my California-Roll violation (I was innocent, those bastards!) was drop to about $65 bucks. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2005, 09:38 PM
extend it and then go to court and request a trial...then hope the cop doesnt show

works some of the time

Old 09-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by axiochris
Hey guys,

this is not the typical speeding tix thread. hahaha i got a speeding ticket the end of july which i plan on fighting. i got a courtesy notice (bill/bail notice) in the mail saying i need to send my check or appear in court by TODAY. (9/9)

i was messing around on the court website and saw something that that seemed like it allowed me to extend this date. its called "appearance date extension". Its extended until 11/08/2005.

SO my question is..
1. do i still need to send my money (bail) to them by today or do i have until 11/8
2. Just to clarify, i have until 11/8 to go into court and plea "not guilty" so i can get a court date to fight the ticket right ??

who has experience in this. im 25 now and havent had a moving violation since i was 17. ohh yeah..by fighting it i mean, hope the cop doesnt show. hahah damn CB coupe !!
you don't need to send in your bail amount until the due date or the appear-by date. when you change your court date, some times the cops won't show but that's not a guarantee. if he does show, then you're going to be asked to plea for your ticket.....FYI, in case you don't know this already, if you plea not-guilty and the court finds you guilty, you won't be able to go to traffic school...(also kinda depends on the judge, some are nicer than others)....so unless you have an absolute proof that the cop got the wrong guy, i'd plea guilty and go to traffic school....

Old 09-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by irvine78
you don't need to send in your bail amount until the due date or the appear-by date. when you change your court date, some times the cops won't show but that's not a guarantee. if he does show, then you're going to be asked to plea for your ticket.....FYI, in case you don't know this already, if you plea not-guilty and the court finds you guilty, you won't be able to go to traffic school...(also kinda depends on the judge, some are nicer than others)....so unless you have an absolute proof that the cop got the wrong guy, i'd plea guilty and go to traffic school....
when i went, the cop showed up but the judge said something "do you want to go to trial? or will you just do traffic school" so i just did traffic school cause i had no chance haha

Old 09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Now I got a ticket that I had got an extention for and when I went to set a court date for it, the court date is for 6 months after the extention date. My Extention was due on the 14th of October 2011 and my court date is for April of 2012. What do i do? pay the ticket by October or wait until the court date?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket- appearance date extension ??