Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

murder in the 1st degree

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
murder in the 1st degree

Finished my jury duty for a murder trial in downtown today. Alleged rival gangs did a drive by on the border of their 'claimed area' and shot at some kids (12-14) on bikes. One kid got hit in the back as he was trying to flee, and the bullet went in his lower back and then pierced his spine and then ruptured his aorta, he died very shortly afterwards, he was 14. I had to look at this dead kid, and determine if the accused did it, and if so, put him away for some serious time.

The defendant was alleged to be the driver of the vehicle and thus as responsible for the killing. One eye-witness id'ed this guy 5 weeks later? and the kids there also made some inferences to the same guy (9 days after, and 1 year after) respectivly.

We deliberated all day today. I was undecided leaning towards guilty. The initial vote showed more than half as not guilty. We decided after the entire day to go not guilty due to lack of evidence and a very poorly done investigation, lots of holes and inconsistancies. I still think he was involved, but the case (and liberal jury?) led us to not guilty.

This gangster cryed before and after the verdict, as did his family and the defense team. (the only people present in the court room). I hope if he did it, that he will change his ways.

Anyone else been through anything like this? I have a different view towards the world now. Makes me appreciate everthing a little bit more.

It was interesting to see the judicial system at work, I don't recommend this at all. Tough decisions in serious situation. If you want a change at getting excused from a murder trial, you can say you know cops or gansters or whatever. One of the attorneys will most likely excuse you. This is what I got for being honest.

How hard it must be for cops to get convictions to stick. Have to appreciate them as well.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I had to get this out...

Old 11-18-2005, 02:14 AM
wow bro I loved that man. Crazy story and its times like that when your really slapped in the face and put in check. Great post, thanks for sharing

Old 11-18-2005, 10:51 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not perfect, but unfortunately, this is the trial by jury system that we have.

Last year when I got called for jury duty, at one point the jury supervisor asked, "if you don't have your summons, raise your hand."

About 50% of the 200 or so people raised their hand. Most of them had the summons sitting on their lap.

Now you want these people to think and evaluate evidence. Scary....

Unless you're a high school drop out, a jury is not a "trial by your peers." So now the judges call it a "trial by your neighbors."

I got to move to a better neighborhood.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:54 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
that's bull crap...put his @$$ away for life...I can't believe he was let go...then again, I wasn't there...and I'm in Texas. =)

Old 11-18-2005, 10:56 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
I say we put all gangbangers on an island and let them fight it out...after all, the last time that was done, a thriving country was born...Australia...

Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 AM
1superg, thanks for sharing that experience.

I was on jury duty a few years back for a racial discrimination case of police allegedly beating up a black man. It is not easy and in the jury room tempers can fly and prejudices bubble to the surface very quickly. There is no doubt that it is a flawed system, but all things considered and in light of the alternatives, one that I am willing to live with. Kudos to you for doing your civic duty to the best of your ability.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
I say we put all gangbangers on an island and let them fight it out...after all, the last time that was done, a thriving country was born...Australia...
Great minds think alike? I had that idea a long time ago..........

When my cop friends tell me how this gang member got shot and died and all that stuff..........i'm thinking "one less off the streets" cool......i say have them all meet the LA colisium(sp?) and duke it out there......it is a colisium right?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Good to see someone doing their civic duty as already said. I have to applaud you on the not guilty verdict. It seems that nowadays just showing up in court automatically makes you guilty. Like you wouldnt be there if hadnt done something. I cant stand these sissy gang bangers. One on one they dont stand a chance with many of us. Too bad the investigation didnt prove conclusively this guy was responsible. That's our system...I hope you dont beat yourself up over this.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tape him crying and send it to his gang as well as his rival gang. They'll run a train on his pu$$y a$$...it's either that or getting it from the home boys in jail. Either way, something needs to go in his a$$.

Kia?

Old 11-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Tookie did it.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Tookie did it.
It all comes back to Tookie!

Old 11-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Seriously though, thanks for the comments, it helps to sort this out for me...

Old 11-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SUPERG
Seriously though, thanks for the comments, it helps to sort this out for me...
Hey, I was on a jury for a murder trial about 5 years ago also at CCB downtown. It was definitely an eye opening experience. Fortunately there were pretty bright people on the panel...still it took like 6 days of deliberation. One guy just did not like the way the law was written and did not want to find guilty based on that.

As to your not guilty finding....if the prosecution fails to meet the elements set forth in the jury instructions....if reasonable doubt is created as to any of the necessary requirements for conviction, then you must automatically find "not guilty". Even if you think the guy is probably guilty. That's the system we have in place, and there are all sorts of problems if jurors substitute their individual judgement for that. I argue with my conservative friends all the time on this(I'm more libertarian). Anyway, if thats what happened...if you found reasonable doubt, then I think you did the right thing.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by sternroolz
Hey, I was on a jury for a murder trial about 5 years ago also at CCB downtown. It was definitely an eye opening experience. Fortunately there were pretty bright people on the panel...still it took like 6 days of deliberation. One guy just did not like the way the law was written and did not want to find guilty based on that.

As to your not guilty finding....if the prosecution fails to meet the elements set forth in the jury instructions....if reasonable doubt is created as to any of the necessary requirements for conviction, then you must automatically find "not guilty". Even if you think the guy is probably guilty. That's the system we have in place, and there are all sorts of problems if jurors substitute their individual judgement for that. I argue with my conservative friends all the time on this(I'm more libertarian). Anyway, if thats what happened...if you found reasonable doubt, then I think you did the right thing.
Thats exactly what happened. I felt he was involved, but there was reasonable doubt, I we had to vote accordingly. A few of the panel were not so bright, but most were logical and took the time to deliberate. I can understand why cops sometimes try to 'create' more evidence once they know who did the crime, but it all has to appear legitimate and be proved in court.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2005, 08:15 PM
The problem with todays society is we try to pin it on whoever is involved for a sense of satisfaction for the family and what not. I am not saying he needs to be off the hook, but he may not deserve a full term as the murderer who is still walking the streets. But the reality is, you pay to play...even if you were the driver.