Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

hook up wireless router for double-double at in-n-out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hook up wireless router for double-double at in-n-out

first off, i'm horrible with computers.....i check email and type a letter kind of guy ............so, if anyone can get my linksys wireless up and running, double double at in-n-out is on me............tried many times to intall this thing, just didn't work out.........i'm in walnut.......thanks. Kim 909-319-2508

Old 02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
What problems are you having?

Old 02-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mmmmmmmmm

- did you enable the Wireless Network Mode?
- did you play with any of the wireless security settings or is everything at default?

- do you see your SSID on your desktop/laptop when you click on "view available wireless networks"?

If I saw this post earlier, I woulda stopped by, I was in Diamond Bar today.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 PM
what cable company do you have?

Old 02-20-2006, 11:23 PM
hey guys, thanks for chiming in.....

....iirc....tried to leave most things at default.....
i see the ssid on my laptop and 2nd desktop.....it shows full strenght but when i click to connect, ....it'll say out of range?
internet via charter cable.......

i wired up my sedan with pre-amp eq, loc, 3 way amplifier......left side speakers in paralle, right side same and two 12" subs.......yet, can't figure out the one piece wireless router? yeah, i embarassed!!

edit: in case you're wondering......i'm on the neighbors network i can connect to it with no problem

Old 02-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
it says out of range? is that the exact error message you're getting? I haven't heard seeing full signal strength and getting a out of range error.

Have you also tried
- resetting the router (pushing the small little button on the router itself)
- bringing the laptop right in front of the router and try connecting there to elminate the out of range possibility
- can you also change the default broadcast channel from channel 6 to another channel (your neighbor might be running at channel 6 too)

Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 AM
^^^ good suggestions - one more thing, what type of cordless phones do you have? 900mhz, 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, something else??

Old 02-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, also what did you have for dinner?

Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 AM
You're probably connected to the network but don't have internet connection. What you need to do is delete the driver of your wireless card on your laptop/other computer and reinstall it. I recommend you search google on how to install a wireless network. I'd help you if you were local.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:54 PM
GP1
dude, I had the same problem. I reset the thing so many times I lost count. Finally, I just uninstalled everything and then started all over again.
Start with the wireless card on your laptop. Install that and the driver.
then connect the router. Run both the laptopand the desktop wired to make sure the router is working. Once that's done, I then checked to make sure I was getting a wireless signal from the router. Ask a friend to bring a laptop that can get a signal. If your friends laptop picks up a signal from your router, then there's something wrong with the way your laptop is setup.

anyway, I'm not a network or computer person of anykind, but thats what I did and it worked.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Check hardwired first then test wireless (i.e. direct connect laptop to your cable modem, OK? Now try cable modem wired to router (WAN port) with laptop wired to router port, OK? Then setup wireless card (use downloaded drivers or those supplied with card) with laptop, look for your wireless router and try connecting to it. It's helpful if you have named your network something you can ID in case you're seeing the 50 Linksys routers in your area. Once connection is confirmed, set up all the security stuff to your liking.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by richie
it says out of range? is that the exact error message you're getting? I haven't heard seeing full signal strength and getting a out of range error.

Have you also tried
- resetting the router (pushing the small little button on the router itself)
- bringing the laptop right in front of the router and try connecting there to elminate the out of range possibility
- can you also change the default broadcast channel from channel 6 to another channel (your neighbor might be running at channel 6 too)
brings up a very good point. If you are able to "piggy-back" on your neighbor's wireless (another reason to enble security, WEP or better), then I don't think you need to reinstall everything. Make sure your router is relatively high, not on the floor. Try changing the chanels and try turning off other interferences like a cordless on the same frequency as your wireless.

Linksys should come with an install CD. It will walk you step by step in setting up your network. And as Geeman stated, first step is confirmation that everything is working while hard wired to your wireless router. (this should have been a step in your install disk for setting up the router configs) Then you move to setting up the wireless. If you have specific questions, you can send me a PM. I'm not too far off Walnut, but I don't get home until the wee hours of the night from work (in Carson)... such a fun commute.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by klg35
i wired up my sedan with pre-amp eq, loc, 3 way amplifier......left side speakers in paralle, right side same and two 12" subs.......yet, can't figure out the one piece wireless router? yeah, i embarassed!!
^^^

This should be a walk in the park for you then...

Isn't it so much fun trying to figure out things like this?

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2006, 01:58 AM
all good points i'll try this weekend.........if that doesn't work, i'll pay one of guys to visit me d@mit!

WYSIWYG: way off topic but kinda funny.....passed my securities exam (S6 and 63 on first try.....took me three times to pass Life exam( the easiest of the three)........see, history DOES repeat itself........
thanks all.........gonna sign off from neighbors router now...hehe..

Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by klg35
all good points i'll try this weekend.........if that doesn't work, i'll pay one of guys to visit me d@mit!

WYSIWYG: way off topic but kinda funny.....passed my securities exam (S6 and 63 on first try.....took me three times to pass Life exam( the easiest of the three)........see, history DOES repeat itself........
thanks all.........gonna sign off from neighbors router now...hehe..
hmm... what are the two categories of risk, and which can you insure? hahahaa....

Don't know a thing about securities, but i there are too many "pure risks" in life. So get off your neighbors network! The cable company might track you and you're neighbor down for conspiracy to steal bandwitdth. Just kidding...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hook up wireless router for double-double at in-n-out