GrandSport Group Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow MSR is expensive. H2R is barely 1/3 of that to rent all day in San Marcos.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, but it's also three hours away.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Well it is finally done! I have reserved GSS for a track day on August 22nd.

The cost is going to be 3350.00 to include track, insurance, & ambulance.
Gonna limit it to about 20 cars as we don't want to much traffic.
Cost will be 250.00 per person.
If we get more participants then I will refund cash to everyone.
If we get less than expected/ bring cash or your checkbook.

No bitchin' about the price if you have to pony up more and I won't complain if I have to refund some back!

http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/

Rules are:
1. No alcohol
2. Must have SA2000 or newer helmet (on your head!) FYI: motorcycle helmets won't work!
3. Nomex if you are in a race car.
4. Long pants (no nylon workout pants) such as cotton or jeans for people driving street legal cars.
5. No passengers are allowed unless you are a licensed instructor. (insurance stipulation)
FYI: If you want to show someone the fastest line; have them do a "lead and follow" at 60% full speed to be safe.

We have the track from 9am-5pm
Gate opens at 8am.
Drivers meeting at 8:45 am. If you come in the afternoon just get with someone before going on the track for instructions.
Gate closes at 6pm.

Some of the buildings were lost in the hurricane but they do have port-a-potties.
I suggest bringing some tailgating popup tents for shade and coolers with tons of water, etc.

Fill this out if you want to come have some fun!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewf...a3BlalNfU3c6MA..

Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
^ sorry man, but I'm not shelling out $250 for GSS. I can do their Groove Unions for $175, and I think I move to Austin on the 21st anyway.

I hope you'll fill it up though!

TWS is still on for anyone interested. I'm going, mike and matt are working on it. Jeremy - check your schedule for August 15th. I'm almost positive it's $195 plus $25 for a garage spot if you want it (YES YOU DO)

Old 07-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by popcornten
^ sorry man, but I'm not shelling out $250 for GSS. I can do their Groove Unions for $175, and I think I move to Austin on the 21st anyway.

TWS is still on for anyone interested. I'm going, mike and matt are working on it. Jeremy - check your schedule for August 15th. I'm almost positive it's $195 plus $25 for a garage spot if you want it (YES YOU DO)
I'll let you know within a few days.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 AM

250 isn't bad for right around the corner- but I understand.
When is Groove Unions, where do you sign up, and where is it located?
I know where TWS is but where do you sign up?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnieO
If we get more participants then I will refund cash to everyone.
If we get less than expected/ bring cash or your checkbook.
Originally Posted by DonnieO
250 isn't bad for right around the corner- but I understand.
When is Groove Unions, where do you sign up, and where is it located?
I know where TWS is but where do you sign up?
Thanks for setting it up, but as Ajay mentioned Groove Union would be a tad cheaper. GU is the "drive your own car" program at GrandSport.

http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/opentrack.html

Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Thanks for setting it up, but as Ajay mentioned Groove Union would be a tad cheaper. GU is the "drive your own car" program at GrandSport.

http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/opentrack.html
Thanks for the link!
I don't get it though. People would rather spend 175-225 depending on skill level (plus a 45.00 GU fee) for 5x 20 min sessions instead of having access to drive your own car on a full track from 9-5 (8hrs)?!?!!?!?!

Also, when they run groups like this, you gotta be ready to go when its your turn whether you gotta go to the bathroom, are hungry, tired, tuning car, or whatever. Having an open day where you can show up at noon and drive for 5 hrs if you wanted to seems much better to me.

We are thinking about running CW the 1st half of the day and CCW the 2nd half!

Last edited by DonnieO; 07-28-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
The fee is optional, to me anyway since i have an SCCA membership.

I think 5 or 6 sessions for the entire day is equivalent to how many sessions one would run if the track was rented out completely, assuming the same number of run groups.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Premier Member

Trust me, after 20 minutes you will be tired and need to rest usually. Then after 4-6 sessions you are dead beat. No way someone can run all day out there for 8 hours. Plus the car won't take that abuse either for that long without cool down times.

Some tracks limit your time behind the wheel too, as the driver gets more fatigue the longer he is out there and could be a hazard.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Trust me, after 20 minutes you will be tired and need to rest usually. Then after 4-6 sessions you are dead beat. No way someone can run all day out there for 8 hours. Plus the car won't take that abuse either for that long without cool down times.

Some tracks limit your time behind the wheel too, as the driver gets more fatigue the longer he is out there and could be a hazard.

It's just nice to be able to run on your own schedule and with friends as you wish.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM
The other guys beat me to it.

I'm with Mike and have the SCCA membership, so Groove Unions are only $175 for me since I've done one before.

And also, you'll be absolutely dead after that day. 5 sessions is more than enough, your car starts to get angry at that point and you begin to get exhausted. Honestly I wouldn't want to spend 8 hrs on track, although it'd be amazing. You'll get a huge amount of track time but I'm ok with 5 sessions.

You can't just drive for 5 hours. You and your car both need to rest. And trust me there's plenty of time in Groove Union to rest, go pee, and there's a lunch break. If it's a full day there could be an hour between heats - which is a good time to rehydrate, let the car cool down, watch other drivers, and even catch rides to see how others handle the track.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 PM
The other guys beat me to it.

I'm with Mike and have the SCCA membership, so Groove Unions are only $175 for me since I've done one before.
I think everyone missed the part about the refunding of money. The 250 is a starting point. If we get 20 people (12 have already signed up); the cost comes down to $167.50! If we get 30 people; $111.00; and so on.

When the facility opens up to events, they can put a set price per car. Here we are splitting it up among all users so the cost is variable. I can't imagine that we can't find 20 people in Houston that want to spend 167.50 to have 8 hrs of track time to use as they wish.

Everyone is correct that 5 hrs would wear you and the car out!
The point was that you could drive as much as you want and not be limited to a 20min session. Also, we are gonna run clockwise for part of the day and switch it in the afternoon so we can see the track from both directions.

Hope this clarifies how the cost will be figured out.
Hope to see you all out there!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I think the scary part, at least for some, may be the part about bringing the checkbooks. I've seen a lot of meets where some people just won't make it out there even after confirming they would. Those who do show up end up getting penalized.

In any case, is payment up front or on the day of?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
I think the scary part, at least for some, may be the part about bringing the checkbooks. I've seen a lot of meets where some people just won't make it out there even after confirming they would. Those who do show up end up getting penalized.

In any case, is payment up front or on the day of?
Great question! Payment is up front. If we have 40 people sign up then I will have 10k and refund the $6650.00 among the 40! The high "buy in" is mainly just to cover my butt since I put up the $3350.00.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GrandSport Group Track Day