Stillen Sways vs Stock Sways - Info and review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stillen Sways vs Stock Sways - Info and review

Put the Stillen sways on my car tonight. Car is a non-sport bone stock '08 G35.

First off, I was a little disappointed in the box contents. Other than the packing slip on the outside, there was nothing inside other than 2 bars and a catalog. I'm pretty experienced, no problems installing sway bars but if the rear is adjustable, maybe a little tidbit on positioning the links to ensure proper adjustment and to know what adjustment does what. It also would've been nice to have a small instruction sheet simply for tips as I've never worked on this particular car before. For instance, the rear sway bar is very easy to unbolt but it took me a sec to figure out how to get it out; chinese puzzle comes to mind, wasn't hard but took a sec to twist, move and find the right slot to get it out. An instruction sheet could give you the quick tip and avoid a couple minute delay fighting with it. Another inclusion to the contents/instructions is the ever popular tool list, not a big deal but nice to have to keep from getting up and down several times finding the right sizes.

Now, to the install:

Once i got the ginormous plastic cover off the the bottom, the stock bars were a cinch to get out... especially on a car with less than 1,000 miles. None of the bolts were rusted or locked, everything came apart easily. There was a definite difference in weight. I weighed the stock bars and Stillen bars and listed the weights below.

Stock ... Stillen
F- 6.5 ... 11.2
R- 4.8 ... 8.2

Fit on the front bar was nearly perfect; main issue was the front driver side link connection was a bit snug, didn't want to go in very easy and the end of the sway bar mount was a little too close to the control arm for comfort. After it was buttoned up, there was enough clearance but it was tight. Rear fit perfect. Install time was roughly an hour total, as I said, they go right in quickly.

After the install, I took it out for a test drive, half expecting the front link to rub. There were no rubs, no noises or squeaks. The difference between the two was subtle but there was an improvement in control and stability. The most noticeable difference was on really tight cornering and cornering under full throttle, there was a definite decrease on roll and the car stayed square and moved forward harder. I set the rears on the inner bolt holes (hardest setting I believe). With the VDC off, coming out of a parking area onto the street, I was able to bust them loose some, where before it would roll excessively and power to the ground would be sacrificed.

Driving at lower highway speeds, 60 to 80, it felt fairly similar, but at higher speeds and highway cornering above 80, the car felt more planted but still a subtle difference.

Overall, I'm glad I installed them. I think they perform well and believe they're doing all they can with the stock springs. I'd be interested to see and weigh some Sport sway bars vs. the Stillen sway bars. My next step will be wheels and tires (this week sometime) and I plan on installing some springs. I have Tanabe NF210s being delivered tomorrow but not sure if I'm wanting to go that route being the front/rear lowering differences but I've heard they're good performers. If I don't go the Tanabe route, I'll be going with some Teins, but I can't lower that much due to some bad local rural roads I have to drive.

No pics, they're red and shaped similar to the stock ones.

Last edited by sredish; 07-08-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still want to know if the rwd Sport bars will bolt in and improve a stock X?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Can't really help you there. I have heard that it will on the rear but the front won't, however, I can't assure you that. You might check with Infiniti to see what the stock rear bar part number is for the G35 and then the G35X; if it's the same, then you know it'll fit.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
can't wait to hear about the H&Rs!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KulG35
can't wait to hear about the H&Rs!
Yeah, no **** man. I know it's only your personal opinion in the end but I can't wait to see how the H&R turn out. It's hard to go wrong with any German automotive tuning.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the write up on your experience. I know on my older cars, sway bars made a whole lot of difference on cornering, but that's bc the cars didn't have any to start out with. But since ours already has sways from the factory, any improvement (if any) will be minimal.

With our car in general, not many mods really add SIGNIFICANTLY to the cars already good driving characteristics... Guess infiniti did their homework when they made this car.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
Yeah, no **** man. I know it's only your personal opinion in the end but I can't wait to see how the H&R turn out. It's hard to go wrong with any German automotive tuning.
Yea guys. They'll be delivered to my house on Monday but I won't be back home until next weekend so they'll be sitting there for a bit. As soon as I'm back, they're getting swapped and I'll give a report.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, the non sport sways are smaller than the sports and I guess the stillens are just slightly larger than the sports?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey thanks so much for that awesome review. I have been wondering about sway bars lately and you`ve answered my questions =)

Coming from an 01 honda accord, the handling of the G was light years away and found it awesome! but the problem is.. my gf drives an 07 bmw 328xi coupe and I sometimes drive it. After comparing how her car handles to mine... I find that my G rolls more than I would like.. and would love to have my G drive stiffer and better at corners. Her coupe is very stable at corners.. it kicks bum.

make sure you give us an update again in the near future about your thoughts with the sways =)