UTEC or Cobb AccessPort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
4. I have a Treo 750 that is windows based, can I run UpRev on it?
I was curious if it would work on a Palm-type system running windows and UpRev makes it seem like it was only formatted to work with the primary windows programs.

Old 09-11-2008 | 07:57 PM
Couple questions.
1. I know Utech can tune for nitrous. But can Cobb or UpRev?
2. Can you unflash UpRev as easily as Cobb, incase I need warrenty work?
3. Can Cobb or UpRev be resold? I know on Cobb you have to enter your VIN when you start it up. So can it only be used for that one VIN?
4. I have a Treo 750 that is windows based, can I run UpRev on it?
5. If we buy the current UpRev, can we get an update to the v2.0 when it is released? How much?
6. MOST IMPORTANTLY!! Does any of the 3 sponsor Driver? Discounts?
1 Yes we can, at the very least we can send you a map with retarded ignition for your wet shot nitrous system.
2 We will have that available shortly for customers, it's a free update patch for older customers.
3 Ours can be resold, or transfered to a new car once we have the stock flash available.
4 Don't know, we've never tested it, and haven't looked at supporting it. I doubt most small handheld devices have a USB host. If you can plug a printer into it and print then it has a USB host on it, and you're more than welcome to try.
5 There will be no real difference in Osiris and Osiris 2.0 to the basic Osiris customers, there is only a real difference to Osiris Pro Tuners, and for the use of Osiris Tuner when it becomes available.
6 We sponsor my350z.com one of the sister sites. I don't think any one of us is running a group buy or have a member discount currently. We've only ever run one group buy and it went miserably. How about we just make a better product with more functionality, features, and keep our prices more than competitive?

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by idrive_MD
if i was to venture into something like this I was just hoping for something smaller than a laptop, i.e. a Palm of some sort that way if I chose to use it while in the car fairly frequently it would be in a small package as opposed to a annoyingly sized laptop...i think that is some of the attraction to the Cobb unit, its at least appealing to look at if you choose to leave it out and running.

if im correct in assuming, the cipher is just a cable and a program you run on your PC for datalogging purposes. if you wanted to datalog live while running on a course you'd have to hardmount/secure the laptop somewhere that prevents it from moving around and becoming a hazard.

Granted, that could be as simple as velcro on the passenger side floor matt and the bottom of the PC, but something as small as a handheld in todays small gadgetry world is always a nice option as well.

So maybe my question is, can cipher run on a palm or is this something you would consider for the future?
No clue, not looking at supporting it currently. Theres more to it than just making it, new interfaces would need to be designed and lots of code would need to be changed. We'd have to raise prices to cover the extra programmer that it would take to help build it. Not really worth it.

Sub notebooks can be found for under $500 and they are pretty easy to secure. In car PC, sub notebook, laptop with a mount, there are a ton of know working ways to get everything you want, and the system requirements for Cipher are pretty minimal, find a nice old PIII laptop with Windows98SE and go to work.

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:09 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
I forget. Can the Cipher work on any obdII car? Not just nissans? And does the cipher monitor the auto tranny sensors also?

Old 09-12-2008 | 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I forget. Can the Cipher work on any obdII car? Not just nissans? And does the cipher monitor the auto tranny sensors also?

Only Nissan, only interfaces with the ECU not the tranny computer. It will see what info the tranny shares with the ECU which is not much.

Old 09-13-2008 | 11:08 AM
Jeff-

Have you installed the UpRev flash on to your 03 yet?

Old 09-13-2008 | 12:08 PM
I have the windows based treo, that does have a USB adapter, also an 8 gig SD card, hopefully enough memory to data log. I am just curious if I can install the Uprev software.
Can the uprev software adjust the a/f ratio while running nitrous if it gets too lean or simply retard timing?

Old 09-13-2008 | 07:34 PM
I have the windows based treo, that does have a USB adapter, also an 8 gig SD card, hopefully enough memory to data log. I am just curious if I can install the Uprev software.
Can the uprev software adjust the a/f ratio while running nitrous if it gets too lean or simply retard timing?
Not a USB adapter, can you grab the HP Printer off your desk and plug it in to your Treo and print? That would mean it has a USB Host controller. If it can do that then you MIGHT be able to use it though we haven't and won't be testing it to work on cell phones.

Old 09-13-2008 | 10:30 PM
Yes I can print off my phone, it has word and excel.
Also my other question..

Old 09-15-2008 | 04:21 PM
so utec or uprev?

Old 09-15-2008 | 05:07 PM
Yes I can print off my phone, it has word and excel.
Also my other question..
I've never seen a phone that you can plug a printer into directly, but ok.

We can adjust anything you'd like to adjust. If you want to add more fuel, or retard timing we can do both.

Old 09-15-2008 | 05:11 PM

Actually I just looked it up. You can plug your phone into the USB port on your computer, you cannot plug a USB device into it. So you can't plug in the Cipher cable and use it. So far no phone on the market has that ability.

Secondly your phone doesn't have Windows, it has Windows Mobile, which is a totally different OS, and would require a complete re-write of the code to work on, plus all new smaller interfaces.

So no our products will not work on any phone based device currently available.

Old 09-18-2008 | 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by UpRev
Actually I just looked it up. You can plug your phone into the USB port on your computer, you cannot plug a USB device into it. So you can't plug in the Cipher cable and use it. So far no phone on the market has that ability.

Secondly your phone doesn't have Windows, it has Windows Mobile, which is a totally different OS, and would require a complete re-write of the code to work on, plus all new smaller interfaces.

So no our products will not work on any phone based device currently available.
You made panda sad.

I found one of these bad boys for 780 online. It has USB connection and windows XP.

Old 04-11-2009 | 05:12 PM
Did you buy it and hook it up to test?

Old 04-15-2009 | 04:15 AM
The Cobb accessport is a great device, they started off with subbies and just recently made the ap for 350z G35 and GTR.. I am too in the market and am stuck between the Cobb AP and the Uprev.. With the Uprev can you time 0-60, 1/4 mile times? I was looking for some more information about the Cipher program on the website but couldnt find much.. Also wondering if anybody that has purchased the Cobb AP could give some feedback on the unit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UTEC or Cobb AccessPort