Utec tuning in MI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utec tuning in MI

I contacted one of the few tuning shops in my area (Detroit, MI) that deal with Utec's and imports ( This is muscle car country here ) but, was very disappointed with there response to my question about tuning my vehicle. I have an 04 G35 that I'm installing a Procharger, larger injectors, walbro, Utec, and one step colder plugs.

Here's there first response "Bronson, I'm sorry but I don't want to touch the UTEC on that car. It really needs a standalone EMS like Haltech to allow us proper control."

Second response: " The UTEC is a piggyback, the Nissan ECU does not do well with piggy backs, it can learn around the tune. Also timing control is inadequate on the UTEC, it overrides the factory ECU's ability to pull timing if needed. Right now in my opinion the Haltech is the only really good tuning solution for the 350z/G35 because it's a full standalone.

How true is this? I know the Haltech has a lot more options for tuning but, there are tons of people that use the Utec. I have already purchased the Utec and map sensor. So, I'm not sure what I should do. I don't really want to become an expert Utec programmer but, what other options do I have?

Thanks for your help

Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
What he said is pretty much spot on. Which is why the Utec is not as popular a choice in these vehicles now that we have forced induction support and there are good solid stand alones like the Haltech available with plug and play harnesses.

Sounds like he's up to two things. He doesn't want to deal with a car that will potentially come back to haunt him because he doesn't have the control he feels is correct to make it safe. Or he doesn't like having to tell customers the rebuild of their motor is going to cost them XXX.

I'm sure there are shops out there that will do it. Most of our Pro Tuner will do it, they'll just make sure to use our system so they can control the things they need on the stock ECU so that the Utec actually works right. We just don't have any Pro Tuners near you, the closest would be in Chicago.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I think a stand alone unit seems a little extreme for my application. I'm just planning a modest build, something in the mid to upper 300hp range. The Utec should have enough parameters to tune a supercharger and supporting mods.

I think that shop owner wants me buy a Haltech from them $$$

Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by brotus
I think a stand alone unit seems a little extreme for my application. I'm just planning a modest build, something in the mid to upper 300hp range. The Utec should have enough parameters to tune a supercharger and supporting mods.

I think that shop owner wants me buy a Haltech from them $$$
Osiris does the job too without being as expensive as the Utec. Plus with the Osiris Standard all you have to do is install and let us do eTunes

You're probably right about not needing something as in depth as the Haltech, but the things that tuner told you about the Utec are true.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Do you have the website for shop you are referring to in Chicago? Its only about 5 hrs away from me.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Genesis Racing Dev. will tune it, along with most other ems.

http://grdstore.com/

Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Thanks, I'll check them out.
They're a good shop, they did my TT and built motor install, along with tuning.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I use to have a Utec and a Procharger, they both svck!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
I use to have a Utec and a Procharger, they both svck!
Sorry to hear that. What problems did you have with it?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Procharger design svcks, it's abnoxiously loud, makes less power than every other charger, and you cant even get the damn pulley/belt to stay on if you wanna upgrade to the boost. Their customer service svcks, their warranty svcks. Unless you have a muscle car/american car, then go for a procharger,besides that, WHY?? HKS, VORTECH is WAY BETTER hands down, and I LEARNED IT THE HARD WAY. But it WILL still work though and you WILL have fun regardless that I promise

UTEC, pretty much whatever your tuner said to ya. Utec Bl0o0ows. I had a hks fcon vpro on my behalf tho

Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I contacted Injected Performance and they are going to do my tune along with the installation of a few other things. I think I should be in good hands.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Pssh Bro I went to GTM!!! I was in Better hands I had the Procharger and sold it 1 month later LOL. Switched to an hks system and that blow the procharger away! I rather stay NA then go Procharger in my opinion. But don't get me wrong, i use to love the damn system, until i sold it then i can reveal my feelings puhaha, honest.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I contacted Injected Performance and they are going to do my tune along with the installation of a few other things. I think I should be in good hands.
Injected is awesome. Good choice.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact Jan @ Speed Industry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Utec tuning in MI