Could a Cam Sensor/Servo be bad and it still run ok?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could a Cam Sensor/Servo be bad and it still run ok?

I have been having slow acceleration from the car since I replaced the motor with a LOW mileage replacement. I KNOW i connected everthing back up but it just seems to adjust the timing at around 5k rpms and anything below that is SLOW to accelerate compared to the original motor.
After driving it REALLY hard the other day and really getting a feel for it, it seems as if the cams are not adjusting themselves correctly or at the correct RPM.

Is it possible to have affected the timing or lack-of when I replaced the motor.
The motor wasn't altered at all from the crate to the car. It was strictly plug and play with the exception of the Intake and exhaust manifolds.

What are the accelertation points (RPM's) supposed to be? I thought the Cam's timing altered at 3k rpms or so. Mine are waiting till close to 5k and then you feels some power release.

It runs good idle and otherwise, just doesn't have the acceleration it should.

Could a cam sensor be bad? I don't have any codes. Could it be acting slowly, the sensor

Edit: Let me clarify, it's not accelerating too slow to drive normal, but slow in the case of trying to get on it and feel any kind of power out of the motor that should be there. Car is just heavy feeling

Last edited by jwrape; 06-03-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 AM
I read the Common symptoms of a bad CPS is bad performance, BUT every thread on the Driver says that when they go bad, the car dies in the middle of the street. Mine has been running the exact same way for over a year now. I've just delt with the lack of power.
Makes me wonder if it is the CPS or not.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards to the cam sensors, I had both of them throw codes in my car. Starting was difficult, could take up to a few minutes to fire up but once it did the engine ran smoohtly, albeit with a lack of power. So yes, cam sensors can be bad and the motor will still run.

I don't have any experience with the variable timing actuators on this motor but on my STI the motor ran smoothly with them disconnected but again it was just down on power.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Yea, with the lack of power I am assuming it's the Cam Sensor, BUT I have never had any lights or codes and hasn't ever been hard to start so it is a gamble but I ordered one and it should be on my door step tonight. Hopefully I can get it changed real quick and see if the passengerside it the issue.
From what I have read, that one SEEMS to be the one that fails the most. Also it was the one I didn't have connected at first start up with the new motor so it might have fried it when I did connect it.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did your issue get fixed? I'm having problems starting my car but I'm not throwing any codes.