Osiris e-Tune vs Protune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Osiris e-Tune vs Protune

I'm planning to get an Osiris tune soon, and I have a question for you guys. There's a local tuner in my area (well, an hour and a half away) who tunes with Osiris. I don't think he has a dyno, but I think he does e-Tunes for locals. From what I hear he's pretty knowledgeable on tuning cars, but I don't know that he has much experience tuning G35s with Osiris. I think he just became an Osiris tuner earlier this year.

Would I be better off going with his tune, or with the e-tunes offered by Uprev? There aren't any other Osiris tuners in my area.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
No sure how it works with osiris but couldn't you use both... Order up Osiris with the etunes preinstalled and since it has 5 maps, you can use your local guy's tune as one of the maps?

I havent looked it up yet, since i'm done modding but i think you should be able to do it. Obviously a dyno protune > *

Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
No sure how it works with osiris but couldn't you use both... Order up Osiris with the etunes preinstalled and since it has 5 maps, you can use your local guy's tune as one of the maps?

I havent looked it up yet, since i'm done modding but i think you should be able to do it. Obviously a dyno protune > *
I could...but why would I? I'm only going to use 1 or 2 maps total (Power and Econ). And the price for both of my options above are the same, AFAIK. If I did both, I would be paying a lot more. I'm just asking for input on which would have the best result.

A dyno protune isn't an option for me, as there aren't any dyno Osiris protuners near me. According to uprev's site, the next closest tuner (dyno or not) is in Denver, which is 8-10hrs away. Out of the question.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Its likely that his e-tunes are Uprev e-tunes, since he doesn't have a dyno. Unless he has dyno tuned a car with similar mods he has nothing to go by.

-Rob

Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports
Its likely that his e-tunes are Uprev e-tunes, since he doesn't have a dyno. Unless he has dyno tuned a car with similar mods he has nothing to go by.

-Rob
Is that typically how it works, then? Uprev sends base maps to each pro tuner to use as, well, a base?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by keithk831
Is that typically how it works, then? Uprev sends base maps to each pro tuner to use as, well, a base?

Yes, and a lot of non-VQ shops that just sell Uprev (with no real experience with it) will just sell you their base map, so its the same as just buying their E-Tune online. Since we dyno tune a handful of cars on Uprev every week we have our own maps for certain mods.

-Rob

Old 11-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks.

I'm also wondering how useful the multiple map feature is. I wouldn't ever use a valet map; if anything it would just be econ and power.

In the Subaru world, the most powerful tune is typically the most fuel efficient as well (I got 29-31mpg out of my Stage 2 Legacy GT). Is the econ map going to make that much of a difference, or should I just use the power map and call that good?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned
Thanks.

I'm also wondering how useful the multiple map feature is. I wouldn't ever use a valet map; if anything it would just be econ and power.

In the Subaru world, the most powerful tune is typically the most fuel efficient as well (I got 29-31mpg out of my Stage 2 Legacy GT). Is the econ map going to make that much of a difference, or should I just use the power map and call that good?
There is no need for multiple maps (unless you really need Valet) we will provide them if requested but one map can maximize fuel efficiency and power, they are in totally different portions of the map.

-Rob

Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Can anyone tell me which parameters to log with Cipher for a tune? I just got my Cipher cable from Uprev and i'd like to "get to know" my car before I get the Osiris Standard and start getting it tuned.

I have done lots of tuning and logging on Subarus, but this is a bit different.

Which parameters are typically logged and sent to Uprev for tuning, and what type of pull is expected? 0-60?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Banned
Can anyone tell me which parameters to log with Cipher for a tune? I just got my Cipher cable from Uprev and i'd like to "get to know" my car before I get the Osiris Standard and start getting it tuned.

I have done lots of tuning and logging on Subarus, but this is a bit different.

Which parameters are typically logged and sent to Uprev for tuning, and what type of pull is expected? 0-60?
Give our Tuner/Service Manager Jon a Call 770-838-7777 Ext.311, he can tell you what to log.

-Rob