Reality of a Dyno Tune>>>>> Stock ECU vs Hypertech vs UpRev

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Reality of a Dyno Tune>>>>> Stock ECU vs Hypertech vs UpRev

Yesterday I had the opportunity to get some dyno tuning done and see a comparison of Stock ECU, Hyper-Tech and UpRev Tune.

The car is our shop car, a 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan with the following modifications for engine performance. Motordyne 5/16 basic plenum spacer, R2C Intake, G37 OEM Y Pipe, G35 Coupe OEM mid pipe and HKS Axle Back Exhaust.

The dyno graph will speak for it self and peak WHP for the stock ECU was 210, the Hyper Tech peak WHP was 213 and the UpRev Tune peak WHP was 218. But to put things into perspective a bit more I will add my take on the matter. As you can see from the A/F ratio, the stock ECU is not able to compensate for the minor modifications done to the car and dangerously lean with A/F ratio a 15:1 at some points. The Hyper Tech unit did its best for an out of the box tune to correct the A/F back into the safe zone, but still limited. The UpRev Tune really brought this car to life, not only from a peak HP # difference, but overall picture. As you can see in the mid range area, the UpRev Tune is making 10+ WHP over the Hyper-Tech and 20+ WHP over the Stock ECU and the A/F is dead on and you can also see the difference in torque as well. The UpRev tune has yielded better partial throttle drive feel and fuel economy because steadystate drivability areas of the map were able to be tuned. Separately from driveability, the UpRev also allowed us to tune full throttle and power areas of the map, including the fuel, ignition and cam timing maps. Initial impressions from driving the car afterwards is that it feels faster, the power delivery is very linear because of the new mapping.

So in conclusion, if you are going to spend your hard earned money on Intakes, Exhausts and High Flow Cats, spend the little extra insurance on extracting all the power possible from those modifications with a dyno-tune and to buy yourself some insurance on not destroying anything in the process.

I would like to thank the guys over at Dynosty and Hal the tuner behind the results.

Dyno used was a Dyno-Dynamics which read approximately 12% lower than a dyno jet.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I like this, someone needs to do this with a standalone vs up rev now that would be even better I haven't purchased tuning software yet beceause I can't decide if I want haltech or up rev

Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The parts installed on your car have a ton to do with what kind of software you should consider. Don't really think you need a stand alone if you just have bolt ons.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg
I like this, someone needs to do this with a standalone vs up rev now that would be even better I haven't purchased tuning software yet because I can't decide if I want haltech or up rev
The parts installed on your car have a ton to do with what kind of software you should consider. Don't really think you need a stand alone if you just have bolt ons. Dyno tuning is absolutely the way to go each step of the way to maximize your gains though.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 06 6mt with
K&N drop in filter
Kinteix V+ upper plenum
Motordyne MREV2 lower plenum
stock headers
Motordyne ART test pipes
and Borla cat back exhaust
after installing the Kinetix and ART pipes at the same time i got a service engine soon light which is a MIL meaning emissions i guess. How bad is it for my car to run like this? what if there isnt a dyno tuner around my area Jacksonville FL, can you tune it from data logging?
I love my G and want to pull every hp/trq i can from my bolt ons.