Upcoming Events Upcoming G35/350Z

"THE RUN" Northeast Mountain Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"THE RUN" Northeast Mountain Drive

THE RUN: NORTHEAST MOUNTAIN DRIVE

This mountain run event will be the first for what promises to be another great annual G/Z happening. The date is set for Saturday, July 15, 2006. The driving event will be a spectacular and spirited run through the winding country backroads of the Berkshire mountains of western Massachusetts and the Green Mountains of Vermont.

The initial meeting point will be at FRIENDLY'S restaurant in WESTFIELD, MA

Meeting Time will be 7:00am. We will depart at about 7:45am. The early time is to ensure empty driving roads.

Take exit 3 off I-90 (Mass Turnpike). Immediately after the toll booth, there will be a traffic light and FRIENDLY's will be straight ahead. Proceed straight at the light and turn LEFT into the large Friendly's lot.

The final destination will be STRATTON MOUNTAIN resort in Southern Vermont.

The first leg of the drive is really to get us to the point at which we will begin '"the run". It is a 15 mile stretch up a semi-rural divided highway. Fairly straight and not too exciting. We will keep a slow-moderate pace.

We will then venture onto a portion of the famed "Route 66". Before long, this stretch of road turns into a series of smooth banked sweepers with a few gentle dips and straights thrown in.

Route 66 then intersects Route 112 North which is as exciting a driving road as any. Rises, falls, banked turns, sweepers, switchbacks, short straights.....it has it all. I haven't been there since the winter, but last year the road was in exellent condition.

We will then link onto Route 143 for a short while then veer off into some real back-country. Make sure you have gas, 'cause I mean serious hill territory, real screw-your-cousin country, which makes for great driving!!

We will hook back up to Route 112 and carry on into Vermont. From there, we'll hook onto Route 100 into West Wardsboro, VT. Here we will link onto the final access roads to the back door entrance to Stratton mountain.

The final stretch of road is a fabulous driving experience and is the closest thing you will ever get to a roller coaster ride in an automobile. While it is fun, you also need to use EXTREME CAUTION.

We will have brunch at Stratton mountain village then head back down south via Route 100, 9, and I-91. The TENTATIVE plan is to meet at JERRY ROME NISSAN in West Springfield, MA, in mid-afternoon. (This is still being worked out). The dealership is conveniently located just minutes from I-91 and just one exit down from the intersection of I-91 and I-90, so departure should be a breeze.

For those coming up Friday night, look for lodging at either the Quality Inn or Hampton Inn on Route 5, Riverdale road, West Springfield. It is off exit 13 South on I-91. I-90 is exit 14 off I-91. Please PM me if you need more info.

A fully detailed driving route will be handed out the morning of the drive. And please......Use proper judgement. This is NOT A DESIGNED RACE TRACK. Have fun, but let's stay safe. Hopefully you all know what this means.

Last edited by Speedracer2; 06-20-2006 at 08:56 PM.