Extremely odd navigation screen display

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:25 PM
|
Extremely odd navigation screen display

The compass heading indicator on my navigation screen points north and south correctly, but indicates east and west directions backwards. When I知 headed north-east, it points north-west. If I知 headed south-east, it points south west. Any ideas on the cause and/or solution?

Old 07-20-2007 | 02:15 PM
Traveling Administrator
Do you have the correct zone chosen? Also, maybe it needs to be calibrated.

Old 07-20-2007 | 03:25 PM
|
Thanks for the response. If zone is the same as region, then I've got the right one. If it means something else, then I'm not sure how to do it. My first thought was that they either put something in backwards or they put a plus instead of a minus in some software program.

Old 07-21-2007 | 09:57 AM
Traveling Administrator
I believe that zone and region are the same thing. There are 15 different zones to choose from, depending where you are located in NA. If you have your zone already set correctly, I would try calibrating the compass. Instructions on calibrating the compass are on page 2-9 and 2-10 of your Owner's Manual.

Old 07-22-2007 | 01:20 PM
|
Compass calibration question

Thanks for the info. The compass in the rear view mirror reads correctly. Its the tiny compass on the navigation screen that is having problems. Will the calibration process fix it also?

Old 07-23-2007 | 03:26 PM
that's beyond odd, and it would prevent the nav from functioning at all if the poles are reversed 180 degrees because as soon as you started moving, the nav would plot you going in the other direction,

are you sure that you aren't just reading the nav compass wrong?

Old 07-24-2007 | 01:20 AM
lol
it makes me laugh.....the problems that can occur the farther technology advances...
g/l with the problem. maybe you should just consult the dealership...
You could also maybe post a picture, (maybe just for ****s and giggles)

Old 07-24-2007 | 01:25 AM
Smile

I think it's because this is a Japanese car. Once you cross the International Dateline, east becomes west and vice versa.

Or something like that.

Old 07-24-2007 | 12:11 PM
|
I'm not sure if I could take a picture showing both the compass on the nav screen (pointing one way) and the compass in the rear view mirror (pointing another direction. The directions provided by the nav system always show the correct route, so it appears to be only the nav screen compass that is having problems. I'll try switching the nav screen to "north up" mode to see if anything weird happens when I try to follow a route.

Old 07-24-2007 | 04:58 PM
I'm thinking that Nav is set for "Heading Up". When that happens, the little red arrow in the compass is pointing to North, which is different than the direction you are heading. When Nav is set for Heading Up, the only time all the compasses (Nav screen and mirror) are in sync is when you are traveling North. Does this help?

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:57 AM
|
I can't accept that as a correct answer because it would be admitting that I'm a dummy. But seriously, now I get it. The review mirror shows the direction the car is pointing and the compass on the nav screen points towards north. However, shouldn't the nav screen compass also point to the direction the car is headed. Otherwise w/o the review mirror, It would require doing math in your head to determine what direction you are heading.

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:59 AM

it's all good, man.

i've done MUCH dumber things... much much much dumber.

Old 07-25-2007 | 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by pjflyer
I can't accept that as a correct answer because it would be admitting that I'm a dummy. But seriously, now I get it. The review mirror shows the direction the car is pointing and the compass on the nav screen points towards north. However, shouldn't the nav screen compass also point to the direction the car is headed. Otherwise w/o the review mirror, It would require doing math in your head to determine what direction you are heading.
If you set the map to "Heading North", then the map is always situated with North on top and the compass will always appear to act "normally" (up=north, left=west, right=east, down=south). However, when you use Heading North, the map never changes position, while the vehicle position arrow changes as you make the turns.

I much prefer "Heading Up" which means that the vehicle position arrow is always pointing forward no matter which direction you are heading, and the entire map shifts around to accommodate your direction of travel.

This gives you a better sense of direction (IMO) because the cross streets on the map screen reflect exactly what you see ahead of you as you drive.

The only down side is that the compass arrow, pointing North at all times, is constantly changing to accomodate the map shifts. I think this is what is confusing you.

Old 07-25-2007 | 07:32 PM
here, let me share my brightest moment:

what's wrong with this picture?

Old 07-30-2007 | 12:53 AM
You reassembled the chain around the step on your ladder?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extremely odd navigation screen display