No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative

Hi everyone, though i would share this.

So i recently go a 2007 g35s 6spd with premium. But no navi or tech package. For one i couldn't justify spending $3000 (canadian price) on a system that locks you out once the vehicle moves, and from what i hear, doesn't have the greatest functionality despite the nice gui.
I know, it also has the hd but, the reviews were far from great, with lockout with the car moving and multiple burning issues.
The second reason was that I needed to have the car in 2 weeks (accident replacement for my 06) which meant this was (by fluck) the only 6spd in the country that wasn't spoken for - no colour choice, package choice, just take it or leave it

So here is my solution for the navigation package. I've heard it discussed, so i thought i would share my experience with you all.

Pictures are below.

Purchase a Garmin GVN 520 black box - I paid $300 for this on ebay including the shipping brand new in box

step 1: bypass the motion lockout on the aux input
step 2: remove centre console (4 screws)
step 3: find a mounting location - i chose under the glove box attached to the cover below it - out of sight, easy access.
step 4: pull wires through - the 3 rca cables went to the glove box (drill one hole) and two more (ground and acc) went to the cigarette lighter and tapped into it
step 5: remove battery cover and pull through third cable to batt
step 6: attach module to trim panel below glove box
step 7: remove passenger side door sill trims to pull gps antenna to rear deck
step 8: connect all and hide wires.
step 9: reassemble your car

and start her up and enjoy your new toy

Next post will discuss the program and the interface.

Attached Thumbnails No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g1.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g2.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g3.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g4.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g5.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (06-29-2011)
Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 PM
few more of install

if anyone is curious in the second pic, the second power wire is for the cathodic rust module, seen at bottom of pic beside battery (charges chassis to prevent corrosion) .... we shall see

Attached Thumbnails No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g6.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g7.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g8.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g9.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g10.jpg  

Last edited by ON_6MT; 09-10-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 PM
final position

Attached Thumbnails No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g11.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
ok so now for the review:

so the unit runs via a small rf remote (see pic) with a scroll mouse on it. The use of this unit is really easy and intuitive with the shortcut buttons.

The unit has a fantastic interface with a great display. I was worried about bad resolution using rca, but it looks great. Also the colours reverse for nightime according to the gps clock and local sunset times (awesome)

Other features
-it has an xm and fm tuner built in (i dont have the antenna for this - not sure if i will get it) this will give you traffic, stocks, local weather, music of course, etc.
- it has a full built in trip computer that calculates all sorts of info.
Has garmin's full north america and europe maps on its bulilt in hd with tens if not hundreds of thousands of poi - all accessible on the go.

BEST OF ALL - when i try to use it in motion, the only prompt i get is "disable in motion lockout ?" select yes, and from now on you can always change and access every setting of the gps.

So now to concour the navigation's package's mp3 hd. That was simple since i already have the best mp3 player interface (aka ipod) so remove the audio cables for the gps and hook up my ipod through a ground loop isolator and using a belkin carger/amplifier (see pics) and now i can listen to all my mp3's with my gps on the screen (sure beats the status or black screen). Besides i mostly listen to mp3s over radio.

So overall, a very satisfying install and at $300 versus $3000, with no lockout, equal gui, better poi, and garmin's great interface this was a great install. Feel free to ask questions.

Attached are the remote and interface pics.

Attached Thumbnails No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g12.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g13.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g14.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g15.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g16.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (06-29-2011)
Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
that is pretty sweet

Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
few more pics

the second pic shows the colour reversal for night time.

Attached Thumbnails No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g17.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g18.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g19.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g20.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g21.jpg  

Last edited by ON_6MT; 09-10-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
a few more for completion sake.

Attached Thumbnails No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g22.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g23.jpg   No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative-g24.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks really nice and clean. wish that system had bluetooth...

Old 09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by _evilMonkey_
looks really nice and clean. wish that system had bluetooth...

but the car does - when the phone rings it still goes to the in call menu and the stereo switches to speakerphone

unless there is another use you were thinking of

Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awsome job, great idea
Looks factory installed

Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The topic of bypassing any of the motion locks is not permitted on this site.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Very, very nice. What a great idea and you get to use the OEM screen, and go through the Garmin black box. Excellent.
From my past experience with my Garmin marine chartplotter GPS and my portable Garmin Streetpilot they can't be beat. Superior to the stock OEM Nav unit for sure.
Sweet

Old 09-10-2007, 11:12 PM
damn. I wish you live in LA so I can pay you to install one for me. now if only you could fine a rear camera that would be sweet.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:51 PM
thanks for the kind words all

Originally Posted by flipa77
damn. I wish you live in LA so I can pay you to install one for me. now if only you could fine a rear camera that would be sweet.
haha, i'd do it for a few good beers, im a fan of helping out those who are interested ...

rear camera may come depends how my ADD is, although i've had allot of downtown parallel parking experience so i've gotten comfortable ... but you never know...

Old 09-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Looks sweet, I would love to get one for my Non-nav G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative