No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great

Wow, would love to do that to my non nav G. Got lost on step 1 though.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by viguera
I think a lot of the aftermarket nav stuff is better than OEM... you can hack a lot of it and add features, change colors, and map upgrades are cheaper and/or more frequent.

But with that said, you can't beat the integration of an OEM setup. Touchscreen, voice commands, etc.

And remember, any car that doesn't have these jacks in the console for audio/video input requires additional money to be spent on the interface. It just so happens that this car was built mod-friendly for this particular mod...
personally i think he just beat the integration of the oem setup. i don't think touchscreen and voice commands are worth 2700 dollars

Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Wei
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bwstreet
Wow, would love to do that to my non nav G. Got lost on step 1 though.
it really isn't that difficult...

and for me, and couple others here, it's definitely worth saving over 2k to diy this nifty little black box

touch screen would've been nice, that's about the only feature i wish i had, but i rarely use the nav anyways, so no regrets at all, go garmin, yay

Old 05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Waz350GT
sorry to dig up an old thread, but i just wanted to know.. i have the same setup and am trying to switch the "Arrow" which indicated your car to an actual image of a car like in other garin models..

have you figured this out yourself?
Truthfully I havent tried this, it may be possible to do it with an update from garmin, but i havent seen anything.

Overall to those who are considering an installation its an excellent setup. The garmin interface and database is extremely comprehensive, and the lack of touch screen is a very small issue. I actually like holding the remote in a comfortable position instead of reaching forward to navigate via touchscreen. Also when using it with the ipod hooked into the stereo RCA's i get my whole music library while following the gps instructions.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey ON 6MT

Question, I messaged you about this.. but I figured I might as well ask you here again for other ppl's benefit. I was wondering, if this kind of mod will have any warranty issues with infiniti. Is that a problem? and what have the dealers said about your mod when you brought your car for service? haha

I live in Ontario too! I am very interested in your setup! :P

Old 05-30-2008, 07:22 PM
this should be a sticky

Old 05-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Hey ON 6MT

Question, I messaged you about this.. but I figured I might as well ask you here again for other ppl's benefit. I was wondering, if this kind of mod will have any warranty issues with infiniti. Is that a problem? and what have the dealers said about your mod when you brought your car for service? haha

I live in Ontario too! I am very interested in your setup! :P
Hi Wes,

Truthfully I dont know about the warranty. The unit itself shouldn't cause any problems as it plugs in thru the video input, the only iffy part might be the bypass mod as it invloves some cutting of a factory harness, but unless you make a serious mistake and short something you should have nothing to worry about.

Where abouts in ON are you?

Old 05-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by ON_6MT
Hi Wes,

Truthfully I dont know about the warranty. The unit itself shouldn't cause any problems as it plugs in thru the video input, the only iffy part might be the bypass mod as it invloves some cutting of a factory harness, but unless you make a serious mistake and short something you should have nothing to worry about.

Where abouts in ON are you?
You know what I will do, I will ask my contact at Infiniti about this and see what they say. And I will report back here and let you guys know.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 AM
question:

from where did u run the wire from inside the car to the batt?

the install pic shows the red wire has to goto ignition fuse... did you use any fuses?

Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 AM
PTP
Question about the install

I had a few question about the install:

1. If your wiring into the cigarette lighter connection whats the need to tap into the battery?
2. How do you get the center console off?

3. How do I get get glove box bottom panel off to attach it there?
4. Any other pointers?

Thanks alot, I appreciate you help.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:11 AM
6MT, I sent a PM with a few questions. Thanks in advance for any answers you may provide.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I wish I knew about this before I ordered the Navigation package. Music box has turned out to be a big disappointment without being able to copy your MP3 files to HD. It would be better just to get the iPod adapter and this navigation add-on.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Wow - that is awesome!! Good job!!!
Im so glad I ran into your post. I actually left my service rep a message about installing a navigation system (aftermarket) to see if it was possible (using main screen).

I know you mentioned the garmin model you purchased but is there any other ones (newer) that are better??? Im so going to ask my brother in law to install it in my car... I suck at these things!
Thanks again!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 PM
i think the newest one is the gvn 53, a few minor changes. Both units 52, 53 have a usb and memory card slot so they can be continually updated.

Good luck with the install,

Originally Posted by LovelyMe
Wow - that is awesome!! Good job!!!
Im so glad I ran into your post. I actually left my service rep a message about installing a navigation system (aftermarket) to see if it was possible (using main screen).

I know you mentioned the garmin model you purchased but is there any other ones (newer) that are better??? Im so going to ask my brother in law to install it in my car... I suck at these things!
Thanks again!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:43 PM
nice alternative, but I wouldnt knock on the factory system, only issue is the lockout thing but other than that I find that it works flawlessly for me w/o fail everytime.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: No factory navigation? - Here's a Navi alternative