Ipod issues, keeps discharging .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod issues, keeps discharging .

All,

I have 5th Gen IPod and as we all know, it is not being charged in G35 (I have 2008 G35xS) when the car is Off. My IPod is connected to the car with Infiniti provided cable in the armrest. The issue that I am having is that when the car sits in the garage for a day or two, iPod dies and I lose the spot in my eBooks where I left off last and also if I am shuffling songs. This gets really annoying.
It almost sounds like my car drains the battery on the IPod.

I tried various things:
1. Used my wife’s newer iPod to see if this is IPod related; same thing.
2. turn the sleep timer on, but it turns back to "off" setting next time (the following are the instructions from Apple to set the Sleep Timer):

a. From the Main Menu click to select Extras - Clock - Sleep Timer and click to select the duration you want (15, 30, 60, 90, or 120 Minutes)
b. Notice that when you set the Sleep Timer, a clock icon and the number of minutes left until iPod turns off will appear in the Now Playing screen
c. When the iPod turns off, the Sleep Timer automatically resets to Off. You will need to set the Sleep Timer each time you wish to use it

3. Reset all the setting
4. Updated the software.
5. Bought a new Infiniti IPod cable that connects IPod to the car

Please let me know of anyone is having the same issues or has any suggestions.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
get the scosche ipod adaptor. my nano would not charge with just the inifiniti cable. i got the adaptor and everything is good now.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Did your nano charge when the car was "On" and did not when the car was "Off"? With the adaptor it started charging with On or Off?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by ellisina4
Did your nano charge when the car was "On" and did not when the car was "Off"? With the adaptor it started charging with On or Off?
with the scosche adapter, my nano now charges when the car is on. it would not charge at all before.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
well, then this is not the issue I am having. my IPod has been charging with the car being ON from the very beginning.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Interesting. I had this same situation with a completely different vehicle using a Scosche adapter.
I have an iPod Nano as well.

1.) It dies or locks up after being left unused in the vehicle for a few days. I'm pretty sure the power gets cut off to the unit after the vehicle is off for a few minutes.

At first I thought maybe the ipod just used a little bit of power even when off and that it just drains fast. However, I literally have had the nano on my desk for weeks and tried it the other day and it still fired up so I don't think it draws that much power when it's actually off.

2.) When it's plugged into my home stereo receiver (has an iPod connector built in). It works perfectly fine. Shuts itself off just fine and fires up again fine.

So I don't know. It could have something to do with the car's iPod connector due to #2, but I don't think I can change much (if anything) about how the car iPod adapter works so I was hoping there would be some sort of setting on the iPod that would make sure it turned off. I updated it to the latest available firmware and tried changing some settings but couldn't find anything that seemed to work.

For now, I just have to make sure I take it out of the vehicle when it's not being used which is not ideal.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 AM
This is just strange, there is a huge number of 2007+ G35 owners. only a couple of people posted. Does this mean that everyone else is not having the same issue? Please let me know.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM
No I think a bunch have just gotten used to it. I used to get pissed when i used the ipod for the gym and it was dead. Now my ipod kind of just sits attached to my card 24/7. If it dies, it recharges itself.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:11 AM
I have a 5th gen video and it always die if leave it in the car plugged in (even if it turn it off after stopping engine.) it's not a big deal to me tho

Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I got the same problem as well, but you just get used to it...

I think that it should be fixable via a software update if someone actually realizes its a problem at apple....not that they would care LOL.

Just suck it up and remember all the 07 guys that don't have ipod integration.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:41 PM
I bought IPod classic 120Gb and no issues any more.

I guess any older IPod that has a choice in the menu to select Sleep will have these issues.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Thumbs up

In my 2008 G35S, I keep my ipod touch (1st generation, 16 GB) connected all the time. The ipod interface works amazing, and never loses my spot in podcasts. As phone calls come in, the ipod pauses. When I stop and turn off car, the ipod stops, remembers the location and powers off (I guess). Next time in car, the ipod plays podcast from where it last stopped. Two thumbs for the excellent integration. I have had similar experience with my nano (1st generation, 2GB). Two thumbs for this implementation to infiniti.

Lunchman.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
As mentioned by a few fellow posters, it is probably a combination of things

1. many of us just got used to it, and use the ipod in the car 24/7

2. MAYBE some of the newest Ipods don't have the same issues due to upgraded software.

3. having an 08 with factory ipod integration makes us feel lucky enough not to complain when considering that the 07's don't have that luxury :-)

4. there is nothing we can currently do about it

Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
any update to this situation? i just bought an 08' w/ ipod integration and my ipod is almost dead in the morning when i look at it...

Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
i bought new 160Gb ipod about a year and no issues anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipod issues, keeps discharging .