How To: Freeing up Space in the center console.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
How To: Freeing up Space in the center console.

Ok, so i know there is a DIY in the DIY section about a much more involved way to do this here but i did not feel comfortable taking apart the whole dash and splicing into wires so i figured i would share with everyone the solution i came up with.

The Charger i had before was the main issue. it stuck out and up into the center console area and essentially took up all space. I stumbled accross this at the apple store from Belkin. i picked mine up off ebay for around 15 free shipping. the Charger sits flush against the charger and doesnt stick out at all! Problem number 1 solved.

Belkin Micro Charger

For the cables i did alot of research and unfortuantely all of us with the iPhone with firmware version 3.0 or higher are basically stuck with the OEM cables only offered by Apple if we want to be able to charge and listen/watch anything in our Gs at the same time. (Trust me i know, i bought some knockoff Composite cables that also had the USB for charging and the phone told me it wasnt compatable)

These are 49.99 if you order them from apple (OUCH) and they can be found here However i found them from a guy in cali off ebay selling them for $25 without the wall charger that comes in apples kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200377978210

All in if you do it right you will have a setup that keeps your console fairly clutter free for less than the cost of the original robbery price Apple is charging for these things. These are both on the way now and the auction is only good for another 2 days so get them while there hot! I will try and post pics when i get it all in!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice solution. I had to have additional cigarette lighter sockets (for my GPS traffic receiver and another phone), so I bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SWITCH-1-USB-2-CAR-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-SOCKET-SPLITTER_W0QQitemZ170301182506QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a6bdd22a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
While it certainly isn't as clutter free solution as yours, it allowed me to the use of USB and 2 (instead of one) cig sockets and did not take up as much space as I thought it would in the arm rest. And, the converter plug is also nearly flush (does not stick out) while the fact that there wire from the plug to the converter allows you to position it in a way that is most clutter-free.

Last edited by dohturdima; 08-29-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Austin713
Ok, so i know there is a DIY in the DIY section about a much more involved way to do this here but i did not feel comfortable taking apart the whole dash and splicing into wires so i figured i would share with everyone the solution i came up with.

The Charger i had before was the main issue. it stuck out and up into the center console area and essentially took up all space. I stumbled accross this at the apple store from Belkin. i picked mine up off ebay for around 15 free shipping. the Charger sits flush against the charger and doesnt stick out at all! Problem number 1 solved.

Belkin Micro Charger

For the cables i did alot of research and unfortuantely all of us with the iPhone with firmware version 3.0 or higher are basically stuck with the OEM cables only offered by Apple if we want to be able to charge and listen/watch anything in our Gs at the same time. (Trust me i know, i bought some knockoff Composite cables that also had the USB for charging and the phone told me it wasnt compatable)

These are 49.99 if you order them from apple (OUCH) and they can be found here However i found them from a guy in cali off ebay selling them for $25 without the wall charger that comes in apples kit here

All in if you do it right you will have a setup that keeps your console fairly clutter free for less than the cost of the original robbery price Apple is charging for these things. These are both on the way now and the auction is only good for another 2 days so get them while there hot! I will try and post pics when i get it all in!
hmm I have the same apple composite cable (damn it's long) and it doesn't charge my iphone 3GS. I thought the Scosche adapter was needed

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
what scosche adapter are you talking about? they sell the belkin one in the Apple store so i figured it would be compatable. the cables are still in transit, so i will let you know as soon as i can get it all in there.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Austin713
what scosche adapter are you talking about? they sell the belkin one in the Apple store so i figured it would be compatable. the cables are still in transit, so i will let you know as soon as i can get it all in there.
Sorry for the confusion, I believe the scosche adapter (http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667) I was referring to is to address an issue with charging (08 + G's with its ipod integration)

I suspect the issue I'm experiencing is due to my cheap usb cigarette charger adapter. Yesterday I tested the cable with my USB a/c adapter and it charges my iphone 3GS.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i was using retractble chargers i got off ebay for all my electronics. one for ipod, one for usb charging which charges my phone and camera. i have since integrated my ipod and bought the integration cable with charging support and have it hooked to a 12v source. now i only carry the retractable usb for my phone when it begins to run low,rare>blackberry battery life FTW!

i have experienced the charging issue with newer gen ipods and iphones also.newer gen ipods and iphones have a different number of pins so you are forced to purchase the apple products. no fix for that yet.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Just got my cig lighter belkin micro charger - works great with my OEM apple composite cable (charges iPhone, plays audio/video through rca). It is nearly completely flush with cig lighter and unlike my previous bulky aftermarket cig -> usb converter works flawlessly.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Moderation-free
Just went and bought both, they work perfectly. Thanks bro, have been looking for a good solution for the 3G for a while!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Just went and bought both, they work perfectly. Thanks bro, have been looking for a good solution for the 3G for a while!
Good to hear! im pretty pleased with how much space the mini usb charger allows for. in the glove box.