Warning to iPhone 4 owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Warning to iPhone 4 owners

This sux that this is my first post, but I am going to use this as a warning so everyone is aware of the potential problem.

I just purchased a 2008 G35xS and yesterday I had my iPhone 4 connected with Bluetooth to the car and I attempted to use the OEM Ipod plug at the same time. (I was not using the phone at the time only connected via Bluetooth.)

Well the phone went crazy and basically shut down and restarted. I did not think much of it as the phone looked and acted fine.

However the phone began to heat up and was like 30 deg hotter than normal, and battery on the phone was draining like crazy.

I attempted to reboot the phone and turn it off. ect.

No change in the phone.

The battery would drain so fast that I had to keep it plugged in constantly at work and it took almost 3 1/2 hours to charge the phone completely.

I then took it into the Apple store to see what was going on, and the Apple guy told me the phone had been thru a power surge it was a software problem. He claimed that if I went home and restored the phone it would be fine.

I even asked him "what about the temp" and I mentioned how I was confused how a software glitch could make the hardware in the phone heat up so much. I asked "r u sure the hardware is not damaged?" He said no and then reset my battery. Whatever that means.

So I go home and restore my phone. (BTW this is my 3rd iPhone so I am pretty familiar with the ins-and-outs of a iPhone.)

No change in the battery usage...
No change in the temp of the hot phone....

Then last night the phone eventually dies because of the melting battery.
At the time i did not have a charger so I figure I will just plug it in when I get home.

I tried to plug it in and no response.. absolutely none. I try 2-3 different plugs/outlets/computer ect. No response.

I even left it in the charger all night. And the phone does not respond at all.

So today I have another appt at the apple store.

My guess is that it needs to be replaced.

Which means next month some time... Thank god I kept my 3G

I will post and update when I get one.

But iPhone 4 owners should be aware this can happen to u.

Let me know if anyone else has run into this...

I will keep u guys updated.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Something is wrong with your phone, not the car.. I've been using an iPhone 4 with my 08 g35s since launch day without a hitch, other than "this device does not support charging".
Good thing you have an appointment, but which area are you in? I happen to work for Apple and could get my geniuses to help you out if you're in the DFW area.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by eatsleepdrum
Something is wrong with your phone, not the car.. I've been using an iPhone 4 with my 08 g35s since launch day without a hitch, other than "this device does not support charging".
Good thing you have an appointment, but which area are you in? I happen to work for Apple and could get my geniuses to help you out if you're in the DFW area.
No hijack intended, but how does the iPhone4 work with the 08 G35S? I have been thinking about upgrading to the iPhone4, but have been waiting to hear if there are any issues.

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
happend to me when i had my loaner g37...got it replaced in 15 mins at my local apple store.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by eatsleepdrum
Well the phone was completely fried. I got a new one as well. I am going to pull out the nano and use that with the car instead of my only phone.

Thanks for the offer on the Apple side but I am in Denver. The store here fixed me up. Thankfully they had a replacement unit.

Glad to hear someone else has had this problem as well.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I have an 08 g35xs with an iphone 4. Works fine. I agree that it's your phone and not the car. Only thing is charging is not supported. iphone 4 works great with bluetooth, but no phonebook download support. Ipod interface works fine with the iphone 4 too.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Here is the final update. Its not the phone or the car.

The problem turned out to be the cord that the dealer initially gave me.

I tried to connect an old nano the day after my iphone 4 died, and the cord fried that thing too.

So the answer to my situation was a new cord. And no problems. I have the charger adapter and now I am using my old ipod mini.

BTW just so everyone is clear it appears that our system will work just fine with an iphone 4. You just need to have a cord that works properly.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Is there a new cord that charges the iphone 4 while allowing full functionality via the nav screen? Also does this cord allow phonebook download? If so, please let me know where to get the cord. Thanks in advance

Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CS130PS
Is there a new cord that charges the iphone 4 while allowing full functionality via the nav screen? Also does this cord allow phonebook download? If so, please let me know where to get the cord. Thanks in advance
I had my full phonebook (400+ entries) loaded in my car using my HTC (windows mobile) device. I never bothered to use it in the car because the car can't display all those entries.

Just like the HTC, the iPhone4 it is WAY easier to use the built in voice command on the phone itself. It will dial then connect to the car's speaker via blue tooth.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I just bought a 2008 G35S. The dealer in Dallas said that year did not come with an iPod cord. The dealer sells the cord for $40 and it does not charge. He said to go to radio shack to get a cord that charges at the same time. I am having a hard time finding this cord. Where can I get one??????? Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't get my Iphone 4 to stay connected to the cars bluetooth

Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ReedySpeedy
I just bought a 2008 G35S. The dealer in Dallas said that year did not come with an iPod cord. The dealer sells the cord for $40 and it does not charge. He said to go to radio shack to get a cord that charges at the same time. I am having a hard time finding this cord. Where can I get one??????? Thanks!!
The dealer is wrong. It ('08's and up) came with an integrated iPod adapter. It may have been part of the premium pkg, It's been so long I can't recall.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
The dealer is wrong. It ('08's and up) came with an integrated iPod adapter. It may have been part of the premium pkg, It's been so long I can't recall.
I would rather buy the all-in-one cord anyway that plays and charges. Any idea where I can buy this cord???? Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I would rather buy the all-in-one cord anyway that plays and charges. Any idea where I can buy this cord???? Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ReedySpeedy
I'm not positive but you may need 2 separate items (like the 07) unless you have some type of dedicated iPod port to plug into and then this may be what you are needing. Our 07 models just have a power socket and RCA jacks.

I used this little setup for a while. A Monster cable ($10) with an added 3.5mm plug too RCA ($5).

The downside to most of these setups is the feedback you get while the charger is plugged in. A ground loop isolator will help eliminate the humming a bit.

I installed the Nissan iPod unit which is far more integrated for controls and display.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warning to iPhone 4 owners