iPhone integration for a G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012 | 04:36 PM
|
Question iPhone integration for a G35

Hey all. New here. Just recently purchased an 07 G35 (yesterday in fact!). I've been doing a bunch of research before hand and realize currently my iPhone is unable to hook up to my G35. I know there are ways around it which I've read.

I just want to get a consensus and advice/recommendations on the best route to take on integrating my iPhone with my G. My main goal is to have my music play through my iPhone and also be able to use the steering wheel controls and nav controls when playing it.

As a side note: what CF card would you recommend using for the time being until I can get my iPhone worked out. Links are appreciated!

Thanks all for your time.

Old 04-20-2012 | 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Nate503
Hey all. New here. Just recently purchased an 07 G35 (yesterday in fact!). I've been doing a bunch of research before hand and realize currently my iPhone is unable to hook up to my G35. I know there are ways around it which I've read.

I just want to get a consensus and advice/recommendations on the best route to take on integrating my iPhone with my G. My main goal is to have my music play through my iPhone and also be able to use the steering wheel controls and nav controls when playing it.

As a side note: what CF card would you recommend using for the time being until I can get my iPhone worked out. Links are appreciated!

Thanks all for your time.
Is it a G35 sedan or coupe?

EDIT: my bad, didn't check the part of forum you posted in. Your G doesn't come with the ipod hookup?

Last edited by EbbAndBlow; 04-20-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2012 | 04:53 PM
|
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
Is it a G35 sedan or coupe?

EDIT: my bad, didn't check the part of forum you posted in. Your G doesn't come with the ipod hookup?
Sorry, should have mentioned that. It's a sedan.

Old 04-20-2012 | 05:00 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned that. It's a sedan.
It's all good. If you don't already have the iPod integration (It is in the center console) installed, you can still have it put in, but would probably be expensive. This would work through your steering wheel controls as well but it won't charge newer iPhones and iPods because Apple changes the power portion of the pinout every few gens so that people are kinda forced to buy new charges and acessories. But this can be fixed by purchasing a passthrough port for the older gen iPods and phones.

Old 04-20-2012 | 05:05 PM
|
It's all good. If you don't already have the iPod integration (It is in the center console) installed, you can still have it put in, but would probably be expensive. This would work through your steering wheel controls as well but it won't charge newer iPhones and iPods because Apple changes the power portion of the pinout every few gens so that people are kinda forced to buy new charges and acessories. But this can be fixed by purchasing a passthrough port for the older gen iPods and phones.
Unfortunately the the center console only contains an RCA connector. Any idea on what it takes to have that put in? I would probably have to have someone to do it for me.

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:13 PM
Unfortunately the the center console only contains an RCA connector. Any idea on what it takes to have that put in? I would probably have to have someone to do it for me.
Hmm, if you can, try and contact one of the Infiniti sales reps on the forums. They might be able to list out the components you need to make the integration happen. And most likely you would want to take it to either a car audio shop or bite the bullet and pay Infiniti the install it.

But if the OEM direction is too expensive (which most likely it is because it is OEM equipment + installation) you can still take your car to a car audio center or even Best Buy. They have iPod connections that they can have routed into your glove compartment and possibly the center console as well. For instance, my brother has a 2001 Acura TL which is definitely a different car, but the concept was the same, he took it to Best Buy and they added the aftermarket iPod integration unit that utilized his OEM steering wheel controls. And that ran him $300 total.

BUT keep in mind that if you go with the aftermarket route from Best Buy or another Car Audio shop, you won't be able to browse through music on your cars head unit as you would if the car came with the iPod integration from the factory. So you would have to select a playlist or artist from your iPhone and stick with skipping songs VIA steering wheel controls.

As for the flash card to store music on in the meantime. It doesn't really matter which brand you go with, just get one with enough space to fit your music library or at least some select playlists.

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:21 PM
|
Hmm, if you can, try and contact one of the Infiniti sales reps on the forums. They might be able to list out the components you need to make the integration happen. And most likely you would want to take it to either a car audio shop or bite the bullet and pay Infiniti the install it.

But if the OEM direction is too expensive (which most likely it is because it is OEM equipment + installation) you can still take your car to a car audio center or even Best Buy. They have iPod connections that they can have routed into your glove compartment and possibly the center console as well. For instance, my brother has a 2001 Acura TL which is definitely a different car, but the concept was the same, he took it to Best Buy and they added the aftermarket iPod integration unit that utilized his OEM steering wheel controls. And that ran him $300 total.

BUT keep in mind that if you go with the aftermarket route from Best Buy or another Car Audio shop, you won't be able to browse through music on your cars head unit as you would if the car came with the iPod integration from the factory. So you would have to select a playlist or artist from your iPhone and stick with skipping songs VIA steering wheel controls.

As for the flash card to store music on in the meantime. It doesn't really matter which brand you go with, just get one with enough space to fit your music library or at least some select playlists.
Awesome. This is some very helpful advice! Do you know the names of the Infiniti reps on these forums that I can contact?

I'd be curious to see how much it would run me if I did go with the OEM installation and not aftermarket.

I believe the car can only handle like 512 songs and 220 something folders? So I'd imagine that would be around 4GB? And what type of CF card does it have to be? Are there ones that are faster and more efficient than others? Any particular brands that people favor over others?

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:37 PM
Awesome. This is some very helpful advice! Do you know the names of the Infiniti reps on these forums that I can contact?

I'd be curious to see how much it would run me if I did go with the OEM installation and not aftermarket.

I believe the car can only handle like 512 songs and 220 something folders? So I'd imagine that would be around 4GB? And what type of CF card does it have to be? Are there ones that are faster and more efficient than others? Any particular brands that people favor over others?
One name I always see around the forums is Phil from Grubbs Infiniti. He might be able to price it out for you. At least what the parts cost. I'm not sure if he can quote you labor cost for Infiniti to do it though.
Phil Johnson
Grubbs Infiniti Internet Parts
866-444-0233

For the CF cards, if you want a quality name brand that I would always trust, go for Sandisk. They make good memory chips and I have used them for years. Although I am never really hesitant to buy other brands because I have never had issues with any others as far as reliability. As for speed, since it will just be used for storage, you don't need to get the fastest possible. The difference in speeds are milliseconds and would only be noticeable when transferring large amounts of data at once.

And as for the limit. Well after searching, it looks like it is a software limit for the titles it can recognize. Not sure why they put a limit but maybe they have a good reason lol. Who knows.

EDIT: little more info to add. I checked out the limitation. And looks like cars equipped with navigation can only play 512 songs from the flash drive. However cars not equipped with nav are somehow capable of up to 999 songs.

Last edited by EbbAndBlow; 04-20-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2012 | 06:56 PM
Completely flew over my head. But you can hook up your iPhone to those RCA inputs in your center console for music. Just go to Fry's electronics or Best Buy and get yourself an RCA>3.5mm cable ($20 at most).

All you need to do is connect the red and white cables to the RCA inputs and switch your input to Auxiliary mode on the head unit (I have one in my car just in case my iPod runs out of juice, then I plug in my Smartphone and keep playing)

Obviously you can't change songs with the steering wheel controls doing it this way but I believe there are wireless remotes you can get for the iPhone as well as inline remotes that you can use as a pass-through for the 3.5mm jack to the iPhone. This way would probably only cost you $100 at most depending on the cost of an Apple remote.

Old 04-20-2012 | 08:10 PM
|
Completely flew over my head. But you can hook up your iPhone to those RCA inputs in your center console for music. Just go to Fry's electronics or Best Buy and get yourself an RCA>3.5mm cable ($20 at most).

All you need to do is connect the red and white cables to the RCA inputs and switch your input to Auxiliary mode on the head unit (I have one in my car just in case my iPod runs out of juice, then I plug in my Smartphone and keep playing)

Obviously you can't change songs with the steering wheel controls doing it this way but I believe there are wireless remotes you can get for the iPhone as well as inline remotes that you can use as a pass-through for the 3.5mm jack to the iPhone. This way would probably only cost you $100 at most depending on the cost of an Apple remote.
Good to know. I'll actually go and do that right now.

By the way, would this work then in this car?
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-20-2012 | 08:18 PM
Good to know. I'll actually go and do that right now.

By the way, would this work then in this car? http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCFH-...4966907&sr=1-1
That would work just fine. I think the file system in the car can't do sub-folders though, so you probably would want to just have a few different folders as playlists with some fav songs in them.