Rearview camera help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rearview camera help

Hi,
I just bought a 2007 G35X. I love the car however the factory installed backup camera is not working. When I put the car in reverse the warning comes up but the screen is black. I tried adjusting the settings. I also tried a different camera though I couldn't actually install it, I just plugged it in the wiring harness and that didn't work either. I am now thinking that it could be the camera control unit but I don't want to just randomly start replacing parts. Does anyone know of things I could check? I couldn't find a fuse anywhere but I'm sure its not going to be that easy.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Well first things first, did you get it from a dealer? If so, let them fix it. Check the fuses in the panels anyway but it shouldn't be a fuse issue since the camera control unit powers the camera and the control unit appears to be running since you got the warning sign. I would agree that the control unit appears suspect. Otherwise there is a slight chance that it's the head unit, based on my review of the shop manual.

Just for my own curiosity, have you tried putting video in through the aux input yet? If that doesn't work i'd say it's a headunit issue for sure. Otherwise you may be able to run the diagnostics mode on the headunit and see if it reports anything back. There are some threads on here about how to do it but the steps from the shop manual are:

1. Start engine
2. Turn the audio system off
3. While pushing the "setting" button turn the volume control CW or CCW for 40 clicks or more (when diagnosis mode is entered a short beep will be heard) - shifting from current screen to previous screen is performed by pushing "back" button.

Use the rotary selector and buttons to pick which item in the menu you want.

Let us know what you find!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the help. I didn't buy the car from an Infiniti dealer, just a used car dealer and I knew this didn't work when I negotiated my price with them.

I haven't tried running video but I have ran the diagnostic program and it does show a camera error. Guess I should have pointed that out earlier but it really doesn't say anything more than a camera error. Sounds like the control unit may well be my problem but I will try to make sure the video feed is working too.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Well if you already tried a working camera and that's the error you got then I think it's safe to say the control unit is hosed. Maybe you can find a nearby G35'er who will let you borrow theirs to see if that's the issue. Definitely check the aux in though, to ensure it's not the head unit.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I went ahead and changed out the control unit and now the camera works perfectly. It was a pretty easy job and managed to get a used unit on Ebay for $140. Thanks for the help

Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
No prob! Glad it was easily fixed.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered a new control unit myself for a failing camera feed, how do i install the new one? I'm afraid to pull back the trunk lining because i want to do it without breaking the pins. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 PM
The camera control unit is on the right hand side of the trunk between the liner and the side panel of the car. The trunk liner is not all that hard to remove. You just have to take a small flat bladed screwdriver, there is a small indention on very top part of the pin that allows you to put the blade under the middle part of the pin and pry it up. Once you do that it comes right out and you can easily reinstall it. You shouldn't have to take the whole trunk liner out to access it. Once you get to it, you will see two wiring harnesses attached to it Just unscrew it, remove the wiring harnesses and install the new one. Its a reallly easy process.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35s
rear view camera

did the reverse lights stop working as well? the camera and reverse lights are not working on my car I changed the reverse switch on the transmission that didn't fix it