JDM A/C Controller + Custom ABS Radio Trim = Misery or Deliverance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM A/C Controller + Custom ABS Radio Trim = Misery or Deliverance?

I have perused, trolled and scoured the Internet and these forums, hoping to find someone who has tried what I'm contemplating. I can find nothing and hoping someone can provide some guidance and or input.

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade my factory stereo. I have to admit, for a POS Clarion factory unit, I think it sounds pretty freaking awesome...considering. However, I'm lusting over a particular headunit and the problem seems to be that the Metra and JDM do not make a double-DIN trim kit with A/C controls for the V36. Therefore, I've decided to take matters into my own hands, literally, and fabricate the trim using ABS plastic. But what I need to know is if the JDM A/C controls will plug into the factory harness for the 2007 G35 sedan? And will it operate as intended, if so? If not, the decision is made for me, unless someone knows of another viable option. I did contact Phil, at Grubbs Infiniti, who said he wasn't sure if this would work or not. I was hoping he might have something there he could try out for me, or had tried this in the past. But I didn't want to ask him to do it as I felt that was simply asking too much.

The short of it is: Has anyone fabricated a double-DIN trim for their 07\08 G35 sedan? And, if so, do you have any pics and or suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
If the plugs are different, why don't you use your existing plugs from your OEM harness and just cut/solder yourself a new one? I've been on this forum since 07, but I have not seen anyone attempted such task. However, I have seen people fitted their own DDin unit onto where the OEM screen goes. I have seen this on a V36 sedan, a coupe, and 370Z. They all use the same screen so I'm pretty sure this is entirely possible. Not sure if this this what you're looking for or if you just want a entirely new trim, but like you mentioned, you can go ahead and fab a custom piece and call it a day as well. Not a V36, but this may give you an idea...
https://g35driver.com/forums/fx-spot...custom-fx.html

The following users liked this post:
alicious (04-12-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!

That was an amazingly stellar job. I've never seen such detailed and professional trim work before. Every mod was a definite undertaking. I know many, many car install professionals who would have declined to tackle even one of those mods. Thanks for the link. That had a veritable plethora of priceless information and concepts.

More than once I've looked at the existing LCD and thought how I don't want two displays in the dash, so this is definitely an idea worth further contemplation...especially if the factory screen size and an aftermarket HU's dimensions line-up but I don't believe there is enough depth in the upper dash area of my V36. I'll need to pull the bezel ring and screen, then actually measure it out but I don't recall it being very deep.

The thing I keep reminding myself of is it's just a car. I will, at some point, be trading it in...if some idiot doesn't hit me first and insurance total it out (we have such inept drivers in our city!). I don't want to get carried away with a ridiculous number of complicated mods, only to turn around and find it's now to time to trade it in. The factory system doesn't sound bad...not great, but not bad, either. But still, I would definitely like to upgrade the HU with something of better quality with more features.