New Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how u making out?

Originally Posted by dsabldvt
I just got tires from Tire Rack for my 07' G35 Sport . $655 for all four delivered in one day. Went to Walmart and mounted and life time balanced for $56. Just make sure you mark the tire for outside and which go in the front and which in the rear on the right width rims. I bought the Kumho Ecsta Platinums. Great tire and very Quiet compared to OEM tires with 21000 miles.
My daughter has the same tires but were installed incorectly but luckily installer is replacing them for free. Discount tire wouldn't touch the price and you don't have to pay sales tax to Tire Rack.
Yo how u making out with those. i just got those put on today. paid $755 from Tirerack with road hazard and 2 day delivery. I didn't remind my tire shop to match the rim and tire sizes and they messed it up the 1st time. Took it back to them and waited another 2 hours for them to fix everything, wat a waste of time. lesson learned.

I hope these will be much better in wet or snow covered roads compared to the summer tires.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I just put 2 new rear tires on my 07 G35S from Discount Tire before Christmas for a trip to cold Missouri. I put on BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S to get some cold temp traction. They were $160 each then. Now web site shows $190 each. With replacement cert, tax, etc, pair was $422 total. Tread wear is rated at 400AA versus 140 for the factory Bridgestones. Put 1300 miles on them and they seem to be fine. DT guy said they were VG value for money. Goodrich designed and priced to go against Kumho Tires. Considered the Bridgestone and Michelin A/S tires but they were more $.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Many of you will regret buying cheap tires - I'm not a fan of downgrading a G35 Sport, especially, by replacing OEM tires that are classified as 'max performance summer' with something like 'ultra high performance all season' and claiming that they are the way to go. That's what you are talking about with BFG Super Sport and Eagle F1 A/S. That's like comparing apples to oranges. The same thing with the Kumho LX Platinum - it's 3 categories lower in the 'grand touring summer' section. These tires may seem better than your worn-out RE050s, but they are sorry next to brand-new RE050s or Pilot Sports or Eagle F1 GS-D3s and downgrade the car. That said...

Tire Rack is selling BFG KDWS in the 235/50/18 and 255/45/18 sizes for $338++ - that's not per pair, that's all four. You get what you pay for, but if you need an OK ultra high performance all-season tire for only the next 15,000 miles or so, you might want to take a look.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 AM
Go with Michelin PS2's!!!!!! If you want something just as good (IMO) get the OEM Potenza and go with a 255 in the back. It'll fit.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Cheap tires? Try Costco or TireRack.

Remember, you get what you pay for, and tires are the ONLY part of the car that connects it to the road.

Tires and Brakes are two things that should never be skimped on; they're the two biggest safety components in the car.

Putting cheap tires on the car is like putting 87 in your tank.
It's worse than putting 87 in your tank. Putting 87 in your tank (at worst) will kill your engine. Putting crappy tires on a car will kill you.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by neal.a.nelson
Many of you will regret buying cheap tires - I'm not a fan of downgrading a G35 Sport, especially, by replacing OEM tires that are classified as 'max performance summer' with something like 'ultra high performance all season' and claiming that they are the way to go. That's what you are talking about with BFG Super Sport and Eagle F1 A/S. That's like comparing apples to oranges. The same thing with the Kumho LX Platinum - it's 3 categories lower in the 'grand touring summer' section. These tires may seem better than your worn-out RE050s, but they are sorry next to brand-new RE050s or Pilot Sports or Eagle F1 GS-D3s and downgrade the car. That said...

Tire Rack is selling BFG KDWS in the 235/50/18 and 255/45/18 sizes for $338++ - that's not per pair, that's all four. You get what you pay for, but if you need an OK ultra high performance all-season tire for only the next 15,000 miles or so, you might want to take a look.
That's because you live in Texas. What about those people who live up north? I'm pretty sure replacing a max performance summer tire with a ultra high performance all season IS the way to go if you get a bit of snow and have low temperatures.

Sure, max performance summer tires are very safe when it's above 50 degrees out and not rain/ice/sleet. But seriously, how unsafe are ultra high performance all seasons? I suppose they're unsafe if you have to do an emergency manuvuer on the highway at 120mph because you were an idiot to be doing those speeds on a public road in the first place. Also, the G35 is a luxury sedan. It's not a sports car and because it's not it's probably not a good idea to be taking corners at speeds that would exceed any ultra high performance all season tire.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
the potenza re50a summer is completely useless to me when we have 5 months out of a year of cold weather. It took me 7 hrs to travel an hour of highway in the last snow storm we have in northern Joysey. People with the G35S on summer tires either have another car to drive in the snow or they call off from work. Its safer than risking your life or disrupting traffic.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The people up north made a concious decision to purchase a vehicle with OEM summer tires.

Those that do will usually swap out for snow tires for the winter.

Remember, All-Season tires are less resistant to hydroplaning; summer tires still outperform all season tires on merely wet or damp surfaces. Keep in mind, that the extreme end of summer tires cannot handle sub 40 degree temperatures (the OEM tire does not fall under that category).