Need some help - Summer Tires Suggestion for 08 m45 rims!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some help - Summer Tires Suggestion for 08 m45 rims!!!

Hey guys - So I manage to get a hold of 08 M45's as my summer rims... :P

Now I'll be needing to buy a set of summer tires to rock these rims with come April. Any suggestions? ( Prolly going with 245/40/19's )

I want excellent summer tires that have the most threadwear possible and does well in wet roads. I know sometimes.. the best performing tire may not have the best threadwear but maybe a happy medium? But I think im leaning more on threadwear over peformance.

It seems like the fan favourites lately are Yokohama Advan Sports and Michellin PS2's.. I would love to hear your commments on these and other tires.

Falkens FK-452's are in mind as well but I wonder how that compares to the Yoko's or the PS2's.. The value on the falkens are awesome! but if it fails in performance/threadwear.. I would prefer spending more dough *even though I dont truly want too * lol

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it!

Need some help - Summer Tires Suggestion for 08 m45 rims!!!-img00060-20081221-2109.jpgNeed some help - Summer Tires Suggestion for 08 m45 rims!!!-img00063-20081221-2110.jpgNeed some help - Summer Tires Suggestion for 08 m45 rims!!!-img00068-20081221-2120.jpgNeed some help - Summer Tires Suggestion for 08 m45 rims!!!-img00064-20081221-2111.jpg

Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Wes, I had 255 Michelin PS2s on my X and they were awesome, fantastic in wet and dry. Order through tirerack for the best deal on them.

Later I wanted sometng that would work as good but would also take me into the colder temps and possibly a bit of ice and snow. So, since I liked the PS2s so much I went with PS A/S tires, which are classed as a ultra high performance all season tire. They didn't let me down, they performed to my expectations, and I did get to try them in a bit of snow before I put my Blizzaks on this past year.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey Wayne - are you still running the PS2's on your summer rims? hows the threadwear like? Whats the projection km on those till they have to go?

The stock Eagle RS-A's only took me to 40,000km and they had to go already :S

Tirerack is still cheaper than 1010tires? in light of conversion from USD to CAD and shipping?

Thanks Wayne.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Wes, I have heard many good reports on the Falkens and they area lot cheaper than Michelins. They would also be worth a try.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I have heard good things as well but for some strange reason, my uncle, who use to race, was strongly against falkens :S He says they are all for show and no true performance and told me to go with Michellins...

I was already set on Falkens cuz of the awesome price and I have heard good things. At tenten tires, it cost about 250 CAD a piece. For the PS2's, they cost 400 bucks a piece! :S

Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Wes, the PS2s were on the PIAAs I bought from InTgr8r. He used them for a couple of years and I put another few thousand Kms on them. I don't think they would last near what you got on your OEMs. I think you have to sacrifice a bit of wear if you want great sticky traction.
I have friends (if you want I can PM you one of them to contact) that have purchased them through tirerack and it was the best deal they could get, even with shipping and exchange. Try them, they will quote you a price.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Allright. Thanks Wayne.

I guess maybe threadwear is the highest in my priority. The last thing I want is to spend 1,600 CAD on PS2's only to have to replace them shortly after :S

I drive a lot.. I already have 44,000km on my car! and I only had it for a yr and half!

Hmmmmm I wonder whats the best for threadwear....

Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Allright. Thanks Wayne.

I guess maybe threadwear is the highest in my priority. The last thing I want is to spend 1,600 CAD on PS2's only to have to replace them shortly after :S

I drive a lot.. I already have 44,000km on my car! and I only had it for a yr and half!

Hmmmmm I wonder whats the best for threadwear....
Wow you put on the K's. I don't think you would be happy with the PS2s themn if treadwear is the main concern. Falkens would be worth checking out.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Kuhmo?

Once my OEMs are done I plan on using Kuhmo Ecsta SPTs. Great for the money summer tire, it is what I used on my WRX STi when my OEM potenzas (RE040's or something) wore out and I did not notice any loss in traction plus they were quieter!!! and like 1/2 the price. I would consider comparing these at least, and tirerack has been the cheapest I have found for these, I already started looking even tho i only have 4k on my stockers, I wanna burn those puppies out.....

Gluck

Old 01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I bought the Falken FK452's in 245-40-19, even though I knew very little about they're longevity or performance.
They now have about 10K on them and they look like new.

They also have improved the handling of the car, but most anything would be improvement over the pathetic RS-A's.

I'm sure the PS2's are slightly better in performance. I'm not sure, however, if they would be better in longevity... the Falkens have been great!

When I'm ready, I'll be buying them again.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys - So I manage to get a hold of 08 M45's as my summer rims... :P

Now I'll be needing to buy a set of summer tires to rock these rims with come April. Any suggestions? ( Prolly going with 245/40/19's )

I want excellent summer tires that have the most threadwear possible and does well in wet roads. I know sometimes.. the best performing tire may not have the best threadwear but maybe a happy medium? But I think im leaning more on threadwear over peformance.

It seems like the fan favourites lately are Yokohama Advan Sports and Michellin PS2's.. I would love to hear your commments on these and other tires.

Falkens FK-452's are in mind as well but I wonder how that compares to the Yoko's or the PS2's.. The value on the falkens are awesome! but if it fails in performance/threadwear.. I would prefer spending more dough *even though I dont truly want too * lol

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it!

Attachment 100034Attachment 100035Attachment 100036Attachment 100037

The 3 are conflicting statements.

Sounds to me like you want a well performing all-around tire, not summer tires.

High performance summer tires wear quickly and have low treadwear

High treadwear tires have relatively low grip, wet or dry

Tires that do well in rain/puddles lack grip and have lower treadwear

Since these are your SECOND set of rims, I suggest you get a pure summer tire.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey guys - thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

kregg - I checked the Kumho tires.. seems like they are not running 19's.

Aesonvirus - Glad your enjoying your falkens. Most likely, I will go with falkens. Price is right and I only have heard good things. Do you know by any chance the percent of threadwear left on ur Falkens after 10k? Also, how would u describe your driving style?

Mike - Your right. Im asking for too much. I have to understand what I want and go for that. Seems like Falkens is the way to go. On the plus side, price is allright even if threadwear may not be the best (which is unclear right now). Michellins are very poor threadwear. I cant go for that.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wes:

Keep in mind that treadwear can't be compared between different manufacturers.

I still recommend you get the highest performance summer tire you can; you have a second set of rims anyways

Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Aesonvirus - Glad your enjoying your falkens. Most likely, I will go with falkens. Price is right and I only have heard good things. Do you know by any chance the percent of threadwear left on ur Falkens after 10k? Also, how would u describe your driving style?
I'm not sure of exact tread depth, but they looked new when I took them off. I can't measure cause they're all wrapped up for the winter.
As for my driving style... I call it spirited, but a few friends and co-workers would call it down right aggressive.
I'm safe, but I sure do have a lot of fun.

They're holding up much better than I would have expected, considering my driving habits.
Your new wheels looks great. Can't wait to see some pics in the spring!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Wes_888;3772393] ....kregg - I checked the Kumho tires.. seems like they are not running 19's.....

Tirerack has Kumho Ecsta SPTs 245/40/19s like your original post:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=24

$177 each

Mike, isnt the UTQG rating a means to compare treadwear between manufacturers? Yes they are performed by the tire manufacturer and confirmed by a 3rd party they hire, but perhaps they are skewed closely at least. Plus its all we got right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some help - Summer Tires Suggestion for 08 m45 rims!!!