Need Tire Help, Just got 07 G35 Sedan with sport pkg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Tire Help, Just got 07 G35 Sedan with sport pkg

I just got an '07 G35 sedan (5A) with sport package. The understand the tires are a staggered setup with:

Tires
Front - 225/50/18
Rear - 245/45/18

Rims
Front - 18x7.5
Rear - 18x8.5

To be able to rotate the tires and have longer tread life, Can I swap out the tires and rims and put 18x7.5 aftermarket on all four with equivalent sized tires and be OK or will that cause and issue?

Or If I have to keep the tires staggered, what kind of tread life should I expect out of an all-season tire and not being able to rotate the tires? What tire would you recommend for an all season?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to go with all 4 being the same size since your car is not AWD.

As for tire recommendation search is your friend.. I think you'll find varying opinions. If you don't, check out tirerack.com

Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
You should be able to go with all 4 being the same size since your car is not AWD.

As for tire recommendation search is your friend.. I think you'll find varying opinions. If you don't, check out tirerack.com
Doesn't matter if it's AWD. All AWD G35s have identical rims/tires at all 4 corners.

For an 07+ G35, regardless of whether it's AWD or RWD, it's perfectly safe to run identical tire/rim sizes at all 4 corners.

You can run some 18x8.5 rims w/ 245-45-18s or 19x8.5 w/ 245-40-19s or you can even go up to something like a 20x9.5 w/ 255-35-20s at all 4 corners.

I would definitely stay away from 18x7.5 b/c the car has so much power as it is, going narrower in the rear will just make the traction worse.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM
If you want to keep the stock size there is only one A/S tire available and that is the Goodyear F1 A/S's. They are terrible. I have 5k on mine and they are cupped like crazy. The alignment is perfect. Store manager told me the same thing happened to his F1's. I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's 235/50/18 front and 255/45/18's for the rear. This opens up a lot more tire choices.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
tire/wheel options

Originally Posted by Nirad
I just got an '07 G35 sedan (5A) with sport package. The understand the tires are a staggered setup with:

Tires
Front - 225/50/18
Rear - 245/45/18

Rims
Front - 18x7.5
Rear - 18x8.5

To be able to rotate the tires and have longer tread life, Can I swap out the tires and rims and put 18x7.5 aftermarket on all four with equivalent sized tires and be OK or will that cause and issue?

Or If I have to keep the tires staggered, what kind of tread life should I expect out of an all-season tire and not being able to rotate the tires? What tire would you recommend for an all season?

Thanks
My solution was to buy a set of G37 coupe wheels. The standard (non-sport) wheels are 18"x8". They fit perfectly. I now run 245/45R18 tires all around. There are plenty of options in this size, and I like the looks of the wheels better.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking about the same rims on my G35x.
Do you have pictures you can post or email?

Tom

Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Virus
If you want to keep the stock size there is only one A/S tire available and that is the Goodyear F1 A/S's. They are terrible. I have 5k on mine and they are cupped like crazy. The alignment is perfect. Store manager told me the same thing happened to his F1's. I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's 235/50/18 front and 255/45/18's for the rear. This opens up a lot more tire choices.
I have a sport with Goodyear F1 A/S staggered sizes to go with my sport rims. I've had them on for about 10K miles and there's no apparent cupping or road noise that usually goes along with cupping. i like the tires and they're lasting way longer than the stockers. Of course, they don't have the dry grip the stockers had either, but that can be fun too.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by jerminator
I have a sport with Goodyear F1 A/S staggered sizes to go with my sport rims. I've had them on for about 10K miles and there's no apparent cupping or road noise that usually goes along with cupping. i like the tires and they're lasting way longer than the stockers. Of course, they don't have the dry grip the stockers had either, but that can be fun too.
The cupping was indeed very strange especially since I just put them on last October and haven't really run them hard at all. My stock Bridgestones wore perfectly, but they needed replacement at 21k or so. I was disappointed in the handling of the F1's. They felt very squirmy and unsettling when cornering. They are phenominal in the rain!!!!!!!!!! Snow just blows, but I wouldn't expect them to be great. I hope I have better luck with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus's. It was a hard decision between those and the PS2's. With 4-5 months out of the year below 40 degrees, I decided to go with the A/S's.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Doesn't matter if it's AWD. All AWD G35s have identical rims/tires at all 4 corners.

For an 07+ G35, regardless of whether it's AWD or RWD, it's perfectly safe to run identical tire/rim sizes at all 4 corners.

You can run some 18x8.5 rims w/ 245-45-18s or 19x8.5 w/ 245-40-19s or you can even go up to something like a 20x9.5 w/ 255-35-20s at all 4 corners.

I would definitely stay away from 18x7.5 b/c the car has so much power as it is, going narrower in the rear will just make the traction worse.
I know the X has identical sizes at all 4 corners, I have an 08 X Sport.

It won't do any damage to components on the car if you run the same size at all 4 corners of a RWD G. However, what we don't know with absolute certainty is what's the effect with going to the same size at all 4 corners with respect to the ABS system. I don't know how it's tuned and probably most of the public doesn't know. For all we know, the Nissan may have a slightly different version of the ABS software to account for the different rotational speed given the different diameter of the tire/wheels at the front and rear, 27" versus 26.7".

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nirad, as has been posted, you're probably fine with non-staggered. My question is, you've picked out a fabulous car (just like mine), why would you want to mess with it? The world's finest cars come with staggered wheels, because they work, they expand the performance envelope! Now if you live in a northern climate, you would want an X to do the same thing. Putting all-season 7.5s on a RWD car is dumbing it down. My $.02

Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
I know the X has identical sizes at all 4 corners, I have an 08 X Sport.

It won't do any damage to components on the car if you run the same size at all 4 corners of a RWD G. However, what we don't know with absolute certainty is what's the effect with going to the same size at all 4 corners with respect to the ABS system. I don't know how it's tuned and probably most of the public doesn't know. For all we know, the Nissan may have a slightly different version of the ABS software to account for the different rotational speed given the different diameter of the tire/wheels at the front and rear, 27" versus 26.7".
The non-sport RWD comes with the same size rims/tires at all 4 corners (17x7.5 +45 rims w/ 225-55-17s). If you buy Infiniti's OEM 18" rim upgrade, they throw on the staggered G35S rims, but make no changes whatsoever to the ABS system or any other parts of the vehicle. Furthermore, the front and rear tires on a staggered 18" stock set up are virtually identical - 26.85" vs. 26.68" - probably the difference btw worn rear tires and less worn front tires.

I went from a stock staggered 18" set up to a same size at all 4 corners 19" set up. Furthermore, you'll find more than a few RWD G35 owners on here running some markedly different diameter tires front to rear (like those running stock 19" coupe rims/tires) and have experienced zero issues.

Bottom line is, it's 100% safe and will have no negative effects on your ABS system, transmission, or any other parts of your vehicle (other than making your car handle with a more neutral attitude which may be a bit more dangerous than the stock understeering set-up).

Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Virus
To All,

I am having the same issue with the Goodyear Eagle F1's cupping something fierce. I have about 16,000 miles on mine (I installed them last January), and they are getting really bad. It sounds like I am driving a locomotive!

The last time I took my car in for service (about 2-months ago), the dealer checked my tire wear and alignment. They stated that everything was OK, but oddly enough they didn't mention any uneven wear. Nevertheless, these tires have been getting progressively louder since about 5,000 miles after I installed them.

I am ready to replace them ASAP. I would like to put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and still maintain the staggered setup. Can any of you confirm that the 235/50-18 (front) and 255/45-18 will fit properly. I know I keep reading in the forum that some of you have tried this, but I just want to make sure before I spend another $1,000 for new tires.

Regards,

Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
235-50-18 and 255-45-18 will be absolutely fine on your stock 18" rims. Your speedo/odo may be off just a tad bit (would read slower than you are actually traveling) but it won't have any detrimental effect on your car. The tires would obviously look a bit beefier too.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
It will read LESS than 1 mph with that setup. I'm having my Pilot Sport A/S Plus's installed tomorrow. I cannot wait to get these F1's off the car!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by neal.a.nelson
Nirad, as has been posted, you're probably fine with non-staggered. My question is, you've picked out a fabulous car (just like mine), why would you want to mess with it? The world's finest cars come with staggered wheels, because they work, they expand the performance envelope! Now if you live in a northern climate, you would want an X to do the same thing. Putting all-season 7.5s on a RWD car is dumbing it down. My $.02
I'm currently running a non-staggered setup, 18x8.5" with 245/45r18 on all four corners. These cars are setup to be safe and the stock staggered setup has a tendancy to under steer. With the non-staggered setup, the car seems to be a little more neutral cornering, i.e. less under steer.

However, I didn't go to a non-staggered setup for handling, I'd did it so that I can rotate the tires. The stock OEM RE50A Bridgestones are good for 15k-20k if you drive like granny. The rears wear faster than the fronts. +the OEM tires are $800 a set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Tire Help, Just got 07 G35 Sedan with sport pkg