What is the point of all-season tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
IMO all season = no season
Egg Zachary

Though IMO you could get some good-performing A/S tires and use them as summers, then you have acceptable performance in those 'shoulder' seasons between summer and winter.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35FX
I classify All Seasons as Three Season Tires.
I run a performance All Season for Spring/Summer/Fall and dedicated winters for the Winter on my last 2 Infinitis.
This is exactly what I do. I use Toyo Proxes 4's for the Spring/Summer/Fall and Have a dedicated winter setup. However I think I am going to swap them out for a summer pair when those wear out.. or I get new wheels whichever comes first.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not all of us live in Canada, New England or other snowbelt areas where a set of snow tires is a near-must. I got by on crappy stock RS-As all just fine the past 2 winters in my area (NYC metro area, Long Island) and plan to go AS again this winter, this time with Eagle GTs. Hell, I spent 4 winters at school in Buffalo driving a POS Ford Taurus wagon on AS Bridgestones with decent thread; I had to adjust my driving habits (drive in higher gear, no sudden accelerations) on bad snow days but got through OK every time. Didn't know much about winter tires then...

Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the Yoko H4s's and live in Colorado and have no issues what so ever. We have had a crazy amount of black ice, some snow and -14 before wind chill. Every review says they are a joke in the winter, but i like them. I drive an X which helps, plus the G is so predicable I never feel unsafe.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snowtires losing lot in cold weather on dry and wet road. They are really good in snow but dry road and wet road some snowtires are horrible. Michellin X ice for example.

It all depends where you live. If you live a place where it snows a lot and stays on the ground the snow tires are the way to go. If it goes away quick or they clean the roads often or just doesn't snow much then all season is better. Especially like Nokian all season tires. They work really good.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35FX
I classify All Seasons as Three Season Tires.
I run a performance All Season for Spring/Summer/Fall and dedicated winters for the Winter on my last 2 Infinitis.
In cold, snowy or icy climates this is exactly right.

Unfortunately plenty or people around here don't accept this and won't spend the money for snows.

On a separate note why do so many people on these tire threads spell tire tread as thread?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
In cold, snowy or icy climates this is exactly right.

Unfortunately plenty or people around here don't accept this and won't spend the money for snows.

On a separate note why do so many people on these tire threads spell tire tread as thread?
Oh I hate that also Deane, thread (tread), breaks (brakes), bumber (bumper) are a few of my other hates.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Snowtires losing lot in cold weather on dry and wet road. They are really good in snow but dry road and wet road some snowtires are horrible. Michellin X ice for example.

It all depends where you live. If you live a place where it snows a lot and stays on the ground the snow tires are the way to go. If it goes away quick or they clean the roads often or just doesn't snow much then all season is better. Especially like Nokian all season tires. They work really good.
I live in Chicago and have long commute on highway. Haven't had much problem last two winters on A/S tires on my X. But occasionally, there was some slippage when turning slightly quickly. And i always try to be careful due to RWD bias of the X.
I have used Nokian before on my RWD J30 and they were very good even for RWD. I might use them again once these stock tires wear out, unless Michelin/Yoko can out perform them.
I agree that the best way would be winter tires but it's a lot of hassle to switch them, so that is why i prefer A/S thinking it would perform fine in winter. But this article from Infiniti dealer made it sound like A/S are not very good, then why did they stock A/S on their X?