Michelin Pilot A/S or Yokohama Envigor for G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin Pilot A/S or Yokohama Envigor for G35X

A broker has just purchased a G35X for me at Manheim Nashville, however it will need tires. I have researched here and on the tire sites and have narrowed the choice to these two tires. I have considered going to 18" or 19" wheels, but am having difficulty finding wheels I like that much better than the stock 17's. I do like the Nismo and Rays 19" 370Z wheels, but they are staggered, and it will be very difficult to find four fronts only. So I decided that it would be best to just buy the best A/S tires I could find to suit the nature of the AWD. I will be changing the rear sway bay to the RWD bar or aftermarket, and I want to retain as much handling as possible but yet utilize an all season tire.

A primary concern is noise. Car audio is a passion, and I plan to mod the Studio on Wheels system in the next few months, so I don't want to tolerate road noise. While I have read only a few complaints on noise with the Envigor I have read a few more about noise with the Michelins, especially as the tires wear. I have noticed this with several cars I have test driven with Michelins with a few miles on them. So I thought I would check here to see if anyone has had experience with both, or feels very strongly about either on the X. From what I have read both tire seem to have excellent handling, turn-in, and ride and the main difference seems to be maybe a little more noise with the Michelin, and a bout a 30% price differential. I don't mind paying extra for the Michelins, but am not seeing a big difference in the reviews.
Thanks for any last minute recommendations before I have to pull the trigger so I can take delivery.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also in the market for new tires for my 2007 g35x. I have the OEM 17" wheels and I am highly considering the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 tire. Tirerack ranked them #1, tied for first with the Yokohama tires you are considering. Every review I found does not mention road noise for the Sumitomo's, you might want to check them out, save yourself about $100 when you buy a set. As for the Michelin's vs the Yokohama's, I'd go with the Yokohama's.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot A/S from Tire Rack. I'll be getting them installed in the next week or so. I'm replacing a set of Bridgestone RE760, I was able to get 25K miles off of. I'm changing to Michelin A/S in hopes of getting longer tread life. IMO, the RE760 are a good grippy tire but they wear way too fast, just like the OEM RE50A. It'll be interesting to see how much noise these A/S make compared to my well worn summer tires.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Update

I installed a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my '07 G35S yesterday. I purchased them off of Tire Rack for $205 each with a $70 rebate. I have 18x8.5 wheels all the way around, so I decided to run a 255-45-R18 tire. I must say, I like this fitment much better than the OEM tire and wheel sizes.

The Michelin Pilots ride much smoother than the Bridgestones RE760 Sports I was on, maybe it's because the Pilots are an all season and Bridgestones were a summer performance tire. I was able to get about 26K out of the RE760 versus about 18K out of the OEM RE050A, not much better, despite the higher treadwear rating (340 vs 140). The Pilots are rated for 40K, if I get 30K, I'll be happy. I drive about 70% highway, 30% city, it's not like i'm flogging them.

I thought I might have a problem with noise, but I can't tell that the Pilots are any louder than the RE760 summer tires I was running. The sidewall seems a little softer and the turn in isn't as sharp as the RE760, but I must say i'm very pleased so far. My wife even commented that the ride felt smoother.

The Bridgestones wore so fast, the last few months I feared for my life everytime there was the slightest moisture on the road. With these Pilot all seasons, bring on the rain!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I got the pilots a few months ago and I have nothing but good things to say about them.. so far in all conditions they have been smooth and grip very well. I will let you know how they do in the snow in a few weeks!