G35(S) Sedan Brakes! S model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1

Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Not sure if i ever took any but i will try to snap some with my crappy phone tomorrow if the rain stops. They look nice apart form the standard rust that builds up on the area where the pad does not sweep on but comes off quite easy with a pad when washing.

They have anti rust black coating on the hub(inside and out) and all along the veins on the sides to avoid rust and that holds up pretty nicely but they have not applied any anti rust coating on the little surface of the rotor close to the hub that gets no pad action and understandably so i guess just to be on the safe side.

However, i recommend applying a thin anti rust rotor paint on the area that will not come in contact with the pad and will in no way be used during braking, i plan on doing this along with my calipers this summer!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I thought my description would be a bit hard to understand so this might help...

Its the area between those red lines(basically the lowest most drilled holes) that at least on my rotors(unless r1 changed anything) does not see any pad just like our stock rotors and thus gathers rust like any rotor that is not swept by the brake pad. This obviously has no affect on the braking and is a common issue on all rotor parts not dipped in anti-rust paint and the whole surface can not be painted obviously. Hope this helps explain what i mean.

Last edited by kool_yaar; 03-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that normal to have a gap where the pads don't touch the rotors? Seems useless to get sport rotors then... I'm guessing Sport calipers are bigger than Journey's, why not get sport calipers too?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update!

well I finally instaled all the parts.. any it went swimmingly, the most time consuming part is bleeding the brakes and making sure you dont have air in the system... The ssbl are an easy install with the right tools... and the pads and rotors were a direct fit, As far as brake performance well I would have to say its pretty darn great... must more feeling in the pedal then before and almost no give when its pressed hard... I will have pics soon!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by armoredmoonman
Is that normal to have a gap where the pads don't touch the rotors? Seems useless to get sport rotors then... I'm guessing Sport calipers are bigger than Journey's, why not get sport calipers too?
yes its normal, not sure if im understanding your question right but i already have sports calipers which is why i got the sports rotors, you cant use sports rotors with journey calipers, they wont fit.

The only reason the extra area exists is because thats how the OEM specs were but i believe the OEM rotors have that unused are painted while R1 left it as a the rotor's surface in case it was meant to be used. hope this helps clear things up.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I like my R1 Concepts rotors... Im rocking mis matched now and need to order the slotted/drilled for the front but was waiting until the weather got nicer. I dont need new brakes but dont like not matching.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
I thought my description would be a bit hard to understand so this might help...

Its the area between those red lines(basically the lowest most drilled holes) that at least on my rotors(unless r1 changed anything) does not see any pad just like our stock rotors and thus gathers rust like any rotor that is not swept by the brake pad. This obviously has no affect on the braking and is a common issue on all rotor parts not dipped in anti-rust paint and the whole surface can not be painted obviously. Hope this helps explain what i mean.
Has anyone tried painting that bottom half inch of the rotor so the rust doesn't show? Is that even a realistic option?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Yep, you can do that. In fact, back when i had PowerSlots, the entire rotor was coated, the first time you use the brakes, the pads scraped the contact areas away.

When i eventually replaced the PowerSlots i painted most of the new rotors and had the pads scrape away the excess.

If you do this, avoid painting too much of the contact areas (mask if you can), unlike zinc coating, paint has a tendency to gum up between pad/rotor and may affect your braking for a few miles.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
^whs, i had EBC rotors for a while as well that were completely coated with anti-rust/corrosion black coating and after a couple of days the area where the pad makes contact was automatically cleaned up and silver, i have painted parts of my rotors on prev cars with no issue, u should avoid getting into the pad sweep area like mike said but if u do it should come off easily at those high temps but is not safe.

There are more than a few on this forum who have painted the unswept area without any problems on their 1st gen G's search for pics.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ thanks guys. Anyone have a suggestion for what kind of anti-rust coating to get? Can someone suggest one that they're had success with (rust-oleum?)