[REVIEW] = M7 Japan Coilovers for v36 =

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up [REVIEW] = M7 Japan Coilovers for v36 =

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a set of M7 Japan coilovers for my 2008 sedan. I was previously on H&R sport springs paired with Tokico hp struts for a while. My previous set up was decent for daily driving but I wanted to drop my car tad bit more and have the damping adjustability so that I can firm up the damping/rebound. I always felt that my car was under-damped especially at high speeds or when cornering hard. As far as suspension mods, I have the following: M7 Japan Coilovers, Cusco Strut Bar, Hotchkis Sways, SPC Front Camber Arms, Eibach Rear Camber Arms w/ Toe Bolts.

I would like to thank Lou @ Amplified Motorsports for giving the opportunity to run these on my sedan. I know that these have not been officially released here in the States. I am actually the second person here in the States to run these on a V36 other than Lou himself. I know some of you guys are wondering about M7 Japan but they are not as widely known as other JDM company here in the States. However, they are growing fast especially in the circuit scene. They make many aftermarket parts for many imports including R35 GTR, and now the Z34/V36. Amplified Motorsports is an exclusive authorized dealer for their stuff, so hit up Lou if anyone is interested.

Front:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40794690@N08/7143340875/
Rear:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40794690@N08/7143340873/
Anyway, on to my review. I've had these installed about 3 weeks ago. First, the build quality on these are rock solid. I can tell that these were manufactured with performance and quality in mind. The damping controls have a 35 way adjustability which is unheard of. I have mine set at 18 clicks up front and 16 clicks in the rear. I've dialed in about 700-800 miles since the install. I used to tell myself, 'why do I need coilovers when I will most likely never track my car? When my car is just a daily driver to commute back and forth from work?' I always told myself that it's an over kill for someone who daily drives their car like myself. But let me tell you, I was SO wrong! The difference you feel with a set of quality coilovers is beyond night and day. The car felt so much more planted overall in all road conditions. It really changed the dynamics of my whole suspension feel and how it handles. The biggest difference was the way it corners at high speeds. I used to feel my car to lack so much lateral traction when cornering at high speeds. I honestly thought maybe it was the soft sidewall of my Hankook V12's but it definitely was not the tires. After the coilover install, I can literally hit any corner and on ramp at nearly twice the speed I was pushing my car with my previous set up. The car feels so much more in control and predictable. It really feels like your on rails without all the understeering. If I had to rate the difference in performance in numbers, I would have to say it's about 3 times better than how my car felt before. I know that coilovers aren't cheap but this was one of the best investments I've made for the long haul.

Unfortunately when you gain something, you usually have to lose something in return. After the coilover install, I have to admit you give up some ride quality. Your ride will be noticeably more harsh. You will feel every bump and imperfection on the road which you didn't feel before. I personally do not mind sacrificing a lil comfort for better performance. My theory is that you gotta give a little in order to gain something especially when modifying cars.

So overall, I am very happy with my decision on the M7 coilovers. I know that these are not cheap but IMO it's definitely worth the investment if you want to explore the world of fine tuning with your suspension. I still have to do some final adjusting before my final alignment. I will hitting up Lou again at Amplified. All the guys there are super friendly and will treat your car like it is one of their own. I will follow up this thread again once I do some final tuning with my suspension.

Here's the pic after the initial install. I am lowering the front another .5 inch soon. I will definitely get some proper photos once everything is finished and dialed in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40794690@N08/7094396611/
Thanks for viewing.

-Jason

Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Nice review, J! It's nice to have options for our 2nd gens these days. Did you install the rear adjustment extenders? It looks like yours are on the top, hidden once installed.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Nice review, J! It's nice to have options for our 2nd gens these days. Did you install the rear adjustment extenders? It looks like yours are on the top, hidden once installed.
Mike, I chose not to install the rear extenders b/c I was told they are prone to being pinched. I won't be playing with my damping or ride height much once I am dialed in, so shouldn't much of an issue for me.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh so this is what you got...thanks for selling me your old Tokico shock, I had it install already.

M7 is one of the top brands in Japan now a days...good choice...enjoy with good health

Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Crespo
Oh so this is what you got...thanks for selling me your old Tokico shock, I had it install already.

M7 is one of the top brands in Japan now a days...good choice...enjoy with good health
You're welcome. I appreciate the smooth transaction. How do you like the struts? They should be a decent upgrade over stock. I enjoyed them while I had them paired with my H&R sport springs.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
J, some useful information for other people if you can list it:

Minimum/maximum drop amounts?

Spring rates front/rear?

Range of adjustability? (# of clicks?)

Cost? (If you're able to list it)

That information might help others decide on purchasing this set

The following users liked this post:
JaE35 (05-18-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
J, some useful information for other people if you can list it:

Spring rates front/rear?

That information might help others decide on purchasing this set

I am currently at 25.25 inches from the ground to the fender. I still can go lower, so you can pretty much slam your ride with ease. Sorry but not sure on the exact range of adjustability.

Spring rates front/rear?

Spring rate is 10k up front and 8k in the rear.

35 clicks. I am dialed in at 18 clicks up front and 16 clicks in the rear.

You can PM me or contact Lou @ amplified motorsports

The following users liked this post:
soundmike (05-19-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Look like some very high quality coilovers, nice to hear the positive reviews. I assume these are another notch above K3s in price & performance?