automatic transmission question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
automatic transmission question

I have a G35S auto, and I noticed that when decelerating, the transmission seems to "jerk" when downshifting to 2nd and 1st gears? Also, when I accelerate hard sometimes, it jumps quickly from 2nd to 3rd? I'm confused and am not sure if this is normal. This is without using the DS mode.

Does anyone else have this experience?

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VtecVQ
I have a G35S auto, and I noticed that when decelerating, the transmission seems to "jerk" when downshifting to 2nd and 1st gears? Also, when I accelerate hard sometimes, it jumps quickly from 2nd to 3rd? I'm confused and am not sure if this is normal. This is without using the DS mode.

Does anyone else have this experience?

Thanks.
I've experienced the same with my AT, I think the surge during downshifting is normal. I think it's due to the amount of torque the engine has, it's just letting you know it's a sports car. In auto DS mode, the shifting is lot more aggresive and the downshift torque is lot more noticable. I haven't noticed the quick shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I will pay more attention during my morning drive to work.

Last edited by MojoKidd; 06-28-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:27 AM
I get it too and it's pretty annoying.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I THINK I get that too and...

I try not to use the DS mode too much because most of the time when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, it feels like it shifts wrong. The car KIND of jerks and makes this noise like if the gears weren't perfectly matched and had to rub on each other to match each other. The other gears don't make a sound or anything, just smooth shifts...

Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
alot of cars do this....my maxima did this too. My G isnt auto though i cant tell you if its the same way or not.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Wonder why these cars downshift into first when coming to a stop .... that would be awfully jerky I would think.

Personally I only use 1st to start from a stop - I don't downshift to lower than 2nd.
Maybe the auto knows something that the driver doesn't

Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I went on a ride along with a tech for these very issues. I was told that it is normal for this car. He also said that the reason the car downshifts is to take advantage of engine breaking, which I thought was odd for an automatic. Not sure if this is accurate.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does it all the time. It even does the same thing when I go up small hills at low speeds. I took it to the dealership and they told me there is nothing wrong with the car because they hooked it up to the computer and found nothing. IT IS VERY ANNOYING. And with hard acceleration, it does this weird jerk from second to 3rd also. I don't know if its a nissan thing, because my brothers v6 altima does not do that.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
some grounding wires can help cure this problem..

Old 04-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Can you explain how grounding wires can resolve these problems with shuddering and shifting?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
it wont help the shuddering but having read numerous reviews on Grounding wires, it seems like they help make the car shift better and smoother on the AT's search grounding kits for reviews.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for the grounding wires. I was having the same kinds of shifting problems, especially between 2nd and 3rd. Installed some grounding wires and the shifts have been a lot smoother.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by rrb_G
I went on a ride along with a tech for these very issues. I was told that it is normal for this car. He also said that the reason the car downshifts is to take advantage of engine breaking, which I thought was odd for an automatic. Not sure if this is accurate.
Mine does the same. It is for engine braking. I have driven an 08 Acura TL auto and it does the same exact thing. I actually use this to my advantage. If I am going at city speeds, or even highway speeds, and I am approaching a fairly steep hill, I tap the brakes for sec. The transmission downshifts and slows the car. No brakes needed when the guy in front of me is clearly riding his brakes the entire hill. I don't find this annoying. In DS mode it is MUCH more abrupt which has it's uses as well and can get annoying.

I find the last minute shift to first at VERY VERY slow speeds a little more annoying, but it doesn't always do it. If I stop fast without slamming the brakes it does it. If I come to a normal smooth stop I don't feel the downshift 90% of the time. I say it is all normal.

Now the shudder at 40mph, totally different story.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 PM
+1 for BlackBetty grounding wires to help smooth out the shifts

As for the shudder, get a tranny flush & the TSB done

Old 04-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by heynow
+1 for BlackBetty grounding wires to help smooth out the shifts

As for the shudder, get a tranny flush & the TSB done
+1

i did the same things and can confirm - they do help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: automatic transmission question