mileage and intakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mileage and intakes

i'm curious to know what mileage the intake folks are reporting after installation.

after seeing the dyno curve + wideband A/F from someone on here (dont remember) i notice that our cars might be running pretty rich from the factory- richer than needed for a non-turbocharged car. an intake may raise the A/F ratio and help mileage.

any data?

Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM
im waiting to see that also

Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
it's implied, but i also really want to see the new A/F plot.

i'd be willing to do this mod, if only to improve my gas mileage, which really shouldn't be as bad as it is for the displacement and the Cd of the car. otherwise, it's not even close to worth the $400 *for me*

Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
i dont know...my gas mileage didnt really change one bit...only thing that might have made it worse is that I redline it more to hear it.

One thing I will say is that regardless of my driving habit which doesnt help...the gas mileage in this car absolutly sucks lol.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by logik05se
One thing I will say is that regardless of my driving habit which doesnt help...the gas mileage in this car absolutly sucks lol.
agreed. it's my primary disappointment with the car. my dad's 550i gets the same damn mileage... wee todd did.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
yea thats my only complaint about this car i spend around $200-250 a month on gas!! and i dont drive fast all the time

Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by gama
yea thats my only complaint about this car i spend around $200-250 a month on gas!! and i dont drive fast all the time
lol yea me either...i mean i do have a heavy foot..but theres plenty of times i take it very easy.

sometimes ill put gas in and reset all the mileage calculations. Ill drive 2 traffic lights like an absolute grandma, like seriosly the kind of person you would beep at and it tells me im gettin 8.9 mpg lma0. If i drive easy back and forth to work a few times between the highway and streets my best best abosute top notch might have been 18 mpg..but i think it more like 17. something, and no joke thats driving like someone with a student driver sticker on my car.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 AM
nissan engines never was good on gas compared to other japanese auto makers. example: IS 350 lexus same HP 306 and 3.5 liter same weight, does 21 city 28 highway, mixed driving around average 24 mpg!!! i get like 18 mpg mixed driving,to get 22 mpg.. i have to drive 50 mph in top gear.. for 20 minuts.. its ridiculous!!! infiniti claims 19 city 26 highway for g35, but its like..15 city 22 highway!!! when im on top gear 60 mph my rpms are at 2400. most v6 engines are at 2000 rpm...that means its reving high..more gas its using. infiniti should work on this problem with fuel !!!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 AM
more revs does *not* necessarily mean more fuel. it can even mean less.

the reason our cars have poor mileage is the tuning. they seem to run on the rich side. which is healthier for the engine in the long run anyway.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 AM
fairly high

I have a weaponR intake. At first, I loved the sound, but now, all the VQ's seem quite alike to my ears.

Discerning the difference is easy, but my tastes do not seem as picky.

However, after a few oil changes later (about 5k miles after I installed the intake), I have been achieving 21.8-22.7 MPG. I suppose it was because the OBComputer needed to get used to it.

Anyone else have this luck with new intakes?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altersys
agreed. it's my primary disappointment with the car. my dad's 550i gets the same damn mileage... wee todd did.
didn't you knew about the mileage before buying the car. if you can afford this sport luxury car, stop complaining about the mileage.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altersys
more revs does *not* necessarily mean more fuel. it can even mean less.
since when more revs resulted in less fuel consumption. can you please explain.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 PM
what a ridiculous thing to say.

if the mileage issue was within the parameters of other luxury cars of this weight, engine displacement, and Cd, then I wouldn't complain about it.

when a car that weighs maybe 500 pounds more, has two more cylinders, and 55 more HP and gobs more torque gets the same mileage, that's an issue that should be resolved.

yes, i knew about the mileage before i bought the car. it was a conscious decision and i'm okay with it.

but i live in a free nation and a free state of mind, so mind your business when i make a reasonable statement about my complaints regarding the vehicle. (i've got more, want the list? )

unlike some, i don't delude myself and try to believe that is perfect about the products that i choose. i've got more self-esteem than that, and i set the bar higher.

now either go mind your business, or learn to be more polite when you are trying to understand where someone else is coming from.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by MY07G35SPN
since when more revs resulted in less fuel consumption. can you please explain.
sure.

fuel consumption is a function of revs AND throttle position, as well as induction volume (amount of air being injested- but that's really the output of the first two).

you want to be in a gear and throttle position that provides as much torque as needed to overcome rolling resistance and inertia. have you ever noticed how a car lugs if the revs are too low, and that in order to keep it going you have to mash the throttle? well, you're wasting gas because your induction volume is way up, but the output is lacking. in fact, this is bad for your rod bearings because the low oil pressure combined with the high combustion forces can cause metal to metal contact. downshifting will raise the revs, and allow you to lift the throttle a little bit. if you are in your "powerband" you will probably immediately lower, not raise your fuel consumption.

obviously, at some point, this formula turns around and fuel consumption goes back up. there's why there's a power BAND and not a "minimum rpm"

Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
i will go ahead and report bad mileage due to the fact that i drive faster with an intake. Im sure that if i drove "normal" (which is very hard to do in a G35) i would yield better gas mileage. Anyways our cars dont get great gas mileage as it is so whatever ill continue to get **** ****** at the gas pump

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: mileage and intakes