Transmission Whistle Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Whistle Noise

I have a 07 G35 Sedan 6MT and recently had the Slave Cylinder replaced. Now in the mornings when the car has been sitting for 8 or more hours the car makes a whistling noise for about 15 minutes. I believe it is coming from the transmission or clutch. The whistle sounds like a wind noise whistle. I know it can't be something with the door or sunroof seals as the noise goes away once the car is fully warmed up. I just don't want the noise to turn into something serious as the car only has 1000 miles on it. Is this something I need to worry about?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
does the sound happen when ur sitting still, and the clutch is out?
my tranny has a little wher to it when im moving and it is cold. It could very well be that the oil in the trany case needs to warm up to operation temp.
when the oil is cold it is thicker then normal.

how does it feel going in and out of gears?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 AM
All gear changes are fine. The noise does not happen when the car is sitting still and the clutch is out, only when the car is moving

Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
this is a known issue on the forum that is going around on various threads for 1G and 2G 6MT's. we should get a sticky somewhere and nail this down. apparently there are some people on this forum that have had the gearbox replaced under warranty, and others (myself included) that have been told by the dealer that this is normal. i think we all know that it is not normal, and we need a TSB to be issued. of course Infiniti will resist this as much as possible, but if we can at least get the source of the problem identified, we'll have something to go on.

it does sound like the issue is directly related to the temperature of the tranny oil, but it definitely sounds bad, and i imagine over time it will put undue wear on the gears. shifting is generally fine, although occasionally when the car is warming up it is very hard to get into first gear. i've driven stick all my life, and i know these symptoms point to a problem, as opposed to normal operations. the other problem is we all paid good money for high quality machines, and this should be fixed on Infiniti's dime, not ours. looks like we need to get a sticky in place and collect info from those who've had it covered and apply some pressure to the issue.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Almost a year to the day later. My whole transmission is being replaced in my car! Thank you Infiniti of Orlando for finding the problem. They said it was an internal bearing failure causing the noise. Their service department is great!