Exhaust resonance - custom magnaflow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It doesn't sound bad in the video at all. Especially for an aftermarket exhaust.

But, honestly, that's the one reason I won't modify the exhaust on this car, I don't like how v6 drone sounds. I had a nice sounding exhaust (for a v6) on a 98 Grand Prix I had. It sounded a little deeper that what that video sounded like. But, I regretted buying the exhaust. It was kinda funny, my girlfriend at the time (now wife) loved the sound. It reminded her of a boat, and put her to sleep on long car rides.

On the other hand, I love how a nice mellow v8 exhaust sounds when you hear it in the car.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if a predesigned axleback setup would sound better inside the car, like the Tanabe Medallion axleback or the HKS Hi-Power axleback.

Also, wanted to get a Berk HFC. Would that raise or lower the pitch of the exhaust. It's the deep deep sounds reverberating that are causing the drone. I thought the cats might raise the pitch and allow the mufflers to do they're job better.

EDIT: And by the way, uploaded another interior vid. This is sitting still, in Park, driver's door open, revving the car.

Last edited by sredish; 07-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
It still sounds quiet to me.

One way to decrease drone inside the car (while keeping the exhaust sounding good outside) is dynomat. It'll also cut down on road noise.

I don't think drone is necessarily related to pitch. From my experience, it's all muffler design.

For example, dynomax mufflers are actually deeper in pitch than flowmasters (on my last car). Outside the car, the noise is about equal in volume. Inside the car, the dynomax is significantly quieter. Due to the fiberglass and straight through design, all the noise goes out the tail pipe. Flowmaster has no fiberglass, and isn't straight through, so the noise goes everywhere.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
It still sounds quiet to me.

One way to decrease drone inside the car (while keeping the exhaust sounding good outside) is dynomat. It'll also cut down on road noise.

I don't think drone is necessarily related to pitch. From my experience, it's all muffler design.

For example, dynomax mufflers are actually deeper in pitch than flowmasters (on my last car). Outside the car, the noise is about equal in volume. Inside the car, the dynomax is significantly quieter. Due to the fiberglass and straight through design, all the noise goes out the tail pipe. Flowmaster has no fiberglass, and isn't straight through, so the noise goes everywhere.
Flowmasters are horrible inside the car. I think my first step to quiet it a little is to use a pair of Dynomax bullets.... I'm starting to get used to it and in the higher rpms, I love the racey throttle sound as I'm passing and getting on it.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It don't sound too bad.. i've heard worse.. any pics on your setup? Im surprised they were able to use the 14829's.......

Old 07-10-2008, 09:19 PM
only one right now is the back of the car. its in the 'tint' thread in the pictures section. I'm on my phone so can't upload it right now.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 AM
took a couple more vids and compiled them all in one thread located here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/232307-custom-magnaflow-exhaust-vids.html#post3214582

also. as far as the drone goes, I'm thinking about pull the magnaflow resonator and getting 2 individual resonators and putting in an H pipe before the resonators. was thinking last night that the resonator is awfully small and to have two pipes running through it in an X shape, there's not a lot of room for packing in there. I think 2 resonators will probably help out.

any thoughts? i want to add some Berk HFCs but would like to get this all lined out first.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Mine idea is to get BERK HFC first thing becos the HFC will totally change
almost everything that you normally change.You may not need to put an extra money for the aftermarket exhaust.Mostly everyone first mods for performance was
- Aftermkt Intake like Stillen or Injen
- Stillen Exhause or FI
Not so many people change HFC before anything.
Mine has Berk HFC's installed/No aftermkt intake/No Afternkt Exhaust
The Sound from Stock has already meet my needed! Since HFC has increased
the stock tone and DEEPER.
I like it alot.
will post VDO later today.
It's all depend how you like it.However it would be the best if you can combine BERK HFC w/ either Stillen or FI Exhaust.
Mine had enough with BERK HFC's

BTW you should get BERK before doing the H-PIPE cost the H-Pipe can be adjustment but the BERK HFC. GL!!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by earth0
Mine idea is to get BERK HFC first thing becos the HFC will totally change
almost everything that you normally change.You may not need to put an extra money for the aftermarket exhaust.Mostly everyone first mods for performance was
- Aftermkt Intake like Stillen or Injen
- Stillen Exhause or FI
Not so many people change HFC before anything.
Mine has Berk HFC's installed/No aftermkt intake/No Afternkt Exhaust
The Sound from Stock has already meet my needed! Since HFC has increased
the stock tone and DEEPER.
I like it alot.
will post VDO later today.
It's all depend how you like it.However it would be the best if you can combine BERK HFC w/ either Stillen or FI Exhaust.
Mine had enough with BERK HFC's

BTW you should get BERK before doing the H-PIPE cost the H-Pipe can be adjustment but the BERK HFC. GL!!
FYI, I talked to Berk about their HFCs, and the guy told me replacing only the HFC will do little for performance (it may help with sound, I didn't ask him that?). He said you're basically increasing flow, but then restricting it again behind the cat with the stock exhaust.

I decided not to do it because I like the stock sound.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
FYI, I talked to Berk about their HFCs, and the guy told me replacing only the HFC will do little for performance (it may help with sound, I didn't ask him that?). He said you're basically increasing flow, but then restricting it again behind the cat with the stock exhaust.
I would believe that if you did the Berk or any HFC to the stock exhaust, it's just backing up again at the y pipe. I can understand leaving stock mufflers, but if performance is the point, then along with HFCs, I'd say an elimination of the stock Y section would be in order, and you can do a dual with an H into the stock resonators and exhaust, which would substantially increase flow, which is what I probably should've done.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
If you don't like how loud it is inside your car already, and don't like the drone..... definitely DO NOT buy HFC's.

They're only going to make the exhaust louder with more drone.

When it comes to exhaust, you're only talking a few hp here or there, so go with what sounds good first. Power is just a bonus.

I've never heard anyone complain about an exhaust setup because they left a couple HP on the table. I definitely hear complaints all the time if it doesn't sound right though.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Well, wife had the car all day today and towards the end of the day was sending me messages like:

"I have a crush on your car" and "I'm smitten"...

So, I'm guessing the drone wasn't too much of a problem and overall, she enjoyed it. So, I'm not all that worried at this point. She loves the wheels I put on and is happy with it all.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 AM
After looking at the fast intentions exhaust...I noticed they use a lot of magnaflow parts...so my question is, what's the difference between the custom magnaflow setups some of you have done for a fraction of the price compared to the most expensive exhaust system in our market, the FI?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I kinda modeled my setup off the prototype FI system terrycs showed us, to be honest with you. Same 2.25" tubing, same resonator and same mufflers as his prototype FI. In the production version, FI has gone to Sebring mufflers in lieu of the Magnaflows, which the Sebrings are a tad quieter. Also, the FI is a mandrel bent system.

So, to answer your question, the production FI version differs from my custom system by using:

*Mandrel bent tubing
and
*Sebring mufflers

The FI system is around $1300 and I have roughly $450 in mine and I really doubt the non-mandrel bends are going to hurt me that bad. This system is so much better flowing by eliminating the stock Y pipe, which are nearly 80* bends, and putting in a magnaflow x crossover setup. My thoughts were to buy an HFC with the savings but I'm scared of adding more drone in. The drone isn't all that bad tho.

Last edited by sredish; 07-14-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by sredish
I kinda modeled my setup off the prototype FI system terrycs showed us, to be honest with you. Same 2.25" tubing, same resonator and same mufflers as his prototype FI. In the production version, FI has gone to Sebring mufflers in lieu of the Magnaflows, which the Sebrings are a tad quieter. Also, the FI is a mandrel bent system.

So, to answer your question, the production FI version differs from my custom system by using:

*Mandrel bent tubing
and
*Sebring mufflers

The FI system is around $1300 and I have roughly $450 in mine and I really doubt the non-mandrel bends are going to hurt me that bad. This system is so much better flowing by eliminating the stock Y pipe, which are nearly 80* bends, and putting in a magnaflow x crossover setup. My thoughts were to buy an HFC with the savings but I'm scared of adding more drone in. The drone isn't all that bad tho.
Wow...I don't think mandrel bent tubing and sebring mufflers can justify the 1000 dollar difference after shipping. thanks a bunch man, you definitely helped make my exhaust decision a lot easier

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust resonance - custom magnaflow