Borla Exhaust Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by markk132
are headers and hfc the same thing? i feel like people interchange those 2 words on the forum, but i've never heard anyone say HFC in my life, people always say intake, exhaust, headers...so what are headers? and are any made for our cars?
headers and hfc are not the same thing. hfc stands for high flow catalytic converters. headers are the exhaust manifolds...and no they do not make any yet for our car...i think stillen is in the works though

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by markk132
are headers and hfc the same thing? i feel like people interchange those 2 words on the forum, but i've never heard anyone say HFC in my life, people always say intake, exhaust, headers...so what are headers? and are any made for our cars?
Headers = first part of exhaust, coming out of the manifolds
HFC = High Flow Cats, replacement for your catalytic converters
Exhaust = usually refers to catback (from the cats to the back of the car...), but could mean full exhaust

Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to Comment about claiming huge numbers stuff... I did this dyno to help and possibley prove them wrong... and post the info to our myg37 members... (they had claimed +21hp) But... I did have great gains... and shared that with everyone just to help out... not to make people buy or anything...

If its like the Coupe... your sedan will come to life.... has anyone installed this yet on a Sedan? Id love to hear it....

Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ not yet but trying my best to find one around $1250 and get this done, checking out ur vids and dynos is really making me want to do this now....

Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
yeah i would like to do this too...

Old 08-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If polishing is important, you can polish and re-polish your Borla cat-back to a mirror-like shine over and over again. There are polishing houses all over the country that can do this for you.

The reason this is possible with Borla systems is because we use austenitic stainless steel which is the most durable type available but is also the most expensive.

Most of the cat-backs under $1500 use ferretic stainless steel which is cheap but not durable.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM
^thanks for your reply, its not that important to me but if its cheap, it might be something that i would consider just for the mufflers alone as they can bee seen from the side profile.

However i first need find this bad boy around my price range.... anyway you can help us with a group buy david?

Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
^ And also welcome to the Forums David.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by david borla
The reason this is possible with Borla systems is because we use austenitic stainless steel which is the most durable type available but is also the most expensive.
This is true. I think only the Fast Intentions is all T-304 and the pricing for that is about the same with shipping (excluding the rollout price)--about $1350 for me.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
High quality stainless is definitely more expensive. There are lots of grades of stainless (and most of them rust).

But, other than your exhaust tips and what you can see from the back of the car.... who cares if it has surface rust? Your factory exhaust does.

People spend big bucks on stainless headers. I don't understand that either. They're going to get dirty no matter what.

Personally, I buy exhaust for sound first, then power, then looks. And price is definitely a factor. Stainless is never in my budget.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Ferritic stainless steels are highly corrosion-resistant, but less durable than austenitic grades."

Feretic has more chromium.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
Thanks for the link. I just ordered one. Hope the retailer is legit. I've had good experiences with Borla--I guess that counts for something.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 AM
^ You already ordered!! while i was sure to be the first one anyways i guess its my bad for being lazy and waiting for a GB thats not gonna happen.

The seller is legit as people over at myG37 have gotten it from the same seller so you should be ok! Once you get it do post pics and vids if you can as i want to see how they sound on the sedan with the extra resonators as compared to the coupes.

I should be orderin mine on saturday when i get my check

Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 PM
so this is the main difference then?

H Pipe: BORLA

An H pipe helps equalize the exhaust pressures between the two banks of tubing as the hot gases and sound waves travel down the tubing. This, in effect, relieves the exhaust pressures as they travel through the H tubing, generally creating an increase in torque. This will also give an added sound reduction when the sound waves combine inside the H tubing.

X Pipe: FAST INTENTIONS

An X pipe will actually help to scavenge exhaust pulses from one bank as the opposite exhaust pulse passes through the X, thus creating a vacuum effect at the valve, resulting in a cleaner burn in the cylinder. This generally equals added torque and, like the H pipe, a reduction in sound as the sound waves combine in the X pipe.

Y Pipe: STILLEN

The Y pipe, which works well on several applications, utilizes a dual exhaust off the manifolds/ headers and runs back a specified distance, then the two pipes enter the Y pipe and become one larger pipe. This Y helps each bank to scavenge the other as the pulses travel down through the Y and are joined together into the single common tubing. This creates a vacuum in the exhaust valve, resulting in a cleaner burn in the cylinder. A sound reduction is also achieved as the sound waves combine in the Y pipe.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X Pipe -

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Questions...