Grounding Kits and Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grounding Kits and Warranty

Hey Guys - anyone know if the installation of grounding kits will void warranty?

Has anyone asked the stealership about this yet? Thanks.

Im hearing some prety good gains from 5AT folks; in terms of faster shift response and what nots.

Thanks

Wes

Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
whatever modification you do has to be proven to be the cause of a warranty voiding complication, grounding wires dont really pose too much of a threat, you should be aight

Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
I understand that. I just dont want to be in a dispute if anything ever does go wrong. I want it to be black and white.

I like to be certain when I go about making changes

Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Ok, in this case there is no black and white, even BlackBetty (grounding gear vendor over at g37) has a disclaimer for if these wires void warranty.

Its all up to the dealer and there stubborness and attitude, for example Riverside wont mind a stillen exhaust, intake or these grounding wires, but another dealer close to them might....

I hope you get the rift, but bottom line is that ANYTHING you do to the mechanical or electrical part of the car CAN void your warranty if the dealer really wants to prove it did...

In this case i would not think they would throw a fit over extra grounding wires especially if the blend into the engine bay...

Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 AM
thx for the input guys. I appreciate it.

I'll keep these in mind. I'll call my stealership and see what they say as well and let ppl know what answer I get.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please don't bother with that snake oil

if you really must, just get some 4gauge and some terminals.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The simple answer to your question is, no, grounding wires in and of themselves do not void your warranty. However, if you have any electrical issues in your car many dealerships will probably try to argue that the grounding wires are the cause of your problems and not want to fix an electrical issue that is totally unrelated. Of course almost everyone who mods cars knows that the dealership has the burden to show that the non OEM modification is the specific or contributing cause to any failure befire they can deny a claim.

Worst case scenario, spend 20 minutes and take them off if you are taking your car in for an electronic related issue. My dealership service writer actually thought they were awesome.

Here's the disclaimer I have on mine over on myg37. It's something of a CYA for me. Primarily in case they are not properly installed or the buyer does something stupid.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
DISCLAIMER: This set of wires is purchased and used solely at your own risk. I will not be held responsible or liable for any harm or damage that comes to your car or to you. What you are installing is a set of wires, nothing more. Take every reasonable precaution for safety when installing. Use good judgment and common sense. Installation of the Betty's Garage Grounding Wires may void your factory warranty (like most every aftermarket modification) on electrical components in your car. Know this and be fully aware before you purchase or install.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
dude. if you have some kind of problem which leads you to take your car to a dealer, just take them off and bring the car in...i hate to say it, but ive done it more than once.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:04 AM
^+1 some dealerships just act stupid regardless and try to blame your modifications for problems, so that they can avoid work or make some good money, while others are cool and understanding.

So, dont take chances take the wires off before you go in and you should be fine, 15mins TOP!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i agree its not going to void your warranty completely but if something goes wrong with the electrical they can blame you for it.
heres my review of the grounding kit that i have similar to stillens thats a lil better.

https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07...ing-wires.html

Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Thx for the input guys.

I guess the better question now is, can the grounding wires "theoretically" cause some sort of electrical issues?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 PM
^^, i don't think it would...they're just grounding points...it would be different if there were electrical components being grounded in the wrong points of a circuit, then there would be a voltage drop...but we're not working with anything like that so i don't think this should cause a problem...

Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM
My problem is, I dont understand any of this from a technical/electrical standpoint. I still dont understand how it improves performance. "grounding" points? grounding wires? LOL

Im simply going with the positive feedback ppl are saying about it. I mean, I dont doubt them by any means, I just dont understand how it all works.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i had mine for a couple months now. and others who got my kits also can chime in, nothing but positive results from any grounding wires, some do a little more than others.
my guess is, it just lets the electric current/energy that the car has inside it battery and engine w.e else im not getting technical because i have no facts and it just lets it all run a lot smoother and free it out the chasis or whateter.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
My first experience with the importance of a good grounding system was in my first car where the battery had trouble starting up and the alternator was not able to output enough(so i thought) to manage the custom stereo+bass setup along with all the lighting(good old, high school days!). Even while driving i could sometimes feel a surge of power, i thought it was the alternator so changed it out along with the volatage regulator at still had the same problems...

Then my mechanic added some grounding wires at various points and one very short high gauge wire from the batteries negative to the closet ground point on the chasis, and i felt a difference of day and night!! The shifting was Much improved along with the sound and bass and no more surging!

Obviously on this car the difference wont be anywhere near as noticable as my old car as the G as is, is nicely grounded, however upon looking at BB's kit he does add a few good point with some nice hefty wires which should help on stereo sound, electronic equip. and AT shifiting along with the throttle response on the MT's as well... So id definitley get the v2 he offers, SOON!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Grounding Kits and Warranty