Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
The Audi video definitely sounds like injectors. The FSI engines always seem to have relatively loud ticking noises.

If the noise you're hearing is legit and not just the injectors it could be a stuck hydraulic valve lifter.
What's weird is that the ticking sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine, not the back. Usually the fuel injectors are from the rear part of the engine right? The sound is louder on the driver's side.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My engine has an ever so slight ticking sound that is audible when the A/C is off. So basically you can hear it for about a second when turning on the car before the A/C kicks in. I also took it to the dealer and they said it was a normal sound and he recommended that I start the car with the windows up so I won't hear it anymore.
I've been meaning to record the sound with my studio mic and posting it here, but for reference it does sound a little like the Audi engine. Almost like the timing chain is clicking on something or maybe a fuel injector.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
What's weird is that the ticking sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine, not the back. Usually the fuel injectors are from the rear part of the engine right? The sound is louder on the driver's side.
The injectors go across the top of the engine on both banks.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
The injectors go across the top of the engine on both banks.
Maybe the issue is the fuel injectors. I will take a look at this later this weekend. My car is parked in a parking garage and I commute using the commuter rail. I'm really curious if it's the valve or the fuel injector. I will bring my screwdriver stethoscope to check it out and let you guys know. I'll also see if I can upload the sound of the ticking noise.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
my engine does it too, gonna go in for my 30k and will ask bout it

Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem and also only from the driver side started happening when my warranty was up

Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Okay, I listened to the source of my ticking noise. I located the tick to the back of the engine in the passenger side. When I rev the engine a bit, the tick gets faster.

It was near one of the small rubber pipes in the back of the engine on the passenger side.

Do you think that is where the fuel injectors are?

Sometimes, the noise doesn't occur, but most of the time it does. I'm thinking maybe loose spark plugs?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 06 coupe with 70k miles on it has this noise. My 07 X does not. If it is a stuck lifter it should be louder and I don't think that is the problem with mine. In fact, I don't think mine has a problem at all and it probably is just normal. If it is a lifter you can diagnose it with a stethoscope listening to the vlave cover over each cylinder. If you don't have a stethoscope you can do it with a long screwdriver. Place one end on the valve cover and the other against your ear. If it is a lifter you'll 'hear' it very distinctly.

I am going to run some valve-tap-stop fluid through mine right before the next oil change to see if it helps (it has worked perfectly in other vehicles). But, if it doesn't do anything I'm not worrying about it anymore.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by N80
My 06 coupe with 70k miles on it has this noise. My 07 X does not. If it is a stuck lifter it should be louder and I don't think that is the problem with mine. In fact, I don't think mine has a problem at all and it probably is just normal. If it is a lifter you can diagnose it with a stethoscope listening to the vlave cover over each cylinder. If you don't have a stethoscope you can do it with a long screwdriver. Place one end on the valve cover and the other against your ear. If it is a lifter you'll 'hear' it very distinctly.

I am going to run some valve-tap-stop fluid through mine right before the next oil change to see if it helps (it has worked perfectly in other vehicles). But, if it doesn't do anything I'm not worrying about it anymore.
Here is a video of the ticking sound from the back of my engine. Sometimes, the sound isn't there and sometimes it is. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm afraid that they will tell me that the sound is normal. Sorry for the quality...it's taken from my android phone.

Can anyone tell me what this sounds like to you? The engine is already fully warmed up and driven for 20 miles. I had an oil change done 1k miles ago using Mobil 1 Synthetic and the oil level is almost full according to the dip stick.

Thanks guys for your help!

Last edited by mathnerd88; 11-07-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
My engine actually kinda sounds the same. My friend's HR also sounds the same. I was a bit freaked out at first but then I realized all VQ's seem to have this same "engine noise". I noticed the sound got louder when you got closer to the PCV.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:25 PM
My engine actually kinda sounds the same. My friend's HR also sounds the same. I was a bit freaked out at first but then I realized all VQ's seem to have this same "engine noise". I noticed the sound got louder when you got closer to the PCV.
The weird part is that the noise comes and goes...It's not like it is always there...

Old 11-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Here is a video of the ticking sound from the back of my engine. Sometimes, the sound isn't there and sometimes it is. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm afraid that they will tell me that the sound is normal. Sorry for the quality...it's taken from my android phone.
I recorded the same area (and a few others) of my engine from my iphone. I don't seem to be hearing the same thing as you are. There is still some ticking coming from that area, but it doesn't sound quite the same.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by PocketMnky
I recorded the same area (and a few others) of my engine from my iphone. I don't seem to be hearing the same thing as you are. There is still some ticking coming from that area, but it doesn't sound quite the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGkvA3u0KXs
Yours sounds very different...I don't hear any distinct ticking noises like my car is making...Hmmm I'm hoping the dealer can find the issue and not tell me that the noise my car is making is 'normal.' Your engine sounds very nice =)

Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Here is another video of my engine making the ticking noise. The sound is louder and clearer in this video:

Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Yours sounds very different...I don't hear any distinct ticking noises like my car is making...Hmmm I'm hoping the dealer can find the issue and not tell me that the noise my car is making is 'normal.' Your engine sounds very nice =)
Thank you, I feed it a healthy diet of Shell Premium and give it plenty of exercise.

That said, you can distinctly hear the sound of my timing chain every morning after the automatic 2000k RPM warm-up if I have my A/C turned off. Clickity-clackity-clickity. Once the car warms up it goes away, but it always worried me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise