Cleaning engine bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Cleaning engine bay

I've been searching around for DIY engine bay detailing and the only ones I have found are for the 1st Gen g35's... I assume you follow the same steps, but does anyone have any tips or steps to follow to do this on 2nd Gen's.

Also, is Gunk's Engine Degreaser the best to use ?

Thanks !

Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
subd for answer too.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spray chemicals onto a rag with a lot of dirt holding ability. Think of a face cloth for example. Wipe and then wipe with a dry cloth to get everything off. Spray the degreaser into the tiny areas and hit them with a toothbrush. Wipe dry with another cloth. Using a can of compressed air is very helpful to blow any scrubbed debris from that tight area but make sure you are catching them with your cloth. Compressed can of air will help if you don't have access to a compressor. Sometimes water in the wrong area will throw knock sensors off so this is much safer than blasting your motor with a hose. Works just as well.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I purchased my car at 64K miles, I opened up the engine bay and it looked almost brand new. I was not expecting this but the previous owner took really great care of his car. So after purchasing the car, I emailed him about how he kept the engine bay so clean. He said it was very simple really. Every time he washed his car, he would open up the hood and scrub it with soap and water and spray it down.

I was very skeptical about this method but I decided to give it a try because he said he's been doing this for all his cars for the longest time without any problems. So I usually use the soap and water I use to wash my car and run it through quickly on all the surfaces I could reach. then spray it down with water. I am at 75K miles and have had no problem with this method and I have one of the cleanest engine bays I know at this mileage. Just a couple extra minutes added to a car wash and no added chemical.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
I would be VERY careful about spraying water all over the engine bay. I just that once before and it took me 48 hours to get the car started again.