My first post, and first mod. Had one small hiccup.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first post, and first mod. Had one small hiccup.

Hello g35driver.com,

My name is Karter. This is my first post. I've used the site for research but, never posted. I bought my g (a 07 sedan 5at) in December. The mod itch had me pull the trigger on intakes and a drop. After learning intakes don't usually ad any noticeable performance, I went with a no name eBay one. I got it just for sound and looks so I couldn't justify spending big $ on one. The quality and (after some tinkering) the fit seem descent. I had to rework the pcv system by replacing the resonators with some heater hose and fittings:

My pcv system rework

At the end of the day I am satisfied with the mod. After the $120 I spent on the intakes and ~$20 on heater hose and fittings from a local parts store, I get a nice sound at WOT and 4k+ rpms. They also look good, I think:
The finished productI don't know if it's just in my head or if it's because of the poor condition of my air filters before but, It seems to have improved performance as well. Not bad for $140 IMO.
Now I'm just waiting for my Tien S techs. I just wanted to introduce myself and share my first mod experience. I'm actually kind of proud of it even through is just a cheap eBay part. Let me know what you guys think. Constructive criticism is welcomed. I know I will get some about my choice to put eBay parts on my car, lol. I will update if I have any problems with it. I will also let you guys know my thoughts on the S techs when I get them in and installed.

Drive Safe!,
Karter

Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to the G35 Driver forums The Karter! You may find installing that polished aluminum intake will cost you major HP once summer get here and your engine is breathing very hot air! If you get beat by a VW Rabbit don't blame us! Also, a clean engine runs better not to mention how it looks, spend some time under your hood...cleaning! Sorry, I just remember when G owners took pride in what they drove!
Gary

Old 04-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Welcome to Driver!

You have to keep in mind that while any intake kit makes the same power, the intake filter's quality still matters. And yes that intake feels nice right now, but notice how it is sucking in air from the engine bay - that's going to mean a power loss whenever that engine bay gets hot, whether because it's summer, or you've been running that motor hard for a bit.

Last edited by dofu; 04-15-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:00 PM
Heat Shield

Thanks for the advice. I live in South Texas. The air outside of the engine bay isn't much cooler that the air in it, lol. Do u guys think a heat shield would help. If so, where can I get one? Also, what about replacement filters? When these get some wear n tear what should I replace them with? Whats your favorite dry filter? Don't really want to do the maintenance on oiled ones. Thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2017, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by TheKarter
Thanks for the advice. I live in South Texas. The air outside of the engine bay isn't much cooler that the air in it, lol. Do u guys think a heat shield would help. If so, where can I get one? Also, what about replacement filters? When these get some wear n tear what should I replace them with? Whats your favorite dry filter? Don't really want to do the maintenance on oiled ones. Thanks in advance
AMSOIL makes quality dry cone filters to replace what you're currently running. They offer many different sizes, all you need to order w/b length and inside diameter of the inlet. South Texas, heat and humidity but a great place to live! The hot air those filters are ingesting along with the heat in those metal tubes, you could likely cook dinner from the temp. Heat wrapping the tubes you'd still have the filters gulping hot air. So it comes down to do you want cool looking (even if it's filthy) or a ride that gets down the road regardless of the temp?
Gary

Old 04-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Thanks

I'm gonna look into AMSOILS when these dirty. Thanks

Old 06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Update: I ended up going back to the stock airboxes with K&Ns. Those intakes where always very hot to the touch and to top it off, I opened my hood one day and found one of my filters had fallen completely off the tube. Don't know how long it had been like that. I may or may not have tightened it good enough during the install. I believe it had more to do with the heat on the intakes though. Either way I just didn't trust it or those cheap filters anymore after that. Another lesson learned

Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Welcome. Good choice on replacing the intakes with stock. Honestly I think most of the parts Nissan dev'd for this engine are ideal. You might get a little gain here and there but minimal

If you really have the pref mod bug get and exhaust.

Also post up some pics of the ride after the s techs!
​​​​

Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 PM
I posted n the suspension forum but I'll post them here too. Next mod is probably going to be a Top Speed y-back exhaust

Old 06-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Very nice!

Good setup with those rims man it looks like it's on coils it's so low. Did you get a camber kit or just get the alignment done?

Seems a little lower in the back but prob just the angle.

Any plans for spacers?

Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Got voodoo13 arms and spc toe bolts in the rear. I'm probably going to order kinetix arms.for the front on payday. I might go with spacers after that depending on how it looks with less camber up front.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by TheKarter
Got voodoo13 arms and spc toe bolts in the rear. I'm probably going to order kinetix arms.for the front on payday. I might go with spacers after that depending on how it looks with less camber up front.
same here.

Looking good man I love the height of that drop.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:12 PM
The Kanter, have you done any research into those Kintex adjustable a-arms? Make sure they'll have the adjustability to bring your alignment back to OE specs...if not you've wasted a lot of $$!
Gary

Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 AM
They're advertised to be adjustable up to +/- 1.5°. Ive come to realize that doesn't mean they are though. They seem to have good reviews now that the ball joints have been revised. Also, I like the design. It makes more sense to me than the SPC. Spl, voodoo13, and z1 all look nice but I don't think I need caster adjustment. I'd rather keep it simple with the kinetix, I think. Do u have a front camber kit Gary? What would u suggest?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by G35freaks
same here.

Looking good man I love the height of that drop.
thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.